Sign in to follow this  
Kallelankulli

Random black screen with "Receiving"

Date/Time: Several times on different times, dates and versions

What happened: Doing whatever, running, walking, proning, looking with binoculars, doesn't matter, the screen just goes randomly black and the message "Receiving" comes up, like if you would be just spawning. It started doing this randomly after 1.7.2, different servers, friends not having this problem. Game goes on the background, I can hear the sounds, sometimes I can even walk but the screen is black with only "Receiving" visible.

Where you were: Several locations

What you were doing: Happened while looking with binoculars, walking, running, standing and proning.

*Server(s) you were on: SE 5, 6 9 and 10 servers, the swedish ones

*Your system specs:

Ati Radeon 6970HD 1GB

AMD Phenom X4 965 Black 3,4 ghz

4gb DDRAM 1333 mhz

I'd like to point that none of my friends who have been playing in same server / location have had this problem, it randomly does it after playing a while, around 25mins or so, whenever it comes up I have to reboot the game, it doesn't "freeze", just the receiving pops up and screen goes black. I can't go to menus or anything either, but sounds are working in the background. Should not be any overheating issue either, due to the game didn't have this problem earlier, could pull an allnighter and game was working fine. I recall switching Video Memory settings to "Default" from "Very High" at some point, MIGHT be the source of the problem, but I can't say for sure. I'll try to play with Very High once again.

Confirmed this bug for myself again, and I found out that if you set the Video Card Memory to "Very High" instead of "Default" it doesn't happen anymore. I've heard that setting your video card memory to "Very High" only uses up to 512mb of video card mem, when putting it to "Default" it uses full 100%, in my case 1gb of memory, which I would ofcourse like to use, but I can't confirm if this is true.

For now, the game is working fine with "Very High" setting, but if it really is that having it on "Default" makes it use up to 100% of the video card memory, I'd like to have that option usable. But imo this might be arma bug and / or something to do with my own card instead of the game itself, I'll be formating and updating my drivers and stuff within few weeks, I'll get back to re-confirm if the bug still appears, or if it is gone.

anyone ever come out for a true fix for this? I have to run my vid. memory at default in order to avoid the artifacing polygons blotting out my vision.

I was able to fix this myself, maybe it was luck lol

My skype is gardenman1337 anyway if you want to know more