Sign in to follow this  
duddbudda

WTF is... TB interviewing Rocket for?

Total biscuit is a good guy, an articulate and widely-played everyman doing PC gaming a service

but his 'Hyper-WTF is' with Rocket betrayed an overwhelming lack of preparation, dishonouring both himself and his guest

things start out well enough, TB is able to give and take whilst covering the basics that would give the interview an invaluable tutorial element

unfortunately, TB has no experience with the fiddly UI, idiosyncratic netcode or the importance and practice of stealth

as mentioned, Rocket's tuting could have made for something great

but TB doesn't admit that the uses and values of various loots, or how to interact with them, are out of his understanding; we spend half an hour staring at the inventory while TB fumbles blindly

far worse, TB has no opinions of his own and no game-time to draw on when discussing DayZ's key issues

consequently, TB pays little heed to comments from Rocket about a DayZ standalone while poorly rehashing issues covered here and on reddit dozens of times every day

frustrated and frayed, TB welcomes his death, sounding as bitter as he did when he threw his SC2 laddering off his stream

now, TB is mad busy atm and probably struggled to find time for the interview letalone the homework it needed, but that doesn't excuse the mess

DayZ is alpha and could have happily waited for TB to find time to do the ground work

PS: this is a rough rewrite of the post I lost accidentally hitting the 'back' macro on my mouse; the remedial formatting and basic detail of the argument results from a complete lack of time

if I have failed to be competant in my criticism and come off as rude to either TB or Rocket, I ask it be overlooked as the consequence of the brevity and concision I have been forced into

if readers find this unacceptable I will remove the post and rewrite it later in the day

This is like a non issue...TB had a pretty cool interview with a guy who's made a great mod, and you're writing some spergy complaint about it? What did I just read?

I thought it was fine *shrug* yes, TB came across as a beginner noob, but so what? The questions he asked seemed decent enough.

TB's WTF is... series is and has always been, and he's said it over and over, "a first impressions" of a game. What you saw was his first impression, whether he be confused and still figuring it out or whatever.

what you saw was in fact what any new player going into DayZ will encounter and their first impression of the game.

what you saw was in fact what any new player going into DayZ will encounter and their first impression of the game.

Well, that's not strictly true. He started with a gun and seemed to have some sort of god mode enabled given the amount of times he was hit with very little blood loss.

I actually find myself disagreeing and not really liking TB's stuff most of the time, but I thought that the DayZ video wasn't too bad. Actually I found it pretty fun, much more entertaining than it would have been if they had just sat down and had a chat.

Sure, most of the questions asked have been asked and answered plenty of times, but when you get down to it, pretty much every interview rocket does revolves around the same few questions. Do you know why? Because that's what people want to know, d'uh. Sure, you could try to go for a really "unique and original" approach and drill rocket for an hour about whether there will be flowerpicking in DayZ in the future, but who the fuck would really care?

As others have said its a first impressions video what else did you expect?

Disagree entirely.

TB has a time deadline to release videos - they bring an income in for him depending on how many views he receives. He doesn't have the time to play a game/mod the many hours we have to approach Rocket with detailed questions we'd expect. That applies to all the first impressions he does on his videos. You can't expect anything intricate because he simply doesn't have the time to do the research.

Total biscuit is a good guy' date=' an articulate and widely-played everyman doing PC gaming a service

but his 'Hyper-WTF is' with Rocket betrayed an overwhelming lack of preparation, dishonouring both himself and his guest

things start out well enough, TB is able to give and take whilst covering the basics that would give the interview an invaluable tutorial element

unfortunately, TB has no experience with the fiddly UI, idiosyncratic netcode or the importance and practice of stealth

as mentioned, Rocket's tuting could have made for something great

but TB doesn't admit that the uses and values of various loots, or how to interact with them, are out of his understanding; we spend half an hour staring at the inventory while TB fumbles blindly

far worse, TB has no opinions of his own and no game-time to draw on when discussing DayZ's key issues

consequently, TB pays little heed to comments from Rocket about a DayZ standalone while poorly rehashing issues covered here and on reddit dozens of times every day

frustrated and frayed, TB welcomes his death, sounding as bitter as he did when he threw his SC2 laddering off his stream

now, TB is mad busy atm and probably struggled to find time for the interview letalone the homework it needed, but that doesn't excuse the mess

DayZ is alpha and could have happily waited for TB to find time to do the ground work

PS: this is a rough rewrite of the post I lost accidentally hitting the 'back' macro on my mouse; the remedial formatting and basic detail of the argument results from a complete lack of time

if I have failed to be competant in my criticism and come off as rude to either TB or Rocket, I ask it be overlooked as the consequence of the brevity and concision I have been forced into

if readers find this unacceptable I will remove the post and rewrite it later in the day

[/quote']

Why didn't you just make a live interview with Rocket?

I find this highly unneeded. TB lets people see what the game is about, what the things are that happen to a noob. Already has a funny thing happened to him, took the things from a afk person. The questions are nice and give some more information. Of course it could be better, but that is with everything. It was a good interview and entertaining gameplay.

TB's WTF is... series is and has always been' date=' and he's said it over and over, "a first impressions" of a game. What you saw was his first impression, whether he be confused and still figuring it out or whatever.

[/quote']

Exactly what Rowrin said ^^

His WTF videos are mostly directed to gamers that haven't checked out X game yet.

I found it slightly underwhelming, but I understand it is hard to do an interview and be playing the game at the same time. Dayz more so then most games as it requires alot of concentration at times. Ideally they could have just added in 30 mins of footage from the game, but I thought it was cool they where playing together.

TB may have covered what is written on these forums/Reddit however I quite enjoyed getting to hear what Rocket had to say and listen to his reasoning behind decisions that have been made for this mod.

TB's WTF is... series is and has always been' date=' and he's said it over and over, "a first impressions" of a game. What you saw was his first impression, whether he be confused and still figuring it out or whatever.

[/quote']

Actually this is quite a good point watching the video shows *ALL* of the aspects that need to be dealt with to make a new players introduction smooth.

Inventory, moving / stances and weapon sound, we have all learnt this either the hard way, from previous A2 experience or through some one taking the time to explain it all.

Hmm... Didn't notice this..

Having just watched it though I've gotta say that was a pretty good interview especially given TB's normally brilliant situational awareness. (sorry, cruel yes, lol. True too.)

My only real gripes for an intro video would be given what the mod actually is it couldn't possibly cover everything.

1) TB had clear problems with the inventory and interface yet was too distracted to say anything. Torch example (fixed in 1.7.1.5) and as a consequence lost all his mak ammo (though given classic TB, its not surprising he didn't notice HOW MUCH ammo he actually dropped.), tried to pick up the axe with a filled primary (didn't work but fixed or more accurately avoided in 1715), didn't know how to use the backpack, couldn't tell when there was nothing to pick up etc.

These are pretty obvious problems and are mostly tied to the arma 2 inventory being the brilliantly user friendly thing it is since for a new guy it gives exactly no feedback whatsoever. e.g. It either works or nothing at all. The information needed to determine why did that not work is missing so you can't learn easily..

2: Basic game options and setup. Normally when TB does a WTF he goes over the interface and video options as a minimum requirement. None of that here though and lets be honest a lot of new guys are missing a setup guide which would actually help them. (fuck: even a basic idea as to how to configure the thing).

E.g. Whats with all this motion blur shit, should probably turn bloom down to get some more frames.

Game controls? HaHaHaHaHaHa... off you go then, good luck with that.

3: Lots of guys are buying ARMA for just this mod and dont realise how important the tutorials are. lol, helicopters... how the fuck do they work?

4. Even more basic game options: head bob and floating aim point. Turn the first one off, turn the second one on etc.

5: The more game play mechanic stuff. Why am I starving and yet so fat? I can only walk through doors sideways ffs.

6. Lastly... well. OK who the fuck has Dean as a guide for their first play through?

What thousands are experiencing is:

Spawn in the black kinda black you could expect from being in a big sack filled with black things.

Take 5 steps trying to figure out what the fuck is actually going on.

Fall off the pier in Cherno and drown.

If on the other hand there was some form of mechanism in place to check as to whether the player had completed the tutorials (or even a few of them) before being able to log into a server the situation may be completely different.

(though i don't know whether that would make the situation worse or better... lets face it a lot of people think arma behaves like doom, try to treat it as such when it doesn't, they then get both confused and annoyed which doesn't exactly make for a good first impression).

Playing the default arma tutorials would help, but the tutorials also suck at the same time since they're aimed at the solo player campaign.

I don't know if DayZ explicit instructions would help bring the two communities together or just encourage the separation of DayZ as a separate game in its entirety..

I thought it was solid. It's a first impressions show, his first impressions were very similar to mine. Especially the problems he had with his inventory, they mirrored mine when I first played, I had no idea what I was doing. Let's be honest here, the inventory system isn't very intuitive.

Also he explains where he got his Makarov from, he says he found an AFK player and took it out of his backpack.

[/quote']

^This, OP must be so hardcore he don't even remember how it was to be a nub