bad_mojo (DayZ)

Keep the zeds outside

So tonight while playing I stumbled upon the one industrial building with the raised walkway and little room. Anyway, I had a tail of infected when I came to the building and unlike most of the buildings they didn't try to come in, instead they ran around the building constantly.

This made it very difficult to kill them all, I'd see them run past the door really quick but couldn't get a shot on them. When I would step outside to try and kill them they'd run at me and I'd be forced back inside.

This was only about 3 or 4 zeds. So I can only imagine how crappy it would be with a large hoard. Perhaps the zombies should be changed so they just run around buildings until the player comes out. This way you couldn't just get a big line of zeds and then sit in the entrance popping heads as they very slowly walk inside.

TL;DR? zeds suck at being in buildings, make them stay outside and run around.

I believe this is not the best approach. Since players duck into buildings to get a chance to pick off zombies and use his or her's ammo, having the zombies run around would just cause the player to camp inside buildings for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that the current system of zombies walking toward you in buildings is at least threatening even if it's barely threatening. Zombies just sticking to the outside when you are inside a building is not threatening in the least bit because they are not trying to attack you.

I do believe that zombies attacking the player in buildings currently isn't very threatening, and definitely needs to be revised.

I suppose that logically, in our minds, we feel that we have two advantages when considering this zombie apocalypse thing.

Reasoning and range.

This is a problem with both. I think that if a building has open doors or a large opening to get inside, it's perfectly fine for them to come in.

I had this experience the other day:

I had entered a large industrial building (the one with a door at each end, the stairs in one corner and the catwalk around the perimeter). It was dark and 1.7.1.4 had just come out, so as I entered the building, I attracted the attention of a couple of zombies.

I decided that getting up the stairs was a priority as I could bottleneck them. I didn't have a gun... But I had just found the "hatchet"(axe).

So I position myself up the catwalk and toss a can or two toward the other end of the room. That went well, as they decided that was more interesting than I was.

The problem arose when I had dispatched them, and another zombie came into the room ...

Through the closed door at one end of the building.

Basically, it feels like closed doors don't exist to them. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the arms engine, or the doors are a specific type of non-object object (like bushes), but it breaks the cardinal rule of zombie avoidance. It SEEMS like a barrier, but it's not. I would certainly love to have them batter down say, a house door, but that might be asking for a bit much from the engine (but caters to another excellent zombie trope).

So, until told otherwise, I'm assuming that doors mean nothing except an obstruction to MY vision and mobility, not theirs (it should be both).

Once we have established a safe place to fight back, range is the human advantage. Gunning down zombies is always the traditional, preferred method of dispatch. And yes, we will attempt to contrive safe places from which to do it.

We don't need to artificially have them kept out of buildings, we just need things that appear to naturally limit them to do exactly that.

When people have 20 zombies behind them, this would just make those people camp and, if they don't see a way out, disconnect.

I believe this is not the best approach. Since players duck into buildings to get a chance to pick off zombies and use his or her's ammo' date=' having the zombies run around would just cause the player to camp inside buildings for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that the current system of zombies walking toward you in buildings is at least threatening even if it's barely threatening. Zombies just sticking to the outside when you are inside a building is not threatening in the least bit because they are not trying to attack you.

I do believe that zombies attacking the player in buildings currently isn't very threatening, and definitely needs to be revised.

[/quote']

I would rather see the zombies be able to run indoors. If that change was made this suggestion would be pointless. But in the mean time, I think this would make things more difficult. If you wanted to kill the zombies chasing you, you couldn't just run into a building and have them all line up nicely, you'd have to do it in the open, or from the door of a building as they run around, wasting lots of ammo.

The only people this would make zombies less threatening to is people without a weapon, sure they could just run into a building and be safe, but they'll have to leave their safe haven sooner or later. Or do what Turin said, have a few zombies go inside and a few stay out.

I suppose that logically' date=' in our minds, we feel that we have two advantages when considering this zombie apocalypse thing.

Reasoning and range.

This is a problem with both. I think that if a building has open doors or a large opening to get inside, it's perfectly fine for them to come in.

I had this experience the other day:

I had entered a large industrial building (the one with a door at each end, the stairs in one corner and the catwalk around the perimeter). It was dark and 1.7.1.4 had just come out, so as I entered the building, I attracted the attention of a couple of zombies.

I decided that getting up the stairs was a priority as I could bottleneck them. I didn't have a gun... But I had just found the "hatchet"(axe).

So I position myself up the catwalk and toss a can or two toward the other end of the room. That went well, as they decided that was more interesting than I was.

The problem arose when I had dispatched them, and another zombie came into the room ...

Through the closed door at one end of the building.

Basically, it feels like closed doors don't exist to them. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the arms engine, or the doors are a specific type of non-object object (like bushes), but it breaks the cardinal rule of zombie avoidance. It SEEMS like a barrier, but it's not. I would certainly love to have them batter down say, a house door, but that might be asking for a bit much from the engine (but caters to another excellent zombie trope).

So, until told otherwise, I'm assuming that doors mean nothing except an obstruction to MY vision and mobility, not theirs (it should be both).

Once we have established a safe place to fight back, range is the human advantage. Gunning down zombies is always the traditional, preferred method of dispatch. And yes, we will attempt to contrive safe places from which to do it.

We don't need to artificially have them kept out of buildings, we just need things that appear to naturally limit them to do exactly that.

[/quote']

It's the artificial way they have to walk very slowly inside the building that I'm trying to get removed from the game. It is a huge factor in how we all play this game.

Every time I watch a zombie go from sprinting to walking slowly because he stepped into a building, it tears me out of the experience and reminds me it's a video game that can be "boosted". Meaning you're just abusing an exploit in the game engine to "win".

But, I do agree about the doors.