Sign in to follow this  
King of kong

Zombie Pack-Like Behavior

Go back and look dude. I did lol

Oh sorry. My browser wasn't loaded properly so it didn't show all.

I see this idea is influenced by Land of the Dead where they had Big Daddy(zombie leader) of their undead group.

Hey do like the additional hordes, i would prefer to be threaten by zombies instead of players. The more Zombies the merrier:D

But first of all they need to fix those zombies path finding, so they will stop glitching. Sadly with arma engine those zombies damn stupid and bugged.

Hey do like the additional hordes, i would prefer to be threaten by zombies instead of players. The more Zombies the merrier:D

But first of all they need to fix those zombies path finding, so they will stop glitching. Sadly with arma engine those zombies damn stupid and bugged.

yeah they have worked on path finding for SA. so we shall see.

I see this idea is influenced by Land of the Dead where they had Big Daddy(zombie leader) of their undead group.

Actually it's not. It's influenced by a series of Zombie books I've just picked up Called "The Enemy" by Charlie Higson.

Personally I think it would make more sense for them to group (and ungroup) as simply and dynamically as possible. The first zombie who becomes aggro would attract other zombies, up to a certain number, let's say 6. They would then assign that particular one as a "leader." 1/3 of the followers in that pack could also attract other non-aggro zombies, so they would become pack leader for their own sub group. Like so.

2     2  2 2   2 2     

3     3 3  3 3  3     3 3  3 33    3

4   44 4  4   4  4    4 4  4   4   4  4  4     4  4   4   4 444 4 4  4

And so on.

Each numeral represents a zombie. The rows represent hierarchy. Bold numerals represent "leader" zombies.

This way, when one or more of the leaders takes a separate path from the original leader (1) of the horde, the following zombies will intelligently swarm in diverging (and merging) paths. Also, Instead of each individual zombie having to target the player, and then pathfind for itself, the one zombie targets the player, and the others simply follow it (due to it's aggro state) until they also reach said player. I think this model would also work well for the hoarding idea that rocket was mentioning, which would cause zombies to sort of "migrate" around the map.

To save processing power, the zombies need to be extremely simple. If their pathfinding and AI becomes too complex, it's not going to be possible to put 3,000 zombies on the map all at once. The mod can barely handle 500 on a good server. Adding too much to the zombies could be disastrous in terms of performance.

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I dunno bout this idea...

I would like pack behaviour when in close proximity to other Zeds, a zombie without a LOS will follow another Argo zombie.

Zombie screeches alert other zombies.

A pack mentality where one zombie might be smarter alone? Like some say a person is smart...people are dumb? Pack of unorganised zombies will run in the same direction, lone zed might take a back door and attempt to sneak.

I don't like set hierarchies, maybe fed zombies and non fed zombies. For example after a feed they'd have a bit more energy to burn up.

That's what I'd like off the top of my head.

• Like 1

An idea I would enjoy is that Infected simply follow the 'monkey-see, monkey-do' level of cognition that would then allow naturally for huge herds of zombies to occur. It seems to work best here.

• Like 1

I think it would be an interesting sight to watch the zombies kill each other from a distance ;)

I love the idea of zombies fighting over someone's body their social skills are gone and it will be their DNA what is keeping them alive animal instinct is all they have left, eat or be eaten they should have a fight with one another and if they smell blood on. Someone they should all go charging, it will be a cool thing you can take take someone cuff them take their gear of them, cut a blood bag on them and run ad watch the zombies kill the player and fight each other. Then you get the zombies after you because you didn't wash the blood on your pants lol

• Like 1