Airsoft

Chat replacement

So I find that the current Arma chat is a bit of an immersion breaker, I'n the main game it is meant to recreate a military radio network, but I feel that this mod can do better.

My proposal would be to remove text chat and replace it with a voip server, this would be based on proximity.

There would be three options to start, a talk option and a shout option

Whisper: you can be heard 5 meters away, zombies can hear you within this range

Talk: you can be heard 15-20 meters away, zombies hear you 30 meters away.

Shout: you can be heard by players 60 meters away, zombies can hear you 80 meters away.

This would create a far more realistic atmosphere, whispering to your friends and moving through towns silently.

I would also add Radios to the game, this could either be just simple walkie talkies that can be tuned to a specific channel or a more complex system.

Radios could have varying ranges, with more complex military grade radios needing to be repaired before use (like vehicles) these could have a global range with the possibility to encrypt signals.

you could even include relays to make large radio networks.

This would add the ability for small groups to coordinate, and a goal for larger groups to strvie towards. Vehicle mounted radios could have a far larger range.

For bandits out there you could find a radio and tune into a frequency to spy on other players, adding new tactical depth.

This would enable far greater team play, and an emphasis on creating a base of operations.

Anyway that's just my idea to add greater realism and atmosphere to an already great mod.

What do you all think?

ACRE includes everything you wrote here. it has also been suggestet several times.

but rocket already showed the problems:

ACRE presents only two problems.

Firstly' date=' the barrier to people installing it. People might find that a bit complex.

Secondly, the classnames of your radios is mission based and goes up by number each time someone has a radio. ACRE isn't designed around persistence. So thats a complicated issue that needs to be solved.

I'm very supportive of the idea. Once the second issue is resolved, we can setup some trial servers.

[/quote']

ACRE presents only two problems.

Firstly' date=' the barrier to people installing it. People might find that a bit complex.

[/quote']

DayZ needs to move over to an addon manager like Six Updater. While this still poses the problem of having people install something, after the initial install ACRE, ArmA and DayZ can be updated at will by the dev's, and the players set it up so each time they launch Six, it checks for updates.

I fully support the idea of OP.

The current situation where everyone is using text chat in side channel, and no one is using voice chat, is quite bad for the immersion. It would be best if all text chat / voice chat channels, except direct communication, would be removed in this mod. Direct communication text chat distance could be increased to 80m which is the maximum distance of voice chat carried in that channel.

It would be nice as you'd need to move into town and actually meet people before you can talk with them.

The OPs idea of some radios in ACRE style would be nice. It would be enough to have just one type of radio, with a few different channels and limited distance. Some LITE version of ACRE could be built-into the dayZ so people wouldn't need to download a separate mod.

So what's to stop people from meeting off the game and using mumble or teamspeak or steam or even AIM to do voice chat instead of in the game itself to avoid all the penalties?

I think having the zombies hear you speak, especially hearing you better than other players can will greatly discourage talking in game.

I don't think speaking should ever be louder than a gun shot and I think multiple selectable distances would get confusing and frustrating for instance accidently shouting to your friend 5 meters away instead of whispering. It would only work if it would somehow detect the loudness of what you saidand then different mic volumes of different people will affect it too much.

I think a simpler solution would just be if direct somehow just worked for everyone and if you needed a radio for side channel and could turn it on or off.

So what's to stop people from meeting off the game and using mumble or teamspeak or steam or even AIM to do voice chat instead of in the game itself to avoid all the penalties?

This is the main problem: however acre does provide a warning when someone is not connected to teamspeak, which could be used to fill the screen(limiting play, forcing onto teamspeak), the problem is obviously someone could use vent or mumble in addition to circumvent it still. Without acre it's very difficult for more than 4 people on a shared channel to all communicate, and the immersion and added experience would mean that most people would choose to use it. I hope. Or is hope in a responsible gaming community lost? =P

I fully support the idea of OP.

The current situation where everyone is using text chat in side channel' date=' and no one is using voice chat, is quite bad for the immersion. It would be best if all text chat / voice chat channels, except direct communication, would be removed in this mod. Direct communication text chat distance could be increased to 80m which is the maximum distance of voice chat carried in that channel.

It would be nice as you'd need to move into town and actually meet people before you can talk with them.

The OPs idea of some radios in ACRE style would be nice. It would be enough to have just one type of radio, with a few different channels and limited distance. Some LITE version of ACRE could be built-into the dayZ so people wouldn't need to download a separate mod.

[/quote']

what this man said

You have to remember that the PC generation is a bit different from the PS3/Xbox generation - people generally prefer textchat over voicechat. This is simply in general though, I know a lot of people prefer voice chat and the like.

In addition, if you remove the text chat, how will admins communicate with the server population? People who have English as second language generally find it easier to communicate by written English rather than verbal English (more time to think what to say and read instead of immediately translating what was just said), and admins may well not want to verbally talk with the entire server, opting for text chat instead, haha.

I do understand how only voice chat could make the game more realistic, but don't do it to the detriment of the players. People may well just choose to go radio silence permanently if they don't have mics or don't wish to verbally talk.

This is what happens when side/global chat are the only reliable forms of communication:

15polj4.jpg