Sign in to follow this  
jaytmuk (DayZ)

Psu & Graphics card help

I recently looked into getting a new Graphics card and found this one http://www.amd.com/uk/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7790/Pages/radeon-7790.aspx#2

But it says it needs 500w+ power supply.

My Psu is only 300w (even though my current graphics card says it needs 350w lol)

My question is can i just replace my current Psu with a 500w (or more) Psu and is there anything i have look into first regarding the motherboard?

My comp specs are   Intel® Core i7 3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz  3.90GHz

12GB Ram  64Bit

Ty :)

I'd give yourself an extra 50w or so over the minimum but yeah, you can just replace your current one with a new one.

My only advice is - don't skimp on the PSU.  If you get a cheap one you risk blowing out your entire rig.

• Like 2

the psu is mounted not on your motherboard, but the computer case itdself, so buying a new psu will not depend on what mobo u have.

a new gpu however will require that ur motherboard has a PCI-E 16x 2.0 or 3.0 port (google for pictures)

- i used to run an old radeon with 450W requirements on a cheap 300W psu and it was all fine for almost 2-3 years  - not that i m suggesting u do the same, but u can act at ur own risk.

-sir mzly says that ur psu may "blow up", but thats not really what will happen. ur pc will just sart working poorly, and then after a while itll just stop complitely all of a sudden with the chance that some of ur hardware gets fucked over in the process.

Edited by h3retic
  • Like 1

Thnx for the quick replies :D

(all this came about after seeing  Star Citizen forum posts on Dayzmod forums and realizing i need some upgrades for it lol)  http://youtu.be/hzcelfmiRMg

Edited by jaytmuk

I agree with the above posts, but im pretty sure you can get a better amd card for around that same price... Or maybe not...

-sir mzly says that ur psu may "blow up", but thats not really what will happen. ur pc will just sart working poorly, and then after a while itll just stop complitely all of a sudden with the chance that some of ur hardware gets fucked over in the process.

Nah, it's not uncommon for cheap PSUs to quite literally blow up. It's also not uncommon for them to take the motherboard and CPU with them, sometimes the entire rig. Definitely do not skimp on your PSUs, lol.

https://www.google.ae/search?q=cheap+psu+blow+up&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=mHkiUuazLI6rhQf68YDwDA

Edited by mZLY

Nah, it's not uncommon for cheap PSUs to quite literally blow up. It's also not uncommon for them to take the motherboard and CPU with them, sometimes the entire rig. Definitely do not skimp on your PSUs, lol.

https://www.google.ae/search?q=cheap+psu+blow+up&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=mHkiUuazLI6rhQf68YDwDA

tis still a pretty amateurish/lame term to use.

it just beats me to hear about all the psus blowing up haha

Edited by h3retic

tis still a pretty amateurish/lame term to use.

it just beats me to hear about all the psus blowing up haha

Cheap PSUs can quite literally blow up, I've had a cheapish one shoot sparks out the back before, lol.

Cheap PSUs can quite literally blow up, I've had a cheapish one shoot sparks out the back before, lol.

cheap psu, both fun to look at and use :P

This +1 lol I had a cheapo do the same and shoot fire out the back, took the mobo with it as well.  Also be sure you get the correct form factor PSU to fit your case (atx/mini atx/ etc)