Sign in to follow this  
BigChef

Different characters/same server/same PC

I had a short day at work last Tuesday and my daughter came along, and she wanted to play DayZ while I was taking care of things. When she logged on with my laptop she could only play as me, even though she changed players in the game before launching from Commander. Her player name was there but she loaded in with my gear and in my location.

Can you play a different character from the same PC on the same server?

You would have to have a different CD key for her if she wanted her own character.  You might be able to purchase a second copy of Arma 2 CO on a separate steam account for her but I'm not sure if that would work.

• Like 1

Sorry mate, but no.

The best thing to do is bite the bullet and decide on a private hive you like and play there, and let your daughter play on the public hive (so if the phive goes offline, you only deal with your own frustration instead of explaining to your daughter why she lost all her stuff). I don't know how old she is or want to know why, but I assume young enough that she'd be pretty mad at losing all her stuff.

• Like 1

I had a short day at work last Tuesday and my daughter came along, and she wanted to play DayZ while I was taking care of things. When she logged on with my laptop she could only play as me, even though she changed players in the game before launching from Commander. Her player name was there but she loaded in with my gear and in my location.

Can you play a different character from the same PC on the same server?

You can play a different character from the same PC on the same server, but you need to purchase another CD key. It's a bit cumbersome and confusing. Cumbersome because, at least the last time I did it, you had to log out of dayz, restart steam with your other account, fire up arma 2 and afterwards arrowhead with your other account, at least to the menu screens, change your name (this part is optional and why and where it gets confusing).  Once you've run both games, close whatever one you still have up, then try DayZ Commander. You'll be logged on with your other character. You can't use your name as indication of anything, cause your name doesn't change unless you change it in Arma2/Arrowhead, regardless of what CD key you use (again that caused me heaps of confusion). Once you want to use your first character, then you have to repeat the process with your first Steam account and arma games in that steam account.

• Like 1

Didn't consider the CD key, makes sense. She's only been playing for a few weeks and likes the private hive "you've just won the load out lottery" servers so we have a camp and she likes to add to the loot stash, but seeing as how I've purchased steam/DayZ for 3 PCs now she can play on her 2nd favorite server!

Thanks for your responses.

If you have two computers and a router, I remember seeing a thread that explained how you could change a port setting so both people could play at the same time (still needed two CD keys, and two Steam accounts). Can't find that thread though :(