Sign in to follow this  
Spartan36

DayZ Staff are overlooking administrative abuse...

I would be compelled to believe this is because a good portion of your testers came from EvE.

Have you ever taken a gander at their forums? I have never in my life seen a larger collection of shit posters in one forum.

Mod's young, has a lot of attention. This has it's drawbacks as well. It will all work out in the end though. Perhaps it's an adverse reaction to the sandbox?

Nice Reign19k sounds good.

What I really don't get is why everyone is so nasty' date=' I know we have the stand back approach to moderating but its just encouraging trolls and angry people to just hate on everyone.

[/quote']

Yeah I can admit I was rude to Griff because I felt he was being dismissive/sarcastic to the OP, however its no excuse. Regardless I'm not going to get into it like I usually do with these gentlemen to avoid possibly getting the thread closed.

People like Yamm provoke trolled responses from us because they're accusing and talking rubbish. We know we can't win an argument on the internet' date=' (because its an arguement... on the internet...) so begins the trolling.

[/quote']

In all fairness, I generally try to space out my shit posts with a srs post or two in between. It's a little hard to do that in this subforum though....

Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.

Right Yammazul' date=' it is 2am in the morning for me. It may be best to just leave it

[/quote']

agreed :)

Nice Reign19k sounds good.

What I really don't get is why everyone is so nasty' date=' I know we have the stand back approach to moderating but its just encouraging trolls and angry people to just hate on everyone.

[/quote']

Yeah I can admit I was rude to Griff, I felt he was also a little dismissive/sarcastic to the OP, its no excuse however. Regardless I'm not going to get into it like I usually do with these gentlemen to avoid possibly getting the thread closed.

Well played.

I do find the last bits of screen shots that guy put up just before that thread was closed a little concerning. {CQF} owns US 21,20 and EU24,25 and has had many people log in with there tags on who where not in the clan but they don't boot them.

It really does not matter if some one is provoking them its still braking the rules.

Recover lost gear after dying from being shot

Recover lost gear after someone found their camp

BULLSHIT. Just yesterday exactly that happend to my whole team (10 or more guys).

My whole point of this thread was to raise concerns about admins abusing their powers. Not trolling against each other. I apologize for putting this in the wrong topic, I was finishing reading a thread in this topic, forgot to switch it. No point in using that fact against me, considering it was an accident.

Also, I was not targeting the forum moderators. However, I believe if they are given the right to be a forum moderator, I think that they also have the right to contact the DayZ team quicker than any of us, and have a higher influence than the rest of us regular players. Therefore, I think it would be useful if the moderators could find these issues, and at least make an effort to raise concerns to the DayZ team, rather than blow them aside, like in the link in my introduction post.

Does it not concern you guys, (DayZ staff) that ironically... On A LOT of servers, the server restarts when someone happens to kill a big group of a clan that owns the server, or destroys the camp? I've had a problem with the Dallas 1 server as well, which is why I wanted to raise the subject to awareness.

What's being done is being overlooked, is all I'm saying. I understand that you all are busy with updating the mod, making it better and better every day. I am thankful for that.

However, I don't think that it is very fair to use that as an excuse, as to why nothing is even being done about this. This can eventually become a serious issue. If admins think they can get away with this, it will never stop. And the fact that you guys are asking for such PRECISE evidence, makes it even harder for us to help you guys catch these people. There are quite a few people who have had the same issue, so I don't see why the actual evidence itself is so crucial, in AT LEAST looking into the issue.

Just the fact by itself, that the server restarts happen EXACTLY right after something goes wrong for them, that should be a clue that something is fishy. That's all I'm going to say though. Seems like things are getting a little bit on the defensive side.

Yeah I can admit I was rude to Griff because I felt he was being dismissive/sarcastic to the OP' date=' however its no excuse. Regardless I'm not going to get into it like I usually do with these gentlemen to avoid possibly getting the thread closed.

[/quote']

You are really starting to test my patience.

The OP blamed and belittled the hard-working mods, not the devs (mods who have absolutely no control over players) for in-game things. From your stand-point this fact was obvious, so you immediately labelled my reply as a sarcastic flame.

No I wasn't being sarcastic in my reply. I was actually pointing out that forum moderators have no control over in-game play. Since then the OP has edited his post in light of the fact, there was no need for you to inject your unwanted inflammatory behaviour.

I'm getting a little ticked that people here abuse first, ask later

I see admin abuse all the time. Recently, with the help of a high ranking clan member, 4 of us hit a clan base. The clan head was the server admin, and after the raid he used the server logs to ID the raiders and killed said inside man. This kind of thing puts a real downer on the game, Admins should not be allowed to get away with abusing the server. But there is very little that can be done to stop such actions short of banning the server out right. But then its highly likely the same people will just host another one.

Unfortunately its just a part of the game we will have to learn to deal with. Petty admins will be petty admins.

This whole thing is getting way out of hand and the fact that there are countless threads like this continue to baffle and confuse me. I am an admin on Dallas 24 and I have been accused of all sorts of things that I have no power to do, like spawning zombies on a player who supposedly killed me and looted my uber 1337 gear even though he didn't know what my name was. I don't have the power to spawn zombies on anything, let alone target attacks like that and I never cry about dying. I smoke a cigg and get on with my life looking for the next good loot spawn.

Contrary to popular belief being an admin is more of a hassle than a privilege, because on top of watching out for bandits and finding loot and vehicles and the like I also have to keep an eye out and make sure no one is mucking about in chat (they usually are), or spamming voice channels and lagging the server, or dukeing it out in chat like everyone does here on the forums. It is a game man. I understand that it is extraordinarily good and that you love it intensely, and I do too but you can't let that lead to you acting like a spoiled brat to everyone that is trying to help you out; and it especially doesn't help when you call the people who are making sure you have a place to play/express your thoughts and opinions on the game out and say they are not doing their job. Most of what is done administratively with this game is volunteer work and things are blowing up quickly in a way no one could have foreseen so the system is stretched to capacity and sometimes things slip by. This isn't administrative negligence or the devs or mods condoning this type of thing, it is people who are over stressed and working hard trying their best to keep up with the incoming amount of work.

Next time you want to post a thread like this on the forums instead you should go grab a beer/smoke a bowl, go outside, look at the stars and relax for a little bit because this really isn't as big of a deal as you are making it.

I see admin abuse all the time. Recently' date=' with the help of a high ranking clan member, 4 of us hit a clan base. The clan head was the server admin, and after the raid he used the server logs to ID the raiders and killed said inside man. This kind of thing puts a real downer on the game, Admins should not be allowed to get away with abusing the server. But there is very little that can be done to stop such actions short of banning the server out right. But then its highly likely the same people will just host another one.

Unfortunately its just a part of the game we will have to learn to deal with. Petty admins will be petty admins.

[/quote']

Admins absolutely do not have the power to do that, at all.

See most admin offences are easy to ignore. But when admins are openly posting on there own forums that they have used logs to ID culprits, it becomes blatant and very annoying.

So its hard to believe you when you say they do not have the power Kuro5hin420, When these people are admitting to the offence openly and acting against the inside man swiftly even though no other clan members were online at the time of the hit. Have stopped playing on the US server involved with this one now, but i know of others that have done the same kind of thing.

You can use logs to ID people, you can not kill people at all. Anyone claiming this power is either a liar or a hacker

Ive encountered admins abusing their powers as well.

From now on i'm going to leave fraps on, and fraps every kill I make to attempt to capture abuse of power.

You can use logs to ID people' date=' you can not kill people at all. Anyone claiming this power is either a liar or a hacker

[/quote']

Seems you don't understand. I'll explain in more simple terms for you.

Camp gets raided with help from inside man.

Admin uses log to find out who did it, thus seeing it was inside man.

Admin finds and kills inside man for his part.

Abuse of power being finding out who was involved when he should have no idea.

In simple terms admin cheats to find out who robbed him, then uses this knowledge to kill the guy.

Hopefully that's straight forward enough for you to understand.

Now let me just correct some of your factual errors' date=' Server Admins can not;

Relive themselves

Recover lost gear after dying from being shot

Recover lost gear after someone found their camp

Fly

Become UbEr L33t W0rr10r5

They are not given a free pass, I recently jumped on two accusations of admin abuse which didn't have any evidence.[/quote']

With absolutely all due respect, let me respond.

You under state admin powers as they currently exist.

First, vehicles exist at their last known save point according to the hive. So if someone raids a camp, steals a vehicle and then drives away a server restart will absolutely set that vehicle back to the camp in question - and usually back into the hands of its original owner. A server admin, coming upon a raid in progress, can simply wait 60-90 seconds after the players drive away and then restart the server. The players will be wherever the vehicles were in most cases, but the vehicles themselves will be back at the camp. This is when some particularly shameless admins lock the server too - so they can login, load up the vehicles and move them to safety. Ask them later and they will say it was locked to fix some technical issues.

There are other ways to use this - such as saving a vehicle in a hiding spot with plenty of gear, and then driving it into town to start some shit. If you die and don't want to lose your vehicle, a server restart will simply set it back to the hiding place. Even though you're a respawn, you can quickly return to the vehicle and retrieve gear.

Second, they can become "leet warriors" by exploiting many well-known item duplication exploits that result directly from server restarts and the behavior of vehicle and tent storage. I will not go into any more detail than that, suffice to say a single item can be turned into 16 copies of itself with four server restarts and I have heard many admins admit to this untraceable form of abuse.

Third, and most imporatntly, admin abuse in the form of server restarts/crashes will never have proof attached. How could it possibly? Admins will simply claim the server had to be restarted for technical reasons and that's that. End of discussion. Nothing the player could post would ever be accepted as proof. TS and chat logs can be faked as easily as anything. So asking for "evidence," even professionally and politely, is kind of a kick in the pants to someone who already feels victimized.

So I think it deserves a bit more consideration than just saying "You have no proof so go away." I realize you weren't that dismissive, but it's more or less the feeling I get from reading these posts. This is a serious problem in a game that relies on private server hosts exclusively.

I also appreciate that it's Alpha and the powers admins wield will dwindle as these holes and exploits are patched but honestly there will ALWAYS be the possibility of server admis flipping the switch when they're in danger (before they're deaths).

Last night, I was on US 66 and my brother and I were ambushed by a bandit in Berezino. Only ~5 people on the server, so if an admin was online there's a good chance that was him. Silenced rifle breaking all the windows, we hid out in back. Suddenly we hear an explosion out back - he tried to throw a grenade at us and it rebounded apparently. Then zombies, tons of them, and more silenced gunfire. Just as we're about to head outside to take advantage of him while he's distracted by zombies we get "Sesssion Lost."

Coincidence? That a highly geared person with NVGs and a silenced assault rifle on a very low population server happened to be saved at precisely the perfect moment by a server restart while in an incredibly vulnerable situation? Maybe... it wouldn't matter either way because I could never, ever prove anything but.

ZedsDeadBaby is one of the biggest assholes on this forum. He should be banned seriously. Absolutely destroys the community. Name calling and he is still here? Yet you ban other the second they use names? Come on you guys can make a better community than that. Is this even the official site? Why is it fine to insult and degrade other repeatedly, but not others?

ZedsDeadBaby is one of the biggest assholes on this forum. He should be banned seriously. Absolutely destroys the community. Name calling and he is still here? Yet you ban other the second they use names? Come on you guys can make a better community than that. Is this even the official site? Why is it fine to insult and degrade other repeatedly' date=' but not others?

[/quote']

Even with insults he's brought more reasonable points to discussions than most people here. I'll take some insults if it means more users that can express themselves eloquently.

And in this case, who was he insulting?

• Like 1

Well I just have one thing to say: as a server owner, we always try to have evidence of what we say, and we ban only when we are sure of an illegal way of playing. So far, we've never been wrong.

But it is hard to collect evidences, we often die with our stuff because of their cheats or hacks, and they ruin the game while they play.

What I want to say is, if you want unfair server hosts to go down , you'll have to take your time and be ready for it. And most often than not, I find "Server is locked/admin is abusive" threads without a single evidence.

There is as many ways (if not more) to ruin the game when you are a player as when you are a server host. The duplication exploit is also available to players, cheaters are still a plague and they use every single exploit to make the game not enjoyable.

Moderators are not dumb. Take several evidences of servers conveniently going down and you will see the results, they will not last long. But remember that you're always in a better position than most server hosts. While you can just go away from an abusive admin and log on another server, server hosts will have to endure and take their time (and give their money) if they want to make the experience on their server enjoyable for everyone and not ruined by some lame players.

I have seen a lot of complaining but no real solutions given. If this is the massive problem you believe it to be (It isn't as widespread or dire as you make it seem) then what would you do to solve it? Take the ability to restart the server, a critical function for admins to maintain servers stability away from them? More detailed server logs (this will increase the amount of load on the servers quite a bit)?

And god forbid you should feel victimized in a game about the zombie apocalypse and your survival of it.

I do not want people to think I am claiming that this doesn't happen. I am sure it does, and the people who are doing this should be punished, but in punishing them it is important that you don't cross the line into punishing the majority for the minorities actions.

Also, if an admin uses the server logs to find out who killed them and then uses that info to stalk and kill the involved party there is nothing you can really do about it, as shitty as that sounds. Once again, a critical function for the server to survive and for admins to do their job is what you want to take away.

Anyone have any rational solutions?

Anyone have any rational solutions?

Dont let them look at server log/ restrict acces to player positions?

As per this thread:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=18813&page=2

Server admins need access to this info to find people that are exploiting or script hacking. I was falsely accused of abusing the admin rights on these forums. If I didn't have this info these exploits and hacks would go unnoticed.

Admins that abuse their powers need be to called out, but with evidence. Just like hackers.

It's easy to sling mud and then get mad at the moderators for not cleaning it up.

EDIT: Let the community cull out the bad admins or servers. They will get a reputation for their behavior.

Its still too much power in wrong hands. If you find something suspicous you record it and send the video/picture to the DayZ Staff. Self-administered justice is not the right way.

I have seen a lot of complaining but no real solutions given.

Vehicles in motion need to be saved to the hive more often first of all so that a server restart cannot roll a vehicle back to a safe point. Also' date=' anyone entering or exiting a vehicle should save it's position and state as well.

Fresh player corpses need to be stored on the hive so that a server restart cannot clear loot and prevent a victorious player from claiming their loot from a defeated admin.

Server locking should be disabled in all but the most extreme cases. Any request to lock a server or any server locked for greater than 5 minutes should be immediately flagged for audit and review by moderators.

Server restarts should be scheduled. 15 minutes in advance at least and announced with messages on the server. Any [i']unscheduled or unannounced reboots should be subject to investigation by moderators. (I get that instability would make that an insurmountable task at the moment, but they could still run random audits on the logs). Servers with many, frequent unscheduled reboots should be blacklisted.

Staff should publish server statistics on reboots, crashes, average uptime, average ping etc. so the community can review server stats and make educated choices about the servers they frequent.