Sign in to follow this  
green_machine

Maps info, saved to the item.

Hopefully, maps in the SA will be more flexible. So, you can write on the map, placing several markers and some text perhaps.

It would be very useful, keeping track of your stashes. So... why should that info go to waste? 

Upon killing a player, you should be able to have access to all that info if he/she has been writing on their maps. Info placed on the maps should be UNREMOVABLE (Unless you're using GPS). Let's take a step closer to realism here, the maps in the current DayZ mod seem too digital.

Maps could become commodities to barter with. 
Leave a map on a dead body, telling of vast loot and lie in wait for the would-be treasure hunter.   
Could have a "destroy map" function if you have a lighter. To stop clans gaining valued info. 

Just use your imagination, quite cool how a small feature could have a dimensional impact on how the game is played.

Edited by DaveZ
  • Like 4

This is in the mod but everyone can see it by using X markers on the map. I'd like to be able to add notes along the map like on a piece of paper.

I love the idea of destroying a map with notes on it.

No freedraw. Firstly my map would look like shit, second of all, every second map would have a penis on it.

I must say, it's a neat idea, but if other players could just loot it and see my camps, I'd just print off a Chernarus map IRL, and draw on it, or even write down grid coords on a piece of paper like I do now.

Edited by Statik
  • Like 2

No freedraw. Firstly my map would look like shit, second of all, every second map would have a penis on it.

I must say, it's a neat idea, but if other players could just loot it and see my camps, I'd just print off a Chernarus map IRL, and draw on it, or even write down grid coords on a piece of paper like I do now.

Are you somebody who uses skype and see's nothing wrong with that too? 

My friend wants to use Skype all the time.

OMG we all have steam!

If other people use skype I'm not going to put myself at a disadvantage by using direct chat.

Well, there a people who want to play a game and there are people who want to immerse themselves inside a world. This is an idea for the people who want immersion. 

Just like direct chat.
It's there, people use it even tho there's Skype because they want to be surviving in a Zed+Bandit infested world

Marked Maps. 

People use it even tho you can use other resources. You don't have to place markers if you don't want to. 

IMHO, Skype is an exploit (It's been discussed in depth in other threads, this is the general outcome) and it's ruining the experience for the true DayZ player who turns his/her head away from exploits. I think it would be a damn shame if exploiters took away features that could improve gameplay for the players who want to play the Core DayZ.

I do think there should be a way of removing markers tho.
(Whenever I get ink on something, I spray it with deodorant, it liquefies the dry ink and it's easily rubbed off)

Edited by DaveZ

This just went off topic. I use TS and i see nothing wrong with it. If TS and Skype were exploits they would have made ArmA close those program when opened.

This just went off topic. I use TS and i see nothing wrong with it. If TS and Skype were exploits they would have made ArmA close those program when opened.

Whatever you do people are just gonna find a way around it... Why put the people that can't work around with Skype on phone or something at a disadvantage?

I use TeamSpeak.

No, I see nothing wrong with it.

I think you can only go so far into saying what is an exploit and "ruins the immersion". You have to remember it's a game, and just because some people don't like it if I use skype or TS doesn't suddenly mean DayZ is more than a game anymore and is more important than wanting to talk with my friends and my brothers when we play. I don't want to spend god knows how long wandering around the fucking map, hoping I run into one of my friends, hoping he recognizes me and doesn't shoot the hell out of me because we could only use direct chat.

Now, back on topic, this idea (along with journals) has been suggested hundreds of times. It's a good idea, which I guess is why people keep bringing it up.

Edited by Dutch Miller

I think you can only go so far into saying what is an exploit and "ruins the immersion". You have to remember it's a game, and just because some people don't like it if I use skype or TS doesn't suddenly mean DayZ is more than a game anymore and is more important than wanting to talk with my friends and my brothers when we play. I don't want to spend god knows how long wandering around the fucking map, hoping I run into one of my friends, hoping he recognizes me and doesn't shoot the hell out of me because we could only use direct chat.

Now, back on topic, this idea (along with journals) has been suggested hundreds of times. It's a good idea, which I guess is why people keep bringing it up.

I know there's a line to be drawn, that's why my and my friend use STEAM's text chat. Good for hooking up. Easily cast aside. Haven't killed eachother, we hook up fast enough and still get to play DayZ for what it is.

Like I said (let me phrase it differently), I think it would be a damn shame if a resource outside the designated structure of a game took away features that could improve gameplay for the players who want to play the Core DayZ. I dunno, call me crazy.

I figured it would bring objectives into the game, which it sorely needs, without them being artificial. Killing a player, finding a map with several red dots... I dunno, call me crazy 

http://imgflip.com/i/2x03y

Edited by DaveZ

IMHO, Skype is an exploit (It's been discussed in depth in other threads, this is the general outcome) and it's ruining the experience for the true DayZ player who turns his/her head away from exploits. I think it would be a damn shame if exploiters took away features that could improve gameplay for the players who want to play the Core DayZ.

IMHO, the limitations of the mod and the Arma engine ruin a lot of the experience and immersion for the true DayZ player who treats this as an experience and not a software. I think it would be a damn shame if players with a lack of vision took away features that improve gameplay from the players, who want to play DayZ as it was intended.

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

IMHO, the limitations of the mod and the Arma engine ruin a lot of the experience and immersion for the true DayZ player who treats this as an experience and not a software. I think it would be a damn shame if players with a lack of vision took away features that improve gameplay from the players, who want to play DayZ as it was intended.

Everythings optional here. 

Use skype or don't.

Use the map markers or don't.

I think your opinions are misguided and sorry if I offended anybody by perhaps insinuating that you're not a player who wants immersion, but a player who wants PVP advantage, making things easier to create an arcade experience. 

Here we have a possible feature that could improve gameplay and you're worried about being called an exploiter, rather than wondering if it's an idea that would add more depth to the game, It's not my fault we're going off topic here, I asked if he used skype, he used a similar system, question justified.

Take my attitude in any way that you want, the idea is out there, it's up to the team if they'd like to consider it.   

Precisely. Isn't DayZ about letting you play the way you want to play? Nobody is making you use skype or teamspeak, but those who want to play that way should be able to.

I think it's perfectly fair for people to use third party voice, but I admit, it is a little cheap.

Sometimes I dream of a server that could enforce game-chat only. Often times I like to play by very strict direct-chat rules with strangers. I think it's just a more interesting way to meet someone. Same for the map markers. Yeah, so you can use a piece of paper. I'll admit, I actually just write down coordinates on note-cards for use later. But it doesn't mean DayZ shouldn't support the feature. It would be great to actually kill someone and take a look at their map to see a little trail of markers and text. It's the same reason that player written notes and journals are being implemented. If the room for creativity is there, players will inevitably use it.

• Like 1

Precisely. Isn't DayZ about letting you play the way you want to play? Nobody is making you use skype or teamspeak, but those who want to play that way should be able to.

Nobody is making you use map markers or direct chat but those who want to play that way should be able to do so.

But overall, by using Skype/TS, you're diminishing gameplay value, you're denying people the rights to spy on other groups of people (who would otherwise be using direct chat) to gather info etc. Same thing would go, regarding the map markers... if all the users of Skype/TS objected towards this idea. It's selfish thinking.

I can't believe you didn't see that reply coming  :|

Not only THAT, but you only have one demographic in mind.... People with friends to play dayz with... What about the people who play alone?? Let me guess.. Having friends(/active gaming friends) makes you more important than them?  

Edited by DaveZ

Everythings optional here. 

Use skype or don't.

Use the map markers or don't.

I think your opinions are misguided and sorry if I offended anybody by perhaps insinuating that you're not a player who wants immersion, but a player who wants PVP advantage, making things easier to create an arcade experience. 

Here we have a possible feature that could improve gameplay and you're worried about being called an exploiter, rather than wondering if it's an idea that would add more depth to the game, It's not my fault we're going off topic here, I asked if he used skype, he used a similar system, question justified.

Take my attitude in any way that you want, the idea is out there, it's up to the team if they'd like to consider it.   

your original idea is wonderful. having maps with user-generated annotations would add tremendous value.

you allowed the topic to digress however, and tried to impose your perception of how the game is meant to be played on others. thats insulting.

Nobody is making you use map markers or direct chat but those who want to play that way should be able to do so.

But overall, by using Skype/TS, you're diminishing gameplay value, you're denying people the rights to spy on other groups of people (who would otherwise be using direct chat) to gather info etc. Same thing would go, regarding the map markers... if all the users of Skype/TS objected towards this idea. It's selfish thinking.

I can't believe you didn't see that reply coming  :|

Not only THAT, but you only have one demographic in mind.... People with friends to play dayz with... What about the people who play alone?? Let me guess.. Having friends(/active gaming friends) makes you more important than them?  

since you insist: VoIP is enhancing, not diminishing gameplay value. socializing with others is never diminishing an experience, and i pity you that you have such a twisted idea. your only jealous fear seems to be, that it is an advantage in pvp squad tactics. the fact that it brings people together, that it allows them to share their joy, their experiences, the most basic fuctions of human communication, seems completely lost. you lament, that people who do not have actively gaming friends are placed at an disadvantage - but every single of the people i hang out on teamspeak with  while playing DayZ, i learned through playing DayZ. none of them was a "actively gaming friend" before i met them ingame, or met them on teamspeak and THEN played with them. VoIP brings people together.  

let me ask a hypothetic question: should it be allowed to speak in direct chat in ancient greek and latin? after all, this would be - how did you put it - "denying people the rights to spy on other groups of people to gather info etc" by the means of direct chat - at least a vast majority of people, since ancient greek is an extinct language, understood maybe by some few hundred scholars in the world. should i be allowed to annotate your maps in encrypted form, thus denying the contents to the uninitiated?

to me, its you who is thinking selfish. you want to know it all, you think if you miss any communication, you will be placed at an disadvantage. Even your map suggestion includes of course an idea how YOU could profit from it by looting annotated stash locations from some poor fellas body..

the idea of leaving notes for other players is really old, and iirc unanimously supported. the map variant is a great idea. but your comments in this thread have not done a great service to the idea, no matter what anyone may think about voip.

I do not agree with anything you just said, it looks like you took a spade to a concrete floor, hoping to dig a hole.

(e47) I'm pretty sure my apology flew over your head, which shows me your objective here. That's why I'm not going to pay much attention to what else you have to say unless it has something to do with the map-marker intelligence gathering idea. 

Edited by DaveZ