Sign in to follow this  
nacrom

binoculars and maps

Two questions:

Is there a way to determine where you are on the map once you pick one up?

Can you zoom or adjust binos at all?

Thanks.

No, you need to find landmarks and work it out.

But if you pick up a GPS, it tells you the co-ordiantes you are at, so when you look at the map you can work out exactly where you are.

i look at the map and then scope out the building structures and locations, then look on my map to see if they fit. For example does the town have a dock, if so how many cranes on the dock and so on.

No sorry no zoom that i know of for the binos.

Great. Thanks guys. I love this and am glad I don't magically appear on the map but wanted to be sure. Thank god for pole lines :)

Sometimes you do magically appear on the map, if you go on a server with really low difficulty settings, but there are not many of these about. :)

If you are in a server where waypoints are enabled your life will be easier by a rough 2000%.

How to check it? Open the map, SHIFT+LEFTMOUSE in a point of your interest then press M again to exit the map and see if a waypoint appears in your hud with the distance in meters.

http://www.uvm.edu/~goldbar/FM3_25.26.pdf

There ya go, oh and that not some in game BS you can actually learn to land navigate.

In all honesty you do not need a map in this game as long as you view range is set at max and you have clear skies.

By using terrain features you can really get to where you want to be.

If all else fails follow the main roads but run 100 or so feet away from the road to avoid getting shot.

I've sucessfully navigated maaaaaaaaanytimes through this island.

This is a rough estimate of how to do it. I tend to compare treelines, dirtroads, powerlines and anything i can find actually.

(I'm actually damn boastfull over the fact i made it to Stary Sobor in pitch black ****ing darkness freshly spawned just by 'heading north'... / listened to the ocean behind me and started running. lol.)

The Right Way.

1. Aquire map.

2. Find city.

3. Read sign at the entrance of the city.

4. Use jedi-mindtrick or other ways of translating the russian letters to english ones. (fortunately i studied the former soviet language a few years back! . . So i know a letter or two :D )

5. Check the roads. Compare to map and its easy.

Advanced:

1. Find city. 'know' wich way is north. Continue your journey.

Cheatah!:

1. Google Chernarus map.

2. Find city, read sign, compare roads and head north.