Sign in to follow this  
Chrismo1233

My whole dilemma regarding killing survivors.

I'm sure many people come across this dilemma frequently, and I'm not quite sure how it is viewed by the playerbase. Just looking for some opinions!

Simply put, whenever I approach an unknown player recently I feel threatened - I've tried to be peaceful many a time and been backstabbed further down the line. This has put a feeling of paranoia in me which leads me to kill most players who don't respond to me in chat or on mic.

Because of this, I'm labelled as a bandit by the game and then I feel guilty. I don't want to kill these people, I don't want to waste their hours of effort collecting gear and keeping themselves alive, but I know for almost certain that if it's not them, it's me...

This is what I absolutely love about this game. I completely adore that this game affects me on an emotional level where I actually feel BAD for shooting at these pixels on my screen.

Not long back, I was out of food and my character was starving. I mercilessly shot a man in the back of the head who I saw running down a coastal road in the hope that he had a tin of beans for me. He had nothing. I thought to myself, 'what if that were me?'. I'd be pretty pissed to say the least.

It's a groundbreaking game mechanism that opens up so many doors for your own storytelling.

Anyone else got similar stories regarding this kind of situation, and does anyone else feel guilty by killing these people simply because they can't trust anyone in this unforgiving world?

first off, HI... second i have only been playing for a short time, and i agree with most everything you have said, how it plays with your emotions, what would you do to survive

yet 9 out of 10 players iv come across try to kill me, and like yourself i dont want to shoot at anyone, yet im to afraid to be near anyone, so my mentality at the moment is shoot first, you cant even trust a simple typing of 'friendly' in the chat bar as the person typing could trying to distract you as his friend sneaks up behind, but these are the things that make dayz so special,

the constant uncertainty, do i.. dont i.., will he/she.. wont he/she.. ???

im sure with time i might hold back from shooting on sight... but at this stage the fear has taken hold. :)

cheers