Sign in to follow this  
m_mitchell

Standalone animations

How much do they matter to you? Like when you run or walk. To me I think they are a pretty big factor in enjoyment or at least in overall graphics considering your looking at these animations 99% of the game. I just hope they are very flavorful and fluid or at least more so then the current arma animations XD

Also I REALLY AND REALLY WANT the crouching animation to be like the one from The Last of Us...

One could only wish though.

• Like 2

Animations matter quite a lot.

When you have shitty animations, not only does it look bad, but it can be a nightmare to use. Especially when you're in tight spaces like a house.

I do love how smooth The Last of Us animations are, but I doubt they will be anywhere near as good in the standalone.

• Like 3

Animations matter quite a lot.

When you have shitty animations, not only does it look bad, but it can be a nightmare to use. Especially when you're in tight spaces like a house.

I do love how smooth The Last of Us animations are, but I doubt they will be anywhere near as good in the standalone.

its impossible for dayz engine to mimic most of the freedom of movement in last of us. it is just not designed for that kind of smoothness and fluidity.

the last of us is like a movie in which u play as a character, while dayz is like a book in which u let ur imagination make up for anything lacking quality (lolo what an amazing comparison, i am on fire today)

Animations are a huge HUGE huge part of the game.

A3 beta got a new "Falling" animation that's god awful. You snap into and out of it because the only distance you can survive falling in arma is like 2 feet (if you're lucky), and you fall so quickly it's like you're flapping your arms up and down (to get into and out of the animation) it looks like you're trying to fly. I haven't been able to play in 3rd person since I saw that.

I play in third person because the first person gives me headaches, so I hope animations are cleaned up. I don't expect them to be great, and I bet zombie path finding will still be horrendous along with their animations.

The gun stance, in the standalone videos I've seen bother me. The whole elbow out thing.

Anmations of the ilk of linear AAA games have always looked better and for the foreseeable future still look better. They simply don't have to conisder to full dynamic range of everything from graphics, animation, enviroments

As long as the animations aren't immersion breakers because they look so piss poor I don't mind, so long as the collective experience is convincing enough to overcome asthetic shortcomings.

Example: SA when everything comes together. Transitions from prone->slow walk->tactical pace->sprint->vault and zombies finally act as intended, running in straight lines chasing you->leaping at you etc...without the bedlam and randomness of their current pathing. Individual animations won't look smooth and silky like Crysis but the whole package makes it pleasing and authentic.

And ARMA could mimic the freedom of movement that TLoU offers. There are mods that offer a wider range of movments than the TLoU has. From vaulting, leaping, climbing, cover systems, half-a-dozen-plus body positions, contextual enviroment interactions...the question isn't if ARMA/DayZ can do it. The question is what does such a system add to the game or does it take away from other more important areas.

Edited by Trizzo

And ARMA could mimic the freedom of movement that TLoU offers.

Well really it's just an animation so I don't see why it couldn't be done :P You move while crouched and your arms move a little and you stop everything stops and you have an idle animation. And doesn't arma have more freedom of movement?

TLoU: Run, Walk, Crouch, Hide behind cover (Haven't played it but those are the ones I guess)

Arma: Walk, Jog, Sprint, Crouch walk, Crouch jog, Crawl slowly, crawl, lean left, lean right, move your head anywhich way

Edited by M_Mitchell