Horr1d

When you log out of the game, your character will go to sleep and remain in server.

First things first; lag, laggy, server cannot handle it, PC's cannot handle it. No need comments like that.

I understand certain limitations of the client right now. Who knows what a future version or Arma 3 may bring though so lets assume its actually possible and bug free.

Anyway, when you log out in game your character will go to sleep in the server and remain there for other players to see. Other players can rob you, or kill you.

A result of this will be more people moving away from Electro and Cherno to find a safe place to stay for the night. What we get right now are people logging out in popular/high loot places. I camped the air control tower over the course of 3 hours and saw so many people spawning in or around there. This is not only unrealistic but also makes holding that position very difficult as players can pop in from nearly anywhere.

While asleep, food and water levels will go down 10x slower. If you sleep exposed in the cold or rain, you will wake up ill.

(Possible solution is a sleeping bag)

Something like this will be not only realistic, but actively move more players north as they will want a safe place to log out. Suggestions?

That's... it's... no. Just no. That is a little overkill, with how many people play now, you would just log back in dead and looted, and how awesome would that be to log off for a day, come back the next to see a big "You are dead" screen.

The issue is some people have real lives which sometimes pull them out of games at totally random times. This means you wouldnt have an option to go hide in the middle of the woods.

The 2nd issue is that what happens if you log out of one server and then onto another?

Real life does indeed suck, BUT make sure you put time aside to play! Perhaps this can be an option for expert servers only?

If you log out of one server into another then you spawn in that server and your sleeping body is removed from the other.

It is not unrealistic, but the point is that we don’t always play when we are awake. This forces players to be online most of the time, since you can be attacked where-ever you are, and you cannot defend yourself against adversaries.

Furthermore, there are some problems. I saw on the frontpage that around 75000 people play the game, and we have like 150 servers right now? That would mean that around 600 plays would be on a single server. Going from the alive characters, this would be 1800 players. Of course, the world is very large, but this induces some problems as it means that the servers do not have to grow depending on then-current active players, but on prospected players being alive.

Also, it is quite hard to find a “safe” place, as people can warp around from other servers. The ONLY way I think this is possible is by binding players to servers, and the question is if this is desirable.

Lastly, people will not be happy if they can't login for a day, effectively doubling the chance of them being killed. It does not add anything, I'd rather have some sleeping state for a few minutes after going to sleep, and then you vanish.

I like the idea of a sleeping period before vanishing! thats a fantastic improvement and way better then the typical whines that consist of "ME NO LIKE CHANGE, NO NO NO"

Lets say 1 hour after logging out your sleeping character will vanish? Can be tweaked.

Note Drygulch, I agree as sometimes I go on holidays or away for longer periods of time. I dont like the idea of being bound to a server so I guess perma sleep could be an option for the extreme end of hardcore! But I like Liquidjes tweak and actually think this would work right now, even with the game constraints!

Perhaps the sleeping bag item will reduce the vanishing time from 1 hour to 30 mins?

All players, barring a few lucky ones, would be dead within 18 hours. That means you would have to be logged in ALL the time to stay safe, and even worse, you'd need to be inside to stay safe from roaming zombies, bad weather and rain, sadly that is EXACTLY where other players would head to look for safety and loot. That means most people would die rather quickly.

Even worse, in real life a person would possibly awaken when another nears, based on noise, surrounding motion and even smell (when was the last time any survivors showered?). But ingame your character would not awaken to defend themselves, and even worse, they would be in a coma while you are logged off.

So no. I could be in on the idea of remaining on server for 15 seconds after you've logged off (slowing issues with players logging or disconnecting to escape attackers), but staying to sleep on the server would be at best suicide.

Going to bump this, as today I have had 3 players I've been engaging with log off either when they saw me, or when they thought they may lose the encounter. Its completely lame and broken.

15 seconds is better than instant, but I think 30 mins to an hour will be way better and a much more fun mechanic, allowing people to actually consider where they will sleep for the night, not just log off where ammo/guns spawn like a barn.

That's... it's... no. Just no. That is a little overkill' date=' with how many people play now, you would just log back in dead and looted, and how awesome would that be to log off for a day, come back the next to see a big "You are dead" screen.

[/quote']

+1, not everyone plays everyday mate....

Read further down, 30 mins log out. 15 if you have sleeping bag.