mattressi

Please keep no-weapon spawns

I've seen quite a few threads where people have complained about not starting with a weapon when they spawn. I thought I'd create a counter thread, for those who disagree, here (though, perhaps there's another one that I missed?).

Since the patch that removed guns from spawn, all of the servers that I frequent (Aus and NZ) have become SIGNIFICANTLY more friendly and cooperative. Certainly, there are still many shoot-on-sight douches (by this, I mean the wankers that shoot to kill because they've got nothing to lose; though the people that shoot other people because they're bored should also fall into this category), but their numbers have been noticeably reduced.

It now feels like a small accomplishment to find a weapon. This means that there aren't people running from spawn, shooting everyone they see in the hopes of killing someone with good gear, then running off. This, in turn means that those people wouldn't then later be killed in the same manner, then respawn and start again. I think spawn killing has been reduced quite significantly (at least, in my experience). People now help each other when they spawn and often will continue helping each other even after finding weapons.

I was sceptical that a solution could be found that would lower the number of shoot-to-kill douches and I certainly never thought that removing guns from spawn items would fix it, but it definitely has improved the situation on the servers I'm on.

Please ignore the whiners and keep it how it is.

I agree. Getting rid of the starter pistol is a big improvement.

As posted in another thread:

- Having a starter pistol was far too convenient

- Getting rid of it makes survival more brutal and challenging at the start

- It makes you care more about dying and going back to square one

- It discourages PvP killing along the coast and instead encourages cooperation

- It also shifts the emphasis away from PvP encounters back onto zombies. Zombies simply weren't a danger at all before

- In terms of realism, it makes a lot more sense

Removing all means of safely entering a zombie infested room/town to collect items was a poor decision. They need to implement other melee weapons fast and start everyone off with a melee weapon because seriously who wouldn't go to the garage and grab their baseball bat if this was happening in real life?

- In terms of realism' date=' it makes a lot more sense

[/quote']

Wut? Why?

You spawn at the beach, with a flashlight(?), painkillers(????) and an empty backpack(?).

Realism? Where?

Removing all means of safely entering a zombie infested room/town to collect items was a poor decision. They need to implement other melee weapons fast and start everyone off with a melee weapon because seriously who wouldn't go to the garage and grab their baseball bat if this was happening in real life?

Agreed here. No weapons at all is a little much, starting with melee in the least sounds fair to me.

I disagree. If the stealth mechanic was made easier than now (as I've said in another post, currently only slow crawling is silent, which means you need a primary weapon to move silently - this should be fixed) and more like it was before, stealth would be perfectly viable. I used to never need a weapon when sneaking.

Still, I'd certainly rather people start with melee weapons than we revert back to everyone starting with a gun.

[/quote']

Wut? Why?

You spawn at the beach, with a flashlight(?), painkillers(????) and an empty backpack(?).

Realism? Where?

Well if it were upto me, everyone would start with nothing.

Starting with a flashlight and painkillers is perhaps a bit too convenient for the player, but nowhere near as convenient as everyone starting with a pistol and ammo. :-/

- It also shifts the emphasis away from PvP encounters back onto zombies. Zombies simply weren't a danger at all before

[/quote']

Um, realism... Hmm. So what you're telling me, is that on an island that had a full blown armed conflict, where the people have likely lived there for extended periods of time, you wouldn't have:

a. an assault rifle, or atleast a bolt-action hunting rifle

b. a map, even if just to simulate knowledge of the land.

What realism? Idk, where you live but here guns are illegal and people still have them...

It's also quite likely that the infection took time to spread which would have meant widespread looting, rioting and again many weapons in many hands.

This is not realistic at all; it's for carebears that want to 'co-operate'. You co-operate with friends, there's a cost involved, you kill them you lose a friend. Strangers? Lol, something like this, where death is not instant would involve many people settling scores just because don't you forget that.

It is not realistic at all that the citizenry would be un-armed in a situation such as this.

Starting with a flashlight and painkillers is perhaps a bit too convenient for the player' date=' but nowhere near as convenient as everyone starting with a pistol and ammo. :-/

[/quote']

For realism:

Easy solution: don't let them spawn with a backpack, but with maybe a soda can. Every second survivor might have a wrist watch. Some might even have a knife ... for simplicitys sake this might be called a hunting knife.

If anything ... don't let them spawn with a band aid or painkillers. Ridicoulus!

For fun:

Just give people a better chance to make their doings matter.

[/quote']

Um, realism... Hmm. So what you're telling me, is that on an island that had a full blown armed conflict, where the people have likely lived there for extended periods of time, you wouldn't have:

a. an assault rifle, or atleast a bolt-action hunting rifle

b. a map, even if just to simulate knowledge of the land.

What realism? Idk, where you live but here guns are illegal and people still have them...

It's also quite likely that the infection took time to spread which would have meant widespread looting, rioting and again many weapons in many hands.

This is not realistic at all; it's for carebears that want to 'co-operate'. You co-operate with friends, there's a cost involved, you kill them you lose a friend. Strangers? Lol, something like this, where death is not instant would involve many people settling scores just because don't you forget that.

It is not realistic at all that the citizenry would be un-armed in a situation such as this.

I live in the UK and NOBODY I know has a gun. Absolutely noone. If a disease suddenly wiped everyone out in my city except me, I would probably have to search thousands of houses before finding a firearm + ammo.

It just seems way too convenient that every player starts out with a gun + ammo. It's much more plausible that people should start out with either nothing at all or only the very basics.

And besides, the whole point of this mod is that the player should have to FIND things in order to survive. The argument that a survivor would already be equipped with everything they need to survive is therefore rather irrelevant.

I agree with this thread. I like having spawned with no weapon. It makes you think more of "okay, I need to go find food and medical, before I find a gun and killing people right off the get-go." It really bothers me that you spawned with all the basic stuff you needed and many people would just run around player killing everyone. All in all, DayZ is a survival mod. Spawning with everything you need is not survival. For the people that can't handle the survival part of DayZ should go play Wasteland.

For me more realism would include a random pick out of a pool of certain items.

So every time you start your starting gear will be different.

If this includes pistols, fine by me (sometimes you have'em, sometimes you don't).

If this includes pistols' date=' fine by me (sometimes you have'em, sometimes you don't).

[/quote']

I quite like this idea... although there's a chance it could encourage some people to simply keep generating new characters until they spawn with something good. People are already doing this to spawn nearer to loot hotspots because they're too lazy to walk a bit.

If this includes pistols' date=' fine by me (sometimes you have'em, sometimes you don't).

[/quote']

+1

I havnt died since before the update, i dont try and make a habbit of it :)

+1 for no gun on spawn

[/quote']

I quite like this idea... although there's a chance it could encourage some people to simply keep generating new characters until they spawn with something good. People are already doing this to spawn nearer to loot hotspots because they're too lazy to walk a bit.

In order to stop the respawn spam one simply can add a cooldown.

The more tries in a short amount of time the (exponentially) longer it takes to spawn.

And/or a spawn table degrader, the more respawns in a short period of time the lower the chance one spawns with a weapon.

In order to stop the respawn spam one simply can add a cooldown.

The more tries in a short amount of time the (exponentially) longer it takes to spawn.

+1

THE WAY TO DO IT! ... And start with a ~30 seconds delay after death.

I live in the UK and NOBODY I know has a gun. Absolutely noone. If a disease suddenly wiped everyone out in my city except me' date=' I would probably have to search thousands of houses before finding a firearm + ammo.

[/quote']

And after finding a weapon and ammo you would still need welding equipment to open that damn weapons locker. :D

+1 for no-weapon spawn

I'm often in eastern Europe countries and know a lot of people there. No one is having a weapon at home unless they are criminals/policemen or huntsmen.

Isn't the country where DayZ takes place supposed to be a communist totalitarian country? Wouldn't weapons, particularly shouldered rifles be illegal? Pistol's as well? I seem to recall hearing that the old U.S.S.R. allowed shot guns in rural areas but non-hunting weapons would be very restricted. This is the best reason that I have heard for not starting with some kind of weapon. The other good reason is that it makes restarting so onerous that people will be more willing to work together...I wish I thought that was true.

Unfortunately, with the current level of zombie aggro, I think starting without a weapon just makes the game un-fun. We are playing the game to have fun aren't we?

I reiterate; if zombies weren't so aggro and didn't spawn on top of loot points this might be more doable option. For now I think it just ruins the games play-ability.

I reiterate; if zombies weren't so aggro and didn't spawn on top of loot points this might be more doable option. For now I think it just ruins the games play-ability.

I don't think the point is to be fun (I'm pretty sure rocket said that sometime). However, for an increase in balance between shooting everyone and not, spawning without a weapon is a good idea. Certainly, looting sucks right now - sneaking is impossible without a primary weapon (as I said), zombies spawn in buildings, see through walls, attack through walls, knock you unconcious in one hit through a wall (seriously, if you want zombies to knock everyone out, it just means they'll bleed out and die - please just make zombies a one-shot kill; it's faster and I don't have to wait ages to be able to respawn), see and hear everything in a huge radius, and respawn very quickly. Once these issues are fixed, I think looting will be fine again and starting with no weapon shouldn't be an issue.

As for the guy who called everyone that wants no-weapon spawning a carebear; you're a moron. I've noticed that it's only the "I want to run around and murder everyone from spawn" people that seem to call everyone a carebear (and are also the ones who always bitch and moan at the slightest mention of making the game less OVERWHELMINGLY FAVOUR SHOOTING EVERYONE ON SIGHT). Starting with a gun makes the game harder (yes; making it better to cooperate can actually make it HARDER - shooting people is NOT in any way, shape or form remotely difficult in this game). Really, anything which helps the game not massively favour the "shoot-everyone-on-sight" playstyle, would be great.

+1

As a mechanic I feel it has been good for the game, it sets the pace and mood for the game for any new player (don't give them a starting weapon and they can't confuse this for a death match game) plus it makes the gameplay following spawn more interesting and fun (imo), and (this is based in limited experience) I believe it fosters more player to player communication and cooperation right from the go.

I was against it when it was proposed, but now i'm a convert.