Sign in to follow this  
Dystar

Brand new player wondering if I should buy Arma II or wait

Hi there, I was looking to get a nice zombie game after getting jealous of my fiance who has Last of Us on HER ps3 and isnt in a sharing mood right now. I was going to get State of Decay but thats not out on PC yet and no set date. Then a friend at work told me about DayZ and how awesome it is. Watching the gameplay videos the graphics are really outdated but I still like the whole survival thing. My question is, should I go ahead and plop down the 39 bucks for ARMA II and the expansion in order to play the DayZ mod, or will they definately be releasing alph/beta? on steam soon through pre-order? Thanks in advance for your advice!

It depends on how much money you have in my opinion. It will be some time before the standalone comes out, so if you do have a lot of money I'd just buy arma 2 oa now.

thanks. dont have alot of money but do have enough to buy a game. Only other 'gaming' thing I'll be buying all year will be Occulus Rift if the consumer version of it comes out. Other than that just looking forward to beta testing TESO.

This is like the 50th thread I've seen like this...

And do what you want, Arma 2 OA is a great Military simulator and has great mods.

If you want to play DayZ you can play vanilla or DayZ Namalsk, Epoch, Breaking Point, DayZero, DayZ Takistan, DayZ Panthera etc.

thanks. dont have alot of money but do have enough to buy a game. Only other 'gaming' thing I'll be buying all year will be Occulus Rift if the consumer version of it comes out. Other than that just looking forward to beta testing TESO.

Haha bro Oculus Rift is expensive as hell.

EDIT: 100th post yay

Edited by Hosty

ok just purchased the ARMA II complete edition. so I have to install all of them to get the best textures in game? also, if I play on a public hive server and log out, then log onto another public hive server I will have same inventory correct? or does it start you from scratch every time you log in? and as far as private hives go those will retain your info just for that server right?

Public = shared hive - your gear moves with you

Private = private hive - your gear is tied to that server

Most servers are their own seperate hives, find a home server that you'll want to use mainly since your stuff won't be carried across.

Public servers can be ones that aren't whitelisted and may still be on their own seperate private hive.

I myself would just buy it because of the fact you can play just more than Dayz. Myself I like the gameplay of arma and think its a fun game so I say you should just buy it!

I've also been wondering about this question, however won't the DayZ mod be more playable than the SA alpha? It will take some time for the SA to be enjoyable, for all the bugs to be fixed. So if you want to actually "play" the game isn't better to get Arma 2 and Dayz?

ok just purchased the ARMA II complete edition. so I have to install all of them to get the best textures in game? also, if I play on a public hive server and log out, then log onto another public hive server I will have same inventory correct? or does it start you from scratch every time you log in? and as far as private hives go those will retain your info just for that server right?

Well that was a waste of money. All you need is ARMA 2 Combined Operations for $25 on steam.

As for the servers, on public, it will sync your inventory/position on the map across every public server. On private servers, your position/inventory are bound to that server only.

Edited by Gking19