Sign in to follow this  
Nate (DayZ)

See others on map...

I've been on multiple regular servers now, such as Chicago, KC, and others, where I had been able to open my map and view other players near me, or in the same town that I am in. I can also see multiple map markers which some people abuse and draw things with... I don't remember ever being in a regular server, and having the map markers appear for me.

Example: I can see myself on the map... If I'm traveling with my friends, I can see them as well. If I'm in a town, I can see most other players too if they are nearby.

I don't know if this is just a bug or what... but I hope its not a server-sided add-on aid that is there to simplify the game because that would not be too fun. Right now I'm just sticking to the Veteran servers, they seem to be consistent and normal, no silly things like name-tags or players on the map. In my opinion, they need more veteran servers...

Anyways discuss and help me to understand this better. I can't tell if someone is hacking, or it is a server-side option that the host enabled. Also, please excuse my wall of text haha...

Seconded. What server admin turned that on, it is stupid. Mostly you can only see yourself but even that ruins the entire navigation challenge in the game. Making compass and gps totally useless items. It seems servers are getting dumbed down all over. It used to be about 50/50 veteran vs regular and now it is more like 20/80.

Note also this is not the same as the map hacking that was mentioned in an earlier thread, I have experienced both and this only shows very close players and the markers are blue instead of red.

No it's a cheat. Not a feature.

So someone is hacking on the server that it happens on? because I went to like, 4-5 servers and a lot of them had the same thing happening.

It's a server-side option, not a cheat. We had this issue on the ANZ1 server and quickly got in touch with the admin to disable. No dramas, just required a server restart.

Well, the " red dots points with names " on the map is a cheat. A know one too. Happenned on EU7, and it's clearly not an option we activated.

Agreed, this should be taken off. My fear is that people start catering to the knew crowd that has never played arma before and complain because they do not take the time to get to know the landscape. I hope this mod does not get dumbed down or lose the real life feel that draws most of us to this game.

Server operators were given strict instructions to obtain consistency, if those who wish to continue to go against whats been requested of them must be dealt with. Its PvP and must be kept balanced.

Agreed' date=' this should be taken off. My fear is that people start catering to the knew crowd that has never played arma before and complain because they do not take the time to get to know the landscape. I hope this mod does not get dumbed down or lose the real life feel that draws most of us to this game.

[/quote']

This exactly, When I look on the map and I can see exactly where I'm at on the map without the need of the GPS or the recognition of landscape, I feel as if there is no point. I'm against all type of navigation aid that some servers are providing, Not including the basic in-game items you find normally like the map or compass.