Pozsich

My View on the game

As of now, this game is horrible for me. That being said, let me explain what I was expecting, what I got, and what I'm hoping for.

What I was expecting: After watching countless YouTube videos, I decided "I don't even care about ARMA, I'll get it for this mod, because DayZ looks fucking cool, and looks like a lot of fun.

I loved the idea of the mod, the gameplay looked fun, the actually interacting with people in realistic settings looked amazing, and I loved the idea of a difficult, unforgiving game.

That being said, here's what I feel like I got: A heap of disappointment, and frustration. First, I spawned with bandages and painkillers, and I thought "Oh wow, looks like a new patch changed it? No problem, I know where to go, how to hide, and how to scavenge." So I set off.

It didn't take me long to find a place to scavenge at, I found a small village on the coast somewhere. I have been running crouched the whole time, upon first seeing the buildings, I pause and look for zombies. Seeing none, I then proceed, crouched walking, towards the first building. Upon reaching this building, I start looking for an entrance. Before finding one, five running zombies come around the corner. WTF. They didn't see me. They didn't hear me. Why are they attacking me?

So I take off running. And I run. And I run. And I run. And I run. And I keep fucking running with no way to defend myself from the now three zombies chasing me. After about forty-five minutes of doing nothing but running, I begin dying, with my vision blurring. After another solid ten minutes, I die.

So, what the hell? I don't know what a new person is supposed to do, because going anywhere to get supplies gets zombies chasing you, and with no gun you basically have to die if zombies are chasing you. So, to a new player starting now, it practically seems like the point of the game is to die.

Now, I realize I've ranted here. There won't be any point telling me it's in alpha and I should stop crying, because I've played many mods and I know this. The reason I'm making this post is because I just don't understand what the Devs were thinking with this latest update.

What I want to see is basically what I saw in videos of the game before the latest patch. I want to have a shot at living, and I want to be able to have fun. I've played this game for five hours, and in that I've died three times and have only found a single gun, but no ammo for it. It's totally miserable to start right now.

Try running through buildings to lose 'em. Them zombies have LOS novadays so it's kinda easy to lose 'em if you just find a suitable spot for it. Running through a forest and zigzagging all over the place helps too.

Crouching still is fairly loud. You will have to hold shift to slow your crouching down if you havent already. You can tell by the indicators on how loud you are and how easy you are to see.

Going prone is the best option, it may be slower, but you'll be alive and wont be seen or heard.

To me it seems simple.

You didn't investigate properly, by doing a full circle of the town if possible... to establish if there definately is or isnt any zombies near by.

Play with the sound up. Don't have music over it (Not accusing you of it, just a general thing people do). Sound is very important in this game. Listen carefully and you'll know why.

I personally wouldn't suggest going into a village for any form of weapons. I would head for farmland, and look for a barn or something for a starter weapon. Farmers are more likely in my mind to have a gun than general village folk.

To avoid zombies, run through a building. They instantly slow down when travelling through it which gives you the valuable distance you so desire to make them lose interest.

Im still new to this and I bet other people can tell you more than I can, but these are things I have worked out.

First, I was walking crouched, as in slow. You can press shift twice to toggle it instead of holding it btw. I had one ear indicator and three eyes, but there was no way the zombies could have seen me. I don't play with the volume loud, but nor do I play with music on.

I didn't know they slowed down in buildings, but I've actually only found four building I could enter, one being a barn, so idk if that helps me...

I did lose some in the forest once, but it doesn't always work.

Got this game just for the mod as well. Watched countless youtube videos that made the game really seem awesome. First day I buy it and play it I don't start out with a weapon, and I have to crawl around at 1/10 a mile per hour across a map big enough to harbor big mama's ass and all I have accomplished is dying 8 times and killing 2 zombies with a pistol I found that had 7 rounds.

This game is insanely hard, there has to be a gap. I know the game is meant to be hardcore and give you that experience, but honestly right now it's not really that fun.

Give us back starter weapons please.

So far this has been one of the best games ive played.

I originally was concerned that not having a weapon or food/water would be too difficult, but i have since learnt to change my playstyle to reflect the changes.

You can lose zombies now in buildings, and with the addition of melee it makes defending yourself a little easier. Food and water is still a small issue in its lack of spawns.

the only thing that really bugs me now is that i *still* cant choose a female skin :(

And/or make zombie aggro like it used to be. Zombies seem at least four times as alert when I'm playing as they are in any of the videos I've seen.

And/or make zombie aggro like it used to be. Zombies seem at least four times as alert when I'm playing as they are in any of the videos I've seen.

^^

There aren't any video of current patches, because of how often the game is updated and bugs are being sorted, which unfortuantely make more errors in the process.

The engine that this game is based on is a simulator. It's not meant to be an action RPG. Treat it like one and expect it and you will be sorely dissapointed. This is why the game is so popular, because no zombie apocalypse game has took the realistic route. They have gone with the ability to take on the hordes fearlessly and triumph.

This game requires a lot of thought and planning. I highly recommend getting some friends together as there is strength in numbers... the only downside to this is there can be arguments over who gets weapons and food.

To counter this we have voluntered for roles between us. EG, medic with all of the bandages and morphine etc. The Scout/Sniper (myself) who goes in on one man missions alone, the canairy down the mineshaft so to speak, but my prefered weapon of choice will be a sniper rifle as soon as I get my hands on one. So my role will change when I get one and i'll cover our canairy.

Another tip, don't run across an open field. You're essentially waving a neon sign saying "IM A TARGET" While blowing on an air horn.... I've seen a friend get taken out by a sniper because he thought it was safe to run across an open field and make a mad dash to some woods.

Oh I know it's a simulator and it's close to my expectations.. the most recent patch seems brokenly difficult for beginners is all.

On the bright side, I stole someones bike tonight.

I've confirmed the zombie aggro with multiple tests.. And as far as losing them easier, I even tried on a bike to get rid of them and it took forever to finally shake them loose. They are way too sensitive no matter what stealth approach you use.

All I can say is: chill out newbies!

And I don't say this in order to offend you bat rather calm you down. I'm playing the series for over a decade now and I can tell you that it is hard for me too!

But it is all due to the most recent update which changed the Zeds detection behaviour and obviously there seems to be some sort of bug which lets them see and hear far wider than it was intented.

This is going to be fixed and you will have the same experience + fun as the people you saw in those YouTube vids.

Hang on just a few more days and I'm sure a fix for these problems is in the making the second I write this.

See you around on Chernarus!

Now' date=' I realize I've ranted here. There won't be any point telling me it's in alpha and I should stop crying, because I've played many mods and I know this. The reason I'm making this post is because I just don't understand what the Devs were thinking with this latest update.

[/quote']

Check out the threads around here. The idea was to increase the range of detection, while LOS was implemented. But there are still some problems with it, so this can be considered partly a bug, and partly an error from your side.

If you prone, then you should not aggro anything I guess.

So yeah, basically I told you it's an Alpha and you should stop crying, but in a more subtle way ;)

Yes they are and its still undergoing tweaking i guess' date=' but the vids were way early when it was before a load of releases

Oh I know it's a simulator and it's close to my expectations.. the most recent patch seems brokenly difficult for beginners is all.

On the bright side, I stole someones bike tonight.

Thats the way to look at it lol

Its a very good mod, not perfect by any means but its being fine tuned as we go along.

Yes its very hard atm but bear with it and im sure the dev team will find a path that works for noobs and experienced alike

Thank god for the last hotfix. I was actually able to sneak past zombies. And I got my first gun with ammo! Lee Enfield... Time to player kill >:)

BTW, can someone tell me how servers updating work? It seems like the vast majority aren't updating, making the ones up to date pretty packed and hard to get into. And after my wonderful experience with the latest hotfix I refuse to play on an earlier version right now :P

They have to bring their servers down and update them. So its as and when the host decides to.

I wouldn't say this game has been broken for noobies... because I am infact a new player my self and im getting along just fine. Granted I died a few times learning but I expected that.

Btw. Lee Enfield = Dinner Bell. You'll see soon enough. I learned that one the hard way.