Sign in to follow this  
dz302

Spawn protection?

I just logged in and someone had shot me before my screen even loaded...Quite frustrating.

It's a tough world man, you wash up to shore, lost, afraid, and if you're unlucky, you meet a hungry zombie, a mean player, or slip on a rock and die. Such is the life in the zone, deal with it, the game was nice enough to give you a pistol to off yourself with. I know I'm sounding mean, but it's realistic, no items, beach only, final destination.

I just logged in and someone had shot me before my screen even loaded...Quite frustrating.

It happens buddy. After playing the game for a little over a week I've learned that it's hard to find anyone to trust, at least around the major cities which is where most of the pk's take part (not counting the airfields). Quite a few people are starting to learn the player spawns now and will wait around a area just for an easy kill.

I mostly find myself running in the woods with a few friends. So far we haven't really met anyone in the forest area, although we've spotted a cow and shot a few rabbits and nasty bandits. :P

I remember dying like this in some MMO and it really annoyed me. This should definitely be implemented.

In the mean time just try log out whilst prone inside a bush or something.

Stop logging in the middle of Chernogorsk.

There's plenty of space around that are "safe" enough to log off from and have next to 0 chances to log in front of someone.

A 5 second invulnerability (that goes away as soon as the player fires his gun) wouldn't be a huge issue.

The problem here is that your character spawns in a few seconds before you take control of them, people can spot you and kill you before you even are fully logged in. To counter-act this flaw with ArmA 2's spawn system, a 5 second invuln period for logins I think is fair.

Any more than that would be safe-zoning and that's no good for a game like this.

If its not implemented, then take our advice, try to log in safer, remote areas.

I believe this issue has to do with how rocket implemented spawning. That is you are put into a temporary body in the spawn area, and then moved into your body once the information is loaded on gear, location, etc.

I accidentally wandered into the spawning area yesterday just after spawning, and saw a bandit on the ground prone with no backpack. So I unloaded a clip into him.

Thought it was strange at first, then i turned and saw another guy just standing there staring at me. I freaked and shot him in the head. No gear.

Then I saw more pop up and disappear around me. That's when I figured out where I was. But if someone evil player actually knows where that exact spot is, I believe they can kill you before you finish spawning.

Not sure if this is how you died, or even if when you die at that point you die and are not ressurected when your normal information loads. But it is dangerous indeed.