=DiG= Zgraphz

NEW STEAM USERS! Please read.

For people who just bought the game through steam, Please read what i'am about to tell you. Steam and arma have a weird relationship, with that being said, You do not use steam to install and or launch dayz. The only time you would use steam, is to update the game from steams servers from time to time.

To correctly play arma/dayz you would need a Launcher called either Play Withsix(arma2) or Dayz Commander(Dayz). With those two piece of software, not only can you install newer/older versions of beta patches, you can also download and install the game's/map's. In order for your dayz commander and or Play Withsix, you need to have the correct boxes checked, such as: Direct3d, Close Dayz commander when joining a server. Then, in the startup launch parameter box you have to type "-nosplash" "-winxp" "-maxmem=2047" "-world=empty" "-cpucount=(# of cores you have). make sure no other boxes with steam are checked.

The times you would use steam is when files have either been deleted,corrupted missing cd-key, wrong key, any many other issues can be solved by opening steam, selecting arma 2, select properties, select local file tab, then select verify system game cache. Do that to all arma 2 games in your library, once completed, right click arma 2, select play. Go to the main menu, then exit. Do the same to all arma 2 related games in your library, once that is done, you open dayz commander or with six and update/downgrade your dayz/arma games as needed.

I've been using the dayz on steam for a while now and I haven't had a problem playing it that way.

Besides manually having to manually get the arma 2 beta patch from time to time.

It sure beats the manual install that many of us long time players had to deal with.

I think it's a fine way to play vanilla dayz.

ps: I have used playwithsix back when I wanted to try some of the mods.

I've been using the dayz on steam for a while now and I haven't had a problem playing it that way.

Besides manually having to manually get the arma 2 beta patch from time to time.

It sure beats the manual install that many of us long time players had to deal with.

I think it's a fine way to play vanilla dayz.

ps: I have used playwithsix back when I wanted to try some of the mods.

Im trying to comprehend what you just said, Vanilla dayZ with steam? um, what? i remember when steam wasn't even apart of dayz. how on earth could you call steam and dayz a vanilla setup? you want a vanilla setup?, try copying the arma 2 oa launch icon and turning that into the dayz launcher, that's vanilla. Steam has to many issues with dayz, most people prefur to use something that is fast, light weight and not having to log into steam just to play, all i do is click an icon on my desktop and im in the servers, then run the game through steam once a month to get updates, where do u manually do anything? u select charts and options and it does it all by itself. u can download all the maps in 45 mins and never have to change a single setting.

i believe that is much easier than steam.

Edited by =DiG= Zgraphz

Im trying to comprehend what you just said, Vanilla dayZ with steam? um, what? i remember when steam wasn't even apart of dayz. how on earth could you call steam and dayz a vanilla setup? you want a vanilla setup?, try copying the arma 2 oa launch icon and turning that into the dayz launcher, that's vanilla. Steam has to many issues with dayz, most people prefur to use something that is fast, light weight and not having to log into steam just to play, all i do is click an icon on my desktop and im in the servers, then run the game through steam once a month to get updates, where do u manually do anything? u select charts and options and it does it all by itself. u can download all the maps in 45 mins and never have to change a single setting.

i believe that is much easier than steam.

You can get it through steam now.

http://store.steampo...com/app/224580/

By vanilla I mean base dayz.

This was a topic for steam users so I thought you were trying to prevent players from using the in steam download and I was just saying it works pretty well. Especially for people who don't like having to many programs(such as me).

Edit: When I said manual I meant back in the day before dayz commander and six when you had to do everything by hand and put launch options on arma2 to get dayz to work.

Edited by Rarabka233

Im sorry if I sound like a noob but what exactly is a Startup launch parameter and how do I get to it to putt in those commands

i could tell u what they do but that would take forever. open dayz commander, under settings tab there is a text box that says startup launch parameters, copy and paste what i say even the " marks "

"-winxp" "-nosplash" "-Maxmem=2047" "world=empty" NOW THIS ONE IS IMPORTANT "cpucount=number of Physical cores you have. Example" for me i have a quad core so i put "-cpucount=4" then your good

Edit: When I said manual I meant back in the day before dayz commander and six when you had to do everything by hand and put launch options on arma2 to get dayz to work.

-mod=@DayZ

Those were the DayZ... :wub:

Downloading all of those .rars one by one was a pain in the arse though, lol.

• Like 1

-mod=@DayZ

Sure was, but when you got it all up and running you felt like a genius. ^_^

would any of the launch parameters in dayz commander conflict with the custom launch options I have for arma 2 in steam?

negative ghost rider, they do not conflict. Now if you had a ramdisk with a a -mod= setup, thhen used steam to launch then a i can see an issue comming up, not sure tho.

-mod=@DayZ

Man i remember the day'z where when the arma 2 launcher was tweekd with the -mod= and the good ol days of the Ghillie suit of death, 50/50% chance u either lived, or died

^ no if you uninstall you will not beable to play dayz.

Dayzcommander is good to install different version(s) (MODS) of Dayz, Good for finding servers to play on, and good for finding your mates.

I think the OP is a little misleading.

YOU CAN USE STEAM TO PLAY DAYZ AND ANY OTHER MOD THAT YOU WANT.
Just have to set the launch options up correctly. Great for the overlay option and to use for screenshots :P

"C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\arma2oa.exe" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@DayZ;" "-name=Fulgore" -nosplash -world=empty

Just add you mods that you want to play =)
Just use the filters for the ingame browser to find server that you like.

As for other stuff you DONT NEED ANY 3RD PARTY SOFTWARE TO PLAY ARMA OR ANY OF ITS MODS.

I use .bat files to run many of my mods, even all my ACE mods

They look like this =)

"C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead\Expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe" "-mod=Expansion\beta;Expansion\beta\Expansion;@CBA;@CBA_CO;@ACE;@ACRE;@JayArma2Lib;@st_interact;@st_bunnyhop;@st_acre_volume;@st_map_autobrightness;@st_lb_enhance;@sthud;@stmovement;@CAA1;@OAC_Core;@SNR;@ExA;@sahrani_grid;" "-name=Fully" -skipIntro -nosplash -world=empty -maxMem=2047 -noPause
Edited by Fully

Hello,

I apologize for resurrecting this tread but i'm having troubles connecting to a Dayz server i play on. DAYZ EUROPA

it's hosted @ vilayer so for now it runs on Arma 2 1.63.112555 with Dayz 1.8.1.

For a week, I've been launching dayz through steam, beta patch.

Today, steam updated something in Arma 2 and Battleye service doesn't launch when i launch ARMA 2: DayZ Mod [1.8.1] do i get kicked from the server.

When I launch Arma 2 OA through steam, i see a battleye window opening up and disapearing, I guess it must be BE service launching.

However, the Arma2 OA build launched that way is 1.63.125402, which doesn't work with the server I play on.

Please help, I'm asking this on this thread because I have read somewhere that you can select the build to use in arma 2 through the launch parameters, but I can't lay my hand on it.

The idea would be to launch Arma2 OA with the 1.63.112555 build so Batlleye starts then I could play DayZ.

I'm a bit desperate TBH ^^