kaffaljidhma

Shaun of the Dead style stealth

Make it so zombies won't sound aggro from walking, and as long as you're completely still in any position they won't notice you. If you perform any human movements while they've got eyes on, they bum rush you. If you cough, reload, munch, or make any other human sounds while near them, they'll rush you.

I got this idea from the fact that reloading makes you super extra visible as a human survivor.

I like the title and agree with you on this suggestion. I have watched many zombie movies and played many zombie games. Zombies in every movie/game are pretty brain dead and have a really bad case of the munchies for Manwhiches. In the game STALKER, there is a mission you are sent to ambush another squad with a guy; problem being it is in a field with zombies. So what do you do? Shamble by them calmy. Shawn of the Dead. Shamble to the pub!

Rocket has stated that, it is infected in DayZ and not zombies that you would find from movies like shaun of the dead. You should maybe? Treat them more like resident evil 5 enemies or 28 days later than any other movies/games.

Rocket has stated that' date=' it is infected in DayZ and not zombies that you would find from movies like shaun of the dead. You should maybe? Treat them more like resident evil 5 enemies or 28 days later than any other movies/games.

[/quote']

It doesn't change the fact that somehow the "zombies" have to tell friend from foe, or else they would be attacking each other.

The infection is how they tell, each zombie has the infection virus in their bodies and that gives off a signal that they are also infected and aren't worthy to be eaten.

Rocket has stated that' date=' it is infected in DayZ and not zombies that you would find from movies like shaun of the dead. You should maybe? Treat them more like resident evil 5 enemies or 28 days later than any other movies/games.

[/quote']

It is very hard to believe that the zombies have such heightened senses that they can identify survivors by sight and sound from their noisy and obvious brothers, but can't follow survivors around a single tree.

In the sense that the zombies are not zombies, but infected, would make you think they are more like "The Crazies." If this had been the sense, why don't they use guns?..

I am not a master on infected or zombie knowledge but I will try to answer these questions.

For kaffa post.

Like I said before, the infected are infact infected with something that made them this way. It wouldn't be strange for them to be able to sense in some manner who also has this infection in them. It would be like standing in a group of others with the exact same scent as you and then there being one person in the group that has a different scent.

For twitch.

Crazies are quite different from infected, they are considered to have full function of their mind and bodies, just that they have a different view or notice things different from sane people that causes them to act out.

Infected are infact beings that have had their bodies or minds physically changed by the infection, therefor being able to gain or loss certain qualities that they once had.

I am not a master on infected or zombie knowledge but I will try to answer these questions.

For kaffa post.

Like I said before' date=' the infected are infact infected with something that made them this way. It wouldn't be strange for them to be able to sense in some manner who also has this infection in them. It would be like standing in a group of others with the exact same scent as you and then there being one person in the group that has a different scent.

For twitch.

Crazies are quite different from infected, they are considered to have full function of their mind and bodies, just that they have a different view or notice things different from sane people that causes them to act out.

Infected are infact beings that have had their bodies or minds physically changed by the infection, therefor being able to gain or loss certain qualities that they once had.

[/quote']

If it was smell, they would be able to sense survivors right next to them regardless of whether they saw or heard them. If it was some sort of psychic link, then zombies should all get excited when one of them gets aggro.

Anyway, the purpose of the suggestion is to give players a new stealth mechanic since crawling is less viable than running around and going prone in a building or complex wall. If we're going to be doing LOS from now on, might as well make it interesting.

I am not saying that it has to be a smell but what I am saying, is that it would be very possible for each infected to have a special thing in their bodies that living survivors don't have. As for how the infected can sense that thing, it could be a sense that they gain from the infection which works in ways that we of the living can't understand.

I am not saying that it has to be a smell but what I am saying' date=' is that it would be very possible for each infected to have a special thing in their bodies that living survivors don't have. As for how the infected can sense that thing, it could be a sense that they gain from the infection which works in ways that we of the living can't understand.

[/quote']

That is lore, not a mechanic. Having zombies aggro you for unpredictable, unknowable reasons is not a good mechanic. Playing red light/green light with them is a fun mechanic and jives a lot better with the LOS focus than trapping zombies in houses and forests. You can have people spot for you and actually be pinned down by vigilant zombies instead of triggering the "welp, better run to the barn again so I can lose these guys" routine.

The infection is how they tell' date=' each zombie has the infection virus in their bodies and that gives off a signal that they are also infected and aren't worthy to be eaten.

[/quote']

I've been infected. They still swarmed me.

[/quote'] don't you mean 28 dayz later?

It is lore that is enough to go with the current mechanic in place.

What you want rocket to add to the game isn't something as simple, don't even try to start with trying to make fun of the current mechanics, since you most likely don't even understand how hard it is to try to code something like a bug free zombie AI, in a engine that wasn't even made for it in the first place.

It might not be a *good mechanic* but it is a mechanic that works enough to be acceptable in a alpha mod with a engine that wasn't built from the base up for zombie AI or style games.

Indeed, El Barto 227.

Edonovan, there is a difference between cold infection and the infection that the npc enemies have. It would be like trying to class cola with fanta to the npc enemy senses.

It is lore that is enough to go with the current mechanic in place.

What you want rocket to add to the game isn't something as simple' date=' don't even try to start with trying to make fun of the current mechanics, since you most likely don't even understand how hard it is to try to code something like a bug free zombie AI, in a engine that wasn't even made for it in the first place.

It might not be a *good mechanic* but it is a mechanic that works enough to be acceptable in a alpha mod with a engine that wasn't built from the base up for zombie AI or style games.

[hr']

Indeed, El Barto 227.

Edonovan, there is a difference between cold infection and the infection that the npc enemies have. It would be like trying to class cola with fanta to the npc enemy senses.

DayZ AI is being built from the ground up based on the engine. None of the preprogrammed ARMA 2 AI is useful in DayZ anyway: enemies don't take cover from incoming fire, don't march in formation, don't pincer flank known positions, don't drop to the ground when they hear a shot, and don't look around every once in a while at their flank (they used to).

Might as well not commit to a mechanic that lends itself to cheesy exploitative gameplay before it gets so embedded in the mod that you can't take it in another direction.