Sign in to follow this  
Disgraced

Too much starting gear

Im for starting with nothing, once the zombie reaction distances and ai stuff is worked out.

No pack, no. Nothing. Find it all.

If zombies were working better, would you?

I think that would be a good idea, or maybe you could get a random item say maybe food or bandage or a drink. Like you were washed up on the beach and happen to have one item with you.

I like the idea though

I really don't see what's wrong with the current starter gear, it's been nerd'f so much recently I think anymore and you'd see people pick up torches and pick forks :P. Either that or downgrade the coyote pack to that chest pack that has two less slots...honestly why is that even in the game?

Do people drop their coyote pack and forget about it or say hmmm 2 less slots? WIN! Other than cosmetics, I really see no point to its exsistance.

I think if Rocket could script it so we didn't need to place the flashlight/torch in the backpack but just un equip it as if it's an item- then we would see the backpack gone.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the back pack does vanish in a future update.....(looking into my crystal ball) lol

I don't mind either way personally, I reckon that the current gear is just enough to not have a survivor prepared when freshly spawned like it was with the gun and etc. I don't mind with starting with nothing but I just don't see any harm with staying with the current gear either unlike before when we started with a weapon and enough supplies to last a entire play session if avoiding zombies.

Now with the current gear, we need to find food/water and a weapon before we would feel safe with logging out.

I feel as though players should start out with basic gear. From watching the intro video, it looks like officials had been sent in for whatever. In this case, they would have at least a pack, flashlight, a sidearm, a watch, and maybe a toolkit or knife. I feel as though starting out with medical supplies is too much and lets people start off careless. In the survivor aspect, most people have a watch, hunting knife, matches/liter and pack on them.

Agree, if you notice everyone is already zombies. If you were strong enough to survive then you evidently had help (side arm, food, water, medicine). The old starting out kit was perfect. Now starting out with a flashlight but nothing else is pretty retarded and makes me not want to play the game. especial in this 1.7.1.4 patch where zombies see you miles away and come and rape you.

Gotta think logically, you survived the zombie apocalypse with nothing but a flashlight... wtf?

My buddy gets peeved about this because if he was in the middle of a zombie apocalypse he would have a 9mm, akm, and a remington.

I really do think we need the flashlight though.

Agree' date=' if you notice everyone is already zombies. If you were strong enough to survive then you evidently had help (side arm, food, water, medicine). The old starting out kit was perfect. Now starting out with a flashlight but nothing else is pretty retarded and makes me not want to play the game. especial in this 1.7.1.4 patch where zombies see you miles away and come and rape you.

Gotta think logically, you survived the zombie apocalypse with nothing but a flashlight... wtf?

[/quote']

You're thinking up random scenarios. Anything could happen if an outbreak started and anyone could end up in any situation. Instead of trying to determine the 100 what-if's or the "I would have prepared this way or that way" scenarios, they're just looking at it from a gameplay perspective and trying to balance it. none of these are concrete.

Imo I can find a weapon one way or another reasonably fast. Some ppl complain 30 minutes without a weapon is unbearable.. I don't see this as a problem. You start off with full hunger/thirst. More then enough time to head in land, check out deer stands, head to nearest town or barn etc. Even if you just head north randomly you'll eventually come on a road or power lines. From there just follow the yellow brick road and you'll find buildings in no time. Be patient with the zombies (I'm sure their visibility/hearing will be tweaked) and voila. I've found many handguns very quickly.. I barely even traveled that far north from the coast and I found a hangun, melee weapon and shotgun. I could still see the coast... I think people are playing impatient or are panicking.

Gotta think logically' date=' you survived the zombie apocalypse with nothing but a flashlight... wtf?

[/quote']

Maybe the flashlight is all you have remaining? You just came from who-knows-where, so we don't really know the circumstances of your arrival here, where you came from, or why you decided to make the trip.

You can rationalize any decision in starting gear, so using the "unrealistic" complaint is invalid.

Indeed, considering that the majority of the mass population are ignorant and totally unprepare for a infected outbreak. You and many players by fact of numbers would be of that ignorant, unprepared majority.