Intuable

Well,that sucks.

I had to reread the OP because the first read I thought you were being sarcastic asking for payment.

If you are getting enjoyment out of it you are not wasting your time. If you are not enjoying it go play something else.

Ignore whatever experiences you've had testing alpha software before and accept that bad things are going to happen to characters you have put a lot of effort into. I assure you many, many people have seen characters they put a hell of a lot more than just a couple of hours into get wiped out. Some due to bugs, some bandits, some hackers, etc. Accept this possibility and continue to help test the mod or come back at a later time when it is out of alpha.

The problem is the YouTube scene is attracting younger ones to the game - thus creating a more typical player base that has no clue what an Alpha phase is - it's unfortunate, but true.

You will lose characters, Rocket could choose to wipe every character in the next patch, or give everyone M249s at spawn - it's an alpha, where they test features, create new features, and change things.