mtuckner

Stealth / Zombie Dynamic - Constructive Criticism Thread

I really liked DayZ until the new zombie AI came out. I thought the stealth was a perfect balance for detection range, etc. during 1.7.0. I'm good at this game as well, and with the new whacky zombies I can still get into town and get out with loot, so failing isn't the problem. The problem is the balance of movement while around zombies. It is dominated by prone crawling more than anything. Crouch walk is even a massive risk, and forget about crouch jogging as before. It's just not all that fun to be honest.

Yes, there is more fear of the zombies now and more care must be taken - but that doesn't improve the game by making them difficult in this manner. I think the 1.7.0 stealth was fine, but find a different way to make the zombies feared instead of this new AI - which frankly, Arma AI is terrible and trying to make the zombies smart isn't working well.

If you want zombies to be a real obstacle to be feared, make it so they do more damage when you make a mistake during stealth. Make it so one zombie howls, and calls the others nearby or something.

As is, you have to just belly your way through which is just boring. Even still, you go to crouch to loot something and a zombie 20 yards away will aggro, or you will crawl through a door and your character stands up - again causing aggro. It's just a less engaging experience.

Just wanted to get my opinion out there.

I really liked DayZ until the new zombie AI came out. I thought the stealth was a perfect balance for detection range' date=' etc. during 1.7.0. I'm good at this game as well, and with the new whacky zombies I can still get into town and get out with loot, so failing isn't the problem. The problem is the balance of movement while around zombies. It is dominated by prone crawling more than anything. Crouch walk is even a massive risk, and forget about crouch jogging as before. It's just not all that fun to be honest.

Yes, there is more fear of the zombies now and more care must be taken - but that doesn't improve the game by making them difficult in this manner. I think the 1.7.0 stealth was fine, but find a different way to make the zombies feared instead of this new AI - which frankly, Arma AI is terrible and trying to make the zombies smart isn't working well.

If you want zombies to be a real obstacle to be feared, make it so they do more damage when you make a mistake during stealth. Make it so one zombie howls, and calls the others nearby or something.

As is, you have to just belly your way through which is just boring. Even still, you go to crouch to loot something and a zombie 20 yards away will aggro, or you will crawl through a door and your character stands up - again causing aggro. It's just a less engaging experience.

[/quote']

Very well put. I was crouch walking in a barn and a zombie aggroed from over 100 yards away. That is just ridonkulous. At night you can sneak around but with any light something is wrong.

I agree with the punish/reward system that is suggested here. That stealth should still be a more viable option than it is currently, Were as mistakes should be more costly and smart play (stealth, or killing selected zombies) rewarded. Not overly aggro Zeds or super hearing zombies to the point I don't want to shoot my gun. (zombies should hear gunshots and the player should be punished for doing so, but I feel some times just to far? Opinionated).

I overall liked the stealth in 1.7.1.1 and liked it a lot, 1.7.0 was a bit easier but I REALLY was enjoying the game then as well! The difficulty increase to the zombies are in the wrong area's, and overall should be reined back and other values should be adjusted to see how it balances out zombies. Players want to interact with the world, not get frustrated by it.

I agree. I crawled into a store, then thought "Hey, I'm safe behind these walls, I can move quicker now." and decided to crouch run. Then suddenly zombies. Walking through the closed doors no less. >.>

Then I got shot.

100 percent agree. I don't want to quit this game but its almost impossible for me to loot anymore. I feel like no matter what I will aggro a zombie unless prone which makes the game and for me at least, unfun & slow. I liked 1.7.0 alot more. I know some people find this hardcore degree fun. But for me it is just either crawl your way through everything or stand up and attract a zombie that is super far away. I know I need to "L2P". But I am just saying I don't enjoy these new patch.

...funny when others comment about the same thing just in a more specified way (they focus on a specific part of the AI like LOS or something there is nothing but negative replies) they get bashed but when it is general like this people are all for it...i don't get it

It's simply stupid. Played with my brother, it was his first time and he managed to do pretty well. Still, we died so many times, I lost count. Best bet of survival is if you aquired matches, hatchet, empty bottle and hunting knife pre 1.7.1.4 and hunt game and keep close to ponds...

Agree for the stealth problem... my tought was: I will never shot a zombie unless I have no choice! (Because its gonna attract more) Its gave me a lot of fun to try to pass by walkers and run in a city without firing once. Now its impossible to move around with the new supervision of zombies and well we don't have a gun either...

I agree it needs to be tweaked, but I'm quite enjoying the changes right now. Instead of being sneaky, I just haul ass with 50 zombies behind me, run inside a building and prone as soon as I LoS them. Loses them every time.

I found it tense and enjoyable before to sneak around a town. Not once did I ever say to myself that zombies should be more aware. Though I haven't played with the new system, I'd still like to see them become more of a threat in other ways.

I really liked DayZ until the new zombie AI came out. I thought the stealth was a perfect balance for detection range' date=' etc. during 1.7.0. I'm good at this game as well, and with the new whacky zombies I can still get into town and get out with loot, so failing isn't the problem. The problem is the balance of movement while around zombies. It is dominated by prone crawling more than anything. Crouch walk is even a massive risk, and forget about crouch jogging as before. It's just not all that fun to be honest.

[/quote']

I agree to a point, but I'm pretty sure they're still in the "tweaking" stage for visibility and sound. I wouldn't assume that what is now is what they're aiming for end game. I like most of the way it is now, but some in building and certain environmental variables need to be modified. I expect that's already a priority of sorts, but even if it isn't it'll all be worked out.

Well, I doubt the end playstyle result was intended. The current zombie state, although somewhat buggy, is probably intended - but the resulting gameplay was not forseen. I hope Rocket realizes the change in focus and dynamic in the game and does something to address this.

This is an Alpha, and features are being figured out as we go here, so it's understandable when certain builds / ideas don't implement as was initially thought.

It's simply not fun now.

You are slowly walking around and aggroing zeds from out of nowhere.

Guys' date=' do any of you have a problem where you become super extra visible when you're reloading?

[/quote']

Yeah, I made a post in the bug section about that.

It's simply not fun now.

You are slowly walking around and aggroing zeds from out of nowhere.

yeah, I miss being actually able to crouch-walk places

Situations where you should have to prone to avoid detection should be few and far between. Many of the best pure stealth games don't even have a prone option. DayZ really should not be a pure stealth game anyways. If you've scavenged enough ammo and good weapons, you should really be able clear a town of zombies that way if you so choose. Zombies continuously spawning around players is preventing this and needs to be addressed further.

Prone being too powerful wasn't really that big of an issue. If someone wants to go that slowly then let them have the loot I say. Perhaps an alternative penalty is in order, but the option to prone to effectively avoid detection in a sticky situation shouldn't be removed.

...Yeah stealth is a bit messed at the moment...at first I thought it was manageable, but it really, really isn't

stop crouching and start training zombies to places where you can easily lose them. Presto, the town is cleared, and bonus if you can get them into a building, cause they'll never leave.

I agree to a certain extent, i think the zombie vision is almost 100% right its the hearing i think is a bit out. When i crouch and move quickly i dont make much sound especially when im trying to be quiet i make almost no sound, its the same to an extent when im creeping normally standing up. is there anyway to add a sneak animation and character speed set to have like a inbetween crouch jogging and walking? i want to be able to go into a town sneak around and if i come to a road i need to cross be able to scope it out and if there is a zombie near by crouch sneak across the road while his back is turned. Maybe making a little noise just enough for the zombie maybe to turn around and inveestigate the area. It makes it really frustrating to know what i could do in this situation try it in this and get chased by 15 or so zombies when one see's me so i have to run of like a mad man therfore atracting the rest of the zombies cruising around the city. metal gear solid is sorta a good bench mark for this kind of sneaking around.

Training zombies is beside the point. That is obviously not how the game is intended to be played.

And it wasn't the optimal method of dealing with zombies until now.