Tassadarh

Used bullets on the ground

I don't really know if there's a thread like this but after a quick check it doesn't seem so...

This is a little idea I got today:

Whenever someone shoot a weapon it leaves on the ground some cartridges (shiny golden pieces of metal). The more he/she shoots, the more cartridges on the ground. So when you come into the area you know there's been a shooting.

I don't think that's a really urgent feature but... dunno, it might come handy don't you think?

And now, for the practical part:

- Every time you shoot with a ranged weapon you leave shiny and pretty noticeable cartridges on the ground (you can post them very easily, they have a little brighter skin then the cartridges from your weapon... or else they might be almost impossible to spot)

- They aren't the exact number of the rounds you fired, they are just to "show" that there's been a shooting over here in the recent time.

- There are 3 levels of texture for these cartridges.

1) This appear when you have shot at least 5 rounds with any kind of firearm. The texture appears just like 3 or 4 pistol cartridges on the ground. If you keep shooting almost in the same location you go to step 2 and so on. OK if you shot with a shotgun different kind of cartridges should be in the ground but... this is for the sake of not making it to complex for coding.

2) This appears if you shot at least 6 rounds with any kind of fire arm. Now it looks serious, there's at least 5 cartridges of a pistol on the ground and 2 shells from a shot gun.

3) This appears if you shot at least 10 rounds with any kind of fire arm. 8 cartridges, 4 shotgun shells, 2 pistol magazine and an AK magazine.

- The cartridges disappears after a fixed amount of time.

- Thanks them we'll be able to track down other players and know if "someone has been here". Making the ammo saving technique more valuable than ever.

What do you think? You think this could be useful or it's just "too much right now"?

PS: thanks bullfrog, I fix'd it

cartridges* not exploded rounds lol I recommend you change the terminology so people will take you more serious ;)

my 1st thought was that it could cause lag.

But!!! if they down size the amount tin cans, and cause this to be a loot-able item (that you can throw and distract zombies)

and despawn after X amount of time passes.

it could be a pretty neat feature.

could also use them to track players and what not witch is always a +

originally it was going to be a 2 star, but i'll give it 4 stars!

the more i think about it the more I like it

Meh, it's 2:30 in my timezone, give me a break :P

Anyway, I'm changing it, thanks ;)

I am using a version of this when I play vanilla Arma2 / OA. So very doable, hopefully.

issues with both blood trail and used shells... it takes memory to store all that stuff. It may slow down the game. Given the other options, I prefer something else. But good idea. :)

They'd have to disappear pretty quickly (~5 minutes), if this were to work

Otherwise the servers would have one heck of a time keeping track of all those shells, and uploading their location/type data to players who come into proximity. (That's the number one reason why this and the blood trail suggestions may not work too well - it'd take up all the server's upload bandwidth sending the location/type data to players who come nearby)

Good suggestions though!

@ Bricked,

Actually mate, I dont think it would. I play with a community that has a 30 slot server that is filled when it goes public on certain nights. Never had a problem with the version that I use and neither has anyone else who uses it.

It does look damn cool firing a SAW and the casings appear on the ground!