Sign in to follow this  
Token63

Minimal Survival Kits

Your minimal survival kits for newly spawned players would make a lot more sense if it was ever possible to out-run the zombies. But basically the zombies can run faster than you can and will always catch up to you. And as a bare minimum I really think that a canteen full of water should be included.

I think the intent is that you are motivated to go to a town and learn how to sneak around zombies, learn to throw cans/bottles as this will help you through the rest of the game.

Learn to avoid zombies.

Personally, I think it makes perfect sense for them to be able to catch upto you eventually if you just run in a straight line and don't do anything to try and evade them (or don't do enough to avoid them to begin with)

I think the intent is that you are motivated to go to a town and learn how to sneak around zombies' date=' learn to throw cans/bottles as this will help you through the rest of the game.

[/quote']

Haha, if only you could sneak past these "zombies", even if you prone they see you easily from like 10 feet away, crouching is like 20 feet and breaking their LOS does not always work.

I think the intent is that you are motivated to go to a town and learn how to sneak around zombies' date=' learn to throw cans/bottles as this will help you through the rest of the game.

[/quote']

Haha, if only you could sneak past these "zombies", even if you prone they see you easily from like 10 feet away, crouching is like 20 feet and breaking their LOS does not always work.

LOS+building=easy

But how it is right now (player nerfed zombies buffed) i consider it a fair kind of broken.

Actually, they can. I just ran from a set i aggroed for pretty far off (found them while running through the middle of the woods?) but didnt worry because i had a good lead. Within 20 seconds they had caught me and was actually hitting me as we ran. Spun around and took care of them, and figure that maybe i was crouch running, so i found another set to experiment with. After ensuring "c" had been pressed i ran and drew them. Not only did they catch up to me, but the second hit knocked me unconscious.

Am I the only person really enjoying the new 'survival kits'?

Got killed last night by two other players, so respawned and started out fresh.

The first attempt, pretty sure I got shot as soon as I spawned on the coast. I was AFK momentarily and came back to "You are dead" :p.

Second attempt, I managed to make it to some barns and farmhouses. Got lucky and found another dead player in the hills and picked up his gun (sadly no ammo). Snuck into a barn and pulled a zombie (and his numerous friends, somehow) and once again it was game over.

Third attempt, I had much better success. Managed to sneak my way through various farmhouses and stuff on my way to Elektro. Didn't pick up much of any use on the way, and as I was running into the city, someone drove through and pulled the nearby zombies away (I heard the vehicle and, luckily, hid in time). Next thing I know I've run around the corner and am coming under fire from another player. I'm frantically telling him, "I'm friendly! Unarmed!" and he stopped firing and let me run in and take cover in the building he was in. At this point my husband came running in from the other side, I'd pulled a couple of zombies, and yet another player was shooting at us. Husband and the random guy took out the other player (I was still unarmed at this point).

Random player let us know there were two weapons he'd left in the building, we thanked him, and he went on his way. Totally saved my butt.

Anyway, the server then started crashing a fair bit, but managed to pick up a handful of bandages, painkillers, some food and drinks, a watch and a compass. Hopefully I'll log in and will have kept it all, but if not I don't care. There's so much fun and adventure - and a nice dose of challenge - to be had spawning with next to nothing.

You're racing against the clock (hunger/thirst), got to be smart and hide/stealth your way through zombies, avoid other players, and just hope you're lucky enough to hit the jackpot with some good supplies to get you started.

This whole adventure took us a few hours, and we only managed to meet up right at the end, just before the server crashing got the better of us and we decided to call it a night.

I'd say that it was the most fun I've had since the first time I played DayZ, am I alone in thinking the more difficult it gets, the more fun it is?

Hiding in a barn, listening to zombies grunting outside, hoping you're hidden - hoping you judge when you're safe to make a run for it.. Hearing gunfire from players in the distance and just thinking, "Oh damn, wonder if I can get out of here without them spotting me/wonder if they'll accept I'm friendly and let me go?"

Looking forward to doing it all again tonight, and kind of even a little bit hoping I do get owned again, so I can have all the fun of last night once again. :)

[/quote']

With no food/water you simply don't have time to sneak.

The new starting gear is made for people that just want to run straight through towns until they find shit, then walk through 6 buildings to lose all the zombies, leave town as fast as possible, and shoot any stragglers.

With no food/water you simply don't have time to sneak.

Yes, you do.

Here how this should work in my opinion and it if done this way it would be fair and give the game sense of realism.

1.) Slow the zombies down. They shouldn't be able to out run use. Once you get away they should not be able to continue to follow you. That's kind of silly to have a Zombie chase you after you are out of sight.

2.) There should be way, way more Zombies in bigger city. I mean to point were you're going to have to fight you're way in and fight you're way out. Being in City should be like walking in to a death trap. The further out you get the less Zombies there should be.

3.) Sprint should be tied to a stamina bar. Once Stamina runs out you go from a run to a walk till you're fully rested. Also food and water should not be completely tied in to running. The body can go 8-14 days with out water and 4 weeks with out food. So if were shooting for realism here then it should be more of a factor of time with a bit of Stamina mixed in to the picture till you need food and water.

4.) Make the supplies spawn point's make sense. It makes sense that you would find food, water, matches, even a knife at stores. While hospitals, Military Base should hold ammo and weapons, as well as bandages, pain killers, Morphine, as well as blood packs.

5.) Now I'm not expert on zombie apocalypse (no one is) but if you have access to bandages, painkillers and what not you should be able to get you're hands on a knife and a lighter.

That is just a few ideas as to how Dayz should work.

1.) Slow the zombies down. They shouldn't be able to out run use. Once you get away they should not be able to continue to follow you. That's kind of silly to have a Zombie chase you after you are out of sight.

4.) Make the supplies spawn point's make sense. It makes sense that you would find food' date=' water, matches, even a knife at stores. While hospitals, Military Base should hold ammo and weapons, as well as bandages, pain killers, Morphine, as well as blood packs.

5.) Now I'm not expert on zombie apocalypse (no one is) but if you have access to bandages, painkillers and what not you should be able to get you're hands on a knife and a lighter.

[/quote']

1) The zombies' speed, once aggro'd, is a way of making them an actual challenge. If you could run past, aggro them, and then turn around and pick them off as they slowly stumbled their way towards you - what's the point? Even a bad shot (like me!) could easily take care of them and keep going about my business.

Also, define "getting away". Running out of line of sight? Running out of scent/noise range? Are you arguing that darting behind a tree should make them forget about you? What about their other senses/instincts? You have to remember, these zombies are presumably HUNGRY and you look/smell amazing to them.

4) I can see your point here, but I think the random items also add to the sense of chaotic, "end of the world" feeling. Places have been ransacked, people have passed through the areas, died, dropped their gear. Others have come through and been unable to carry everything, so they've had to pick and choose. If we're talking realism, it's unrealistic to expect items in a suddenly uncivilized world to be orderly or in their places. People will have dropped things while panicking; or stashed them to come back and get later, and so on. The random itemisation makes sense, if you think about it this way.

5) Why? This kind of ties in to number 4. Maybe what you spawn with is the remains of a once quite useful military pack, and you're at the end of your rations. Either way, arguing "Well I have X so I should definitely have Y!" would just lead to an over inflated list of people numbering all the things they feel they SHOULD have.