Sign in to follow this  
clay_pigeon

Any knowledge on SA requirements?

Hey, I just tried getting back to DayZ in the last couple of days, but the only thing it gave me is the memory of why I quit in the first place: TERRIBLE performance.

I have a pretty average PC but it seems like DayZ just laughs at it as it suffers.

So my question is: will the SA be like the Arma engine, which will rape PC's for amusement, or will it run on a more effective engine?

You should find that there's better performance due to optimisation (the mod is using a very old engine) and the fact that many of the things that hit your performance will now be handled server-side. You can read all about it in the devblogs.

Of course, it's in heavy development ATM so it's too early to say what specific requirements will be.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

Apparently if you can run Arma 2 DayZ then you will be able to run DayZ standalone and the performance will be considerably better.

My advice is to consider installing XP if you're not on it already. I triple boot XP, Ubuntu and W7. Running DayZ in XP rather than 7 improves my framerate by about 50%.

I'm not sure exactly what engine they're using for standalone but I suspect it's still pretty similar to the Arma 2 engine which was designed for XP.

You find that there's better performance due to optimisation (the mod is usung a very old engine) and the fact that many of the things that hit your performance will now be handled server-side. You can read all about it in the devblogs.

Yeah but that's kind of the main reason I've started this thread: there's so many info about the SA, I just don't know where to look. There's been tons of devblogs already and I can't go through them all now.

Anyway, the first sentence in your post makes me very happy, can't wait for the SA now :) I'm digging DayZ so much, only thing about it that upsets me is the performance.

Anyway thanks, will be happy for more information though.

@-HB-10BAG:

That also makes me pretty happy to hear. But I'll let you know: I'm running DayZ on the LOWEST settings on around 20-25 FPS in cities. So a 50% boost with all that trouble with the booting will only bring it up to 30-37 which is not worth the trouble IMO, because it's still unplayable to me. Thanks anyway for the comment :)

Sad to hear it will run on a similiar engine though :( I believe the reason that DayZ doesn't have more players than currently is the performance issue alone.

Edited by clay_pigeon

Apparently if you can run Arma 2 DayZ then you will be able to run DayZ standalone and the performance will be considerably better.

My advice is to consider installing XP if you're not on it already. I triple boot XP, Ubuntu and W7. Running DayZ in XP rather than 7 improves my framerate by about 50%.

I'm not sure exactly what engine they're using for standalone but I suspect it's still pretty similar to the Arma 2 engine which was designed for XP.

they are going to use arma 2, arma 3 and custom code in their engine arma 2 was originally designed for vista and xp though so hopefully dayz sa will get win 7 support.

Sad to hear it will run on a similiar engine though :( I believe the reason that DayZ doesn't have more players than currently is the performance issue alone.

No offence to the dude that you're replying to but it's best to get your info first hand. He's just guessing that it is similar to the Arma 2 engine which is wrong in many respects. As I said before, Arma2 is using an out-dated engine, even when it was released it was badly optimised. I've recently been playing Arma 3 and can run it at far higher settings with smooth frame-rates. DayZ will have an engine customised for DayZ as it has very different requirements to Arma. They used the TOH engine as a base but will also be using assets from Arma 3 etc.

No offence to the dude that you're replying to but it's best to get your info first hand. He's just guessing that it is similar to the Arma 2 engine which is wrong in many respects. As I said before, Arma2 is using an out-dated engine, even when it was released it was badly optimised. I've recently been playing Arma 3 and can run it at far higher settings with smooth frame-rates. DayZ will have an engine customised for DayZ as it has very different requirements to Arma. They used the TOH engine as a base but will also be using assets from Arma 3 etc.

That is all I wanted to hear. Thank you :)

cant wait for the sweet standalone performance :DD

Edited by elf cakes

I'm sure it will be around ARMA3's Optimal requirements.Both ARMA3 and the DayZ SA have grown from the same engines. however, if you're going to build a computer for dayz, biuld it above-spec because there are downfalls to server sided graphics settings

cant wait for the sweet standalone performance :DD

Even in my wildest dreams I haven't managed to imagine DayZ running smoothly on 60 fps, so I'm kinda impatient myself :P

• Like 1

I've recently been playing Arma 3 and can run it at far higher settings with smooth frame-rates.

Care to elaborate on this statement. I run Arma 2 / DayZ at much higher frames than Arma 3. I realise that the video options in Arma 3 differ a fair bit from the Arma 2 engine, but I can't understand why you're giving the impression to us that DayZ/SA will perform significantly better than it does at the moment. The whole graphics engine is pretty damned old isn't it?

Care to elaborate on this statement. I run Arma 2 / DayZ at much higher frames than Arma 3. I realise that the video options in Arma 3 differ a fair bit from the Arma 2 engine, but I can't understand why you're giving the impression to us that DayZ/SA will perform significantly better than it does at the moment. The whole graphics engine is pretty damned old isn't it?

What's to elaborate? For me Arma 3 runs much better, I've also seen many others reporting this too. I'm also part of the testing group for the SA and that's running pretty sweet for me aswell. I can only say what I see. I'm not sure how you can say the engine is old, it's evolved over time much like the engines many other companies use for their games so you end up with many different versions being used for different things. Much of the work being done for DayZ is on the engine itself (something you can't do with a mod) so it's a hybrid of various things and much of the coding is new to cater the the specific needs of DayZ. As an example they've talked about using the flight models from TOH (a flight sim game by BIS) and other things that worked well in Arma 3. They're also in the process of adding things that are specific to DayZ, new player skeletons for example (newer than the ones used in Arma 3) for improved animations.

All I've stated is that for the SA the you should have better performance, taking into account the improved graphics of the SA over the mod, that's one of their goals but it's early days and there's much work to be done. (Again) If you read the devblogs there's lot's of info on all of this. There's no guarantees of course at this early stage.

Edited by Fraggle
  • Like 1

I'm trying to get my hands on an alpha lite copy to see if Arma 3 will work on my PC, and if it's worth buying.

Not to be a begger, but if anyone has a free lite copy that he doesn't need and wants to help me out, I'd be really really thankful.

I'm trying to get my hands on an alpha lite copy to see if Arma 3 will work on my PC, and if it's worth buying.

Not to be a begger, but if anyone has a free lite copy that he doesn't need and wants to help me out, I'd be really really thankful.

Sorry, I would have given you one but I just donated my last to a competition :( . Bare in mind though that if you have a low spec machine none of the Arma games (or the SA) will run particularly well because they're all pretty demanding.

Edited by Fraggle

Sorry, I would have given you one but I just donated my last to a competition :( .

No worries, still appreciate the meaning :)

I've mentioned it out on couple of places to see if someone's kind enough to give one away, I just don't wanna gamble 32$ away to a game that wouldn't work well :P

Good luck, I'll ask a few peeps too just in case there's any more knocking around. Like I say though remember that although (for me) it's way better optimised it's still a graphically intensive game.

Edited by Fraggle

No worries, still appreciate the meaning :)

I've mentioned it out on couple of places to see if someone's kind enough to give one away, I just don't wanna gamble 32$ away to a game that wouldn't work well :P

Could you give me your steam name? I think I still have one for you

• Like 2

If anybody wants an Arma 3 light key I have 3 to happily give away. Steam name is SaL. I love it.. looking forward to the beta.

• Like 2

Could you give me your steam name? I think I still have one for you

http://steamcommunit...d/WTFClayPigeon

Wonderful! I'd be really thankful if you or SAL send it over :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Good luck, I'll ask a few peeps too just in case there's any more knocking around. Like I say though remember that although (for me) it's way better optimised it's still a graphically intensive game.

You guys are the best! No words can describe my thankfulness :)

Edited by clay_pigeon

Sent PM Clay

Hey, this guy right here sent me one. Thanks a bunch! :)

No need for other copies guys, thanks for the replies though

• Like 1