puk

My First Day

Hey,

Have been seeing DayZ vids on YouTube for a while now and although the SA is coming out in a few months if its not delayed, I finally couldn't wait any longer to give it a try so I picked up Arma2:CO from Steam last night and got DayZ running. Only cost the same as 2 cinema tickets here so if I get more than 4hrs playtime its paid itself for me :)

Anyway, my first spawn said "Wilderness". Couldn't see anything left or right but there was a huge hill in front so I ran to the top and in every direction all I could see was trees and hills. Bummer. Went back to the coast and walked for 20mins before jumping of a bridge till I died.

Second spawn was Otmel island. Spawned next to 3 zombies so was dead in about 2 mins.

Third spawn was better. Was just outside the city near Belota. Ran in and the first item I found was a Gillie Suit :) The found a bunch of chemlights and a hatchet. Needed blood so headed out to the woods to get some wood and hopefully some food when I spot a player running of to my right. I go prone and ask if he is friendly, he says he is. Ask if wants to trade as I need matches and he says he has some and offers me them and a gun for my gillie and chemlights. I dont need the gillie so say yeah and he basically then holds me up :) Tells me to drop everything and disconnect and come back, so with no choice and just interested in what happens I did this and came back and allI had left on the floor was my hatchet. LOL, no gun or matches. Ah well. Ran around a bit more and didn;t find anything and then took shelter in a barn and quit for the night.

Enjoying it so far. Glad I got it and didn't wait.

Need to find a server with more players though.

Andy

• Like 2

That must have been fun.

Nice, at least he didn't kill you, and he left you the best weapon in the game. Should've put on the gillie and kept it on until you got what you needed (gillie suits can't be looted off a corpse if the person is wearing it).

Typically night time servers don't have many players on them, except for those that have NVG's, so you'll want to look for daytime for a number of reasons. If you use Dayz commander you can see how many players are currently in the server and about what time it is, based on the posted timezone.

Also, if you're ever in dire need of medical assistance, just go to the teamspeak server ts.dayzmedics.com and find a TMW medic to help you. We won't hold you up for your stuff and don't even accept payment for our services.

#shamelessadvertising

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon
  • Like 1

Sounds like you've been having some fun first experiences already. Great. I haven't been held up (yet) and look forward to it. You were right to jump right in and buy the Arma2 and get playing, who knows when the standalone will be released (and quite frankly, all of the fun you're having right now is well worth the $30 outlay on Arma2.

Have fun

• Like 1

Welcome to DayZ your adventure starts now and goes forever, You are having the experience we all once had that first day on the game even the first week is amazing. You will become experienced and learn how to escape bandits and zombies, finding guns will be no problem so enjoy the difficulty you may have now. And I like how you compare the price of Arma to two movie tickets, everyone always says the mod is too expensive but you're buying Arma and that alone has a ton of content, hours worth of enjoyment. I recommend to you trying Waste Land some time because that also provides entertainment and will be good shooting/tactical practice for DayZ.

• Like 1

Hey, Puk

Welcome to the beginning of an obsession that will only end when you want it to ... well maybe not even then. Next time you find yourself spawned out in the boonies, don't give up. DayZ is all about survival - more poignantly put - it is a grand challenge and a dare that commands you to survive as long as you can. As you've learned, player interaction can be very unpredictable but never let that stop you from engaging someone in game. Other players - their quirks and deviances, their odd DayZ rituals, their false bravados, cyber cruelty and the measures they will sometimes endeavor to aid another all add something memorable to this game.

You're just out to sea in an ocean that is unfathomable as it is addictive. Welcome to the show. Stock up your beans, load your magazines and sharpen your wit and cyber endurance; you're gonna need all of that and then some.

Edited by Saethkept
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. Over the weekend Steam says I played DayZ for 6.5hrs so me for thats recouped the cost already! Am loving it so far though I have say, and found a couple of servers run locally by one of our biggest ISPs in New Zealand which have low pings and around 12 players on so going for me.

Died a lot of times yesterday, mainly at the start before being able to find a weapon. Couple of times I found a weapon like a G17 or Lee Enfield, only to pick it up and lose my hatchet, then have no ammo so back to square one. LOL. Came across 2 guys waiting at a train station and from the side chat they were waiting for a ural(?) pickup. Asked if I could grab a lift and they said no but there guy in the truck had spare gun so I could wait for that. I sat down like they did then I died! Got a chat message saying LOL the guy in the Ural(?) didn't see me and ran me over HAHA!

Last playthru is going better, spawned at Electro and now have some decent kit and a gun and am saved on the roof of the hospital ready to hit the supermarket tomorrow.

Your right about the tutorials though, need to give them a try as I can't shoot for crap at the moment. Am much better with the hatchet :)

Sounds like good fun.

You may not like the guy that held you up, but players like him are a rre treat these days. Now it's mostly shoot on sight

Ah no its all good fun. I was so chuffed to spot my first player that I was happy to go along and see how it played out.

Wish I found this game sooner actually. Have always liked Open World but with most of them you are still limited to missions/fake boundries etc. DayZ seems exactly what I have been looking for.

Hey Puk I'm a NZ player too, are you on the orcon or snap server? I'd be happy to meet up and help you out a bit if you want.

Well that was a bust! Spawned in to where I left myself, prone on the roof of the hostpital in Elktro and got instant killed! Side chat someone was like WTF(!) as looks like I spawned right in front of someone LOL! Gutted a little bit as reswanned then in a total flat land, and asked in sidechat and told it was a glitch so I respawned in Kamenka again. Made my back to Elektro and go back on the hospital and found my body and all my kit! YEY! Then found my first Lee Enfield and was in the supermarket when I get aggroed and had to make a runner. As I was legging it the side chat was like "the snipper is on the hill, take him out" and I'm like "whow hold on!' I went prone in a bush and then just to my right a bandit appears and someone snipes him!! So i backed out slowly and then did a runner over some hills before signin out. Love this game but think I have to get myself a headset now.

Hey Puk I'm a NZ player too, are you on the orcon or snap server? I'd be happy to meet up and help you out a bit if you want.

That'll be awesome man! I don't get much time to play at the mo as have a little girl so have only been getting on an hour at about 730pm to 830/9pm but can meet then. Yeah I go on the Orcon ones at the moment, my character name is just andy atm and I'm in the hills outside Elektro atm.

Yeah, especially in the hot spots like Cherno/Elektro, you have to be very wary of snipers. It does wonders before you enter an area to consider where snipers are likely to be and avoid locations that are in there line of sight. In Elektro, Dobryy hill is very popular for snipers, as they have vision of the hospital roof, office roof as well as windows and back and side door, all entrances to the supermarket, and the roofs, towers, and back doors of both firehouses, as well as plenty of road coverage and easy view of the field to the North. You've got to be moving fast and avoid aggro to survive them, and you definitely don't want to log out in a hotspot where a sniper can get you. Exfil out and find a nice tree to log out in.

And yeah, a headset is important to safely communicate with people. If you have to type, you can't move making you an easy target. Just don't use your mic over side chat, most servers don't like that and some will ban you for it.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon
  • Like 1

That'll be awesome man! I don't get much time to play at the mo as have a little girl so have only been getting on an hour at about 730pm to 830/9pm but can meet then. Yeah I go on the Orcon ones at the moment, my character name is just andy atm and I'm in the hills outside Elektro atm.

Sweet, got 2 little girls myself so I know how it is!!! You should definitely try the snap.co.nz server, the Orcon ones are public hive and I've had a lot of hacker issues there as well as idiots on global chat all the time. If you get on the Snap one I can hopefully pick you up, trying to get a vehicle today;-) I play around same time as you (6-8pm). Do you have Skype?

And yeah, a headset is important to safely communicate with people. If you have to type, you can't move making you an easy target. Just don't use your mic over side chat, most servers don't like that and some will ban you for it.

Yeah I'm finding that out actually. Was trying to loot a body I found when I guy showed up and by the time I had backed away and started typed "frien..." he'd too me down LOL. Saw a good deal on a Turtle Beach PX21 round here which I might pickup as can use on my 360 as well then, plus I'm running it from bootcamp on a MacBook Pro so have limited USB slots :(

Sweet, got 2 little girls myself so I know how it is!!! You should definitely try the snap.co.nz server, the Orcon ones are public hive and I've had a lot of hacker issues there as well as idiots on global chat all the time. If you get on the Snap one I can hopefully pick you up, trying to get a vehicle today;-) I play around same time as you (6-8pm). Do you have Skype?

Cool man, I will have a look for the snap.co.nz server tonight. I take it they are private, so if I move to them from the Orcon ones will I lose my character from the Orcon ones? If so I might just wait till I die on the current one (shouldn't take long LOL) and then jump over to that.

Cool man, I will have a look for the snap.co.nz server tonight. I take it they are private, so if I move to them from the Orcon ones will I lose my character from the Orcon ones? If so I might just wait till I die on the current one (shouldn't take long LOL) and then jump over to that.

Yes you will lose your gear but the Snap server is the best in NZ at the moment. Been playing there a few months and no hacker issues. Usually full with 45 players at night so fun times. I'm up north now, if you can make it to Bereznino or Polana I can meet you there and help you gear up. Just grab a hatchet and as much food and drink as you can get then leg it north:-)

Cool man. Whats your in game name? Mine is just andy at the moment. Oh and skype, yeah I have it but dont use it much, username is andyr8939, but I don't have a headset yet so will probably just have to stick with in game text chat for a bit. Haven't really been into PC gaming in the past but this is starting to get me into it :)

Cool, I'm just outside Elektro cowering behind a tree. Once this guy dies I'll jump on the snap servers and had north.

I'm Geneva in game. Headset is the best way to go for sure, my Skype is fraser0075. When you jump on the Snap server pm me through this forum or Skype and we'll hopefully survive a few days!

Hey, you survived a meeting with a bandit? That's awesome!

You should try doing the same thing to someone else~

- MONSTER

Oh I'm having so much fun with this game :D

Started last night outside Electro and decided to head up towards Rog and then Msta just to see what it was like away from the main towns. Didn't find any loot on the way and when i went into Msta I got agroed big time and ended up losing almost all my blood. The screen was full on white and I was passing out every 5 mins. Headed across to Staroye to try and find food/animals for blood but it was tough as I couldn't see where I was going really. Took me 40mins to get there and I went through most of the buildings with zero loot, when in the last one I crawled in and spot a player looting. I backed out and text chatted friendly but then go agroed again! I was running round in circles when i spot the player and begged him to help me, I had blood but needed the transfusion. I ran inside and dropped the blood in the corner and he came in and started helping me. He was giving me the transfusion while I was dropping Z's with my lee Enfield (good shooting practice). Dropped about 15 of them before my blood was done and we both legged it up the hill out of town! Was so chuffed! :)

The guy had a mic, I didn't (am getting one today) so we swapped supplies then headed toward Electro to find is mate. I had to logout in the end just outside Prigorodsky but had such a blast!

Geneva - Once my character dies I'll jump on the Snap server and meet up.

No worries Puk, sounds like your having a blast already! Tried to get a vehicle going yesterday, spent almost an hour looking for one damn wheel. Found one, fixed the car and drove to a hiding place then last minute crashed the damn thing and broke it again.

Well I died. Went out in a blaze of glory in a barn after I fell and broke my leg. Ran out of clips but had a mound of Zs to show for it :)

I tried finding the Snap server but it doesn't show up in my server listing. Do I need the IP & port to be able to connect? Where abouts are you on the map and I'll head that sort of way if I can get on tomorrow night. Oh and changed my in game name to Puk now too.

Edited by Puk

You are quite the player. In all my days of playing, I have never been held up. Lucky bitch. Lol

Well I died. Went out in a blaze of glory in a barn after I fell and broke my leg. Ran out of clips but had a mound of Zs to show for it :)

I tried finding the Snap server but it doesn't show up in my server listing. Do I need the IP & port to be able to connect? Where abouts are you on the map and I'll head that sort of way if I can get on tomorrow night. Oh and changed my in game name to Puk now too.

The Snap servers I.P. is 203.37.100.186:2302 Are you using DayZ Commander? There's a search function there that should find it. Sent you a PM with where I am, don't want and sly Bandits ambushing me haha.

You are quite the player. In all my days of playing, I have never been held up. Lucky bitch. Lol

I'll come and hold you up if you want. Was having fun with the crossbow last night, we'll use that :)

The Snap servers I.P. is 203.37.100.186:2302 Are you using DayZ Commander? There's a search function there that should find it. Sent you a PM with where I am, don't want and sly Bandits ambushing me haha.

Cool thanks. No I'm just straight through Steam and searching that way. I tried filtering by Snap! but it couldn't find it, but then again when I filter for Orcon it couldn't even find the server I was just playing on LOL. Will try and get on tonight if I can.