Sign in to follow this  
dublea

Cascade of failures

Since last week, I'm guessing when battleye updated to v1.200, I've been experiencing a very odd issue. When I close Dayz, the Program Compatibility Assistant crashes causing 10 other services to fail. It causes me to drop internet and it is only resolved by a reboot. At first I thought my USB wireless adapter was going out. I then grabbed another from work (different brand/interface and all) but the issue was still present.

MLB: EVGA X58 FTW3

CPU: Intel Core i7-960

MEM: 12GB G.Skills

GPU: EVGA GTX 560 SC 1GB x2

PSU: Ultra 1000w

SSD: Corsiar P3-64 x2 in RAID0

HDD: 500GB WD Blue; 1TB WB Blue, 2TB WD Blue.

Here are the errors I've found in the order that fail:

Event ID: 1000
Faulting application name: svchost.exe_PcaSvc, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x50108897
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010acd2
Exception code: 0xc0000008
Fault offset: 0x0000000000004c19
Faulting process id: 0x3c0
Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5409a9d7a29e
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: da496fba-c001-11e2-be6a-001fbc0d6717
Faulting package full name:

Event ID: 7031
The Windows Audio Endpoint Builder service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Event ID: 7034
The Device Association Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Human Interface Device Access service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The HomeGroup Listener service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

The Program Compatibility Assistant Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Superfetch service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Distributed Link Tracking Client service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Event ID: 7034
The Diagnostic System Host service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The WLAN AutoConfig service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Portable Device Enumerator Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

The Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

After this happened, even after I new wireless adapter was installed, I decided to perform a full system diagnostic. That night I ran memtest86 v4.20 till the next morning. It passed 8 times without error. I decided to take my computer to work and run some tests there. All but one of my hardware devices passed daignostic tests. I found that one of my HDDs was failing but this HDD was only a storage drive that had nothing to do with the game or mod. I still removed it from play and pressed on. When the issue was still occuring that night, I had lost my patience with it and performed a fresh install of windows. Re-installed the games and mod, still happened.

My motherboard has some SATA III ports by Marvell. I moved my SSD raid off of them onto the SATA II Intel as the Marvell can have issues. Clean install of OS, games, and mod, still happened. I've since found that if I disable the PCA service, it has stopped happening. I'd rather have that service enabled but at this point I'm at a loss. I can not find anyone else who is having such a unique issue. It's puzzling to say the least.

Edited by dublea
  • Like 1

I'm getting the same problem. Not disabled the PCA service to test yet but will do this later today.

*edit* Now been runnig with PCA service disabled and i've not had a single problem.

Edited by Trampyjoe

Since I've found a few people who are also having this issue, here is how to disable the service:

Hold the Windows key + R to open the Run prompt and type services.msc

OEbpqlJ.png

Find the Program Compatibility Assistant service and double click.

SIcl1y8.png

Double click it to open the property windows. Stop the service and then set it to Disabled. Hit apply and you should be good.

yBJKIWW.png

What will happen when this service is set this way? Programs that will need to be ran as Administrator or in some compatibility mode will not do so on their own sometimes. It may cause some issues that you will have to address on an individual basis. This is only a band-aid as this needs to be corrected by BattlEye.

UPDATE: I just submitted a ticket with BattlEye. After I made this post, I tested a theory that it was BattlEye and not DayZ or Arma 2 / OA. I connected to servers that were not BE enabled, and no disconnect issue. But any server running BE anti-cheat causes this service to fail. Hopefully they can address the issue and create a resolution as I would prefer to have this service enabled.

Edited by dublea
  • Like 4

This did not work for me...I wonder why

See the list of services that fail? Check your Software and Event Log in Windows Event Viewer and see what is failing when you disconnect. Be sure that you actually set it to disabled as the service will start again if it stays set to automatic.

This is the error in windows viewer

The WLAN AutoConfig service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 120000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

Edited by LieutenantSmurf

Is that the only service that is failing? Check your Application logs too for an error

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_PcaSvc, version: 6.2.9200.16420, time stamp: 0x505a9a4e

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16579, time stamp: 0x51637f77

Exception code: 0xc0000008

Fault offset: 0x0000000000004c39

Faulting process id: 0x1f8

Faulting application start time: 0x01ce566e2729bebb

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll

Report Id: aab7568b-c272-11e2-be70-50e549e090b2

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

This is the application log

svchost (1424) The database cache size maintenance task has taken 60 seconds without completing. This may result in severe performance degradation. Current cache size is 8 buffers above the configured cache limit (180 percent of target). Cache size maintenance evicted 2 buffers, made 6288 flush attempts, and successfully flushed 0 buffers. It has run 5989 times since maintenance was triggered.

This is a warning in the app log

The thing is, I have a very high end computer

i7 3930k

680 sli

1050W

16 gigs of ram

All the works

Sorry to be spamming the post.

Edited by LieutenantSmurf

Faulting application name: svchost.exe_PcaSvc

You have not disabled the PCA service as indicated. You MUST set the Startup type to Disabled and apply AFTER you stop the service.

Edited by dublea

WORKED!

Good to hear.

I was informed today:

Yes, a fix will be released shortly.
  • Like 1

after the fixed is released, should we turn it back to automatic?

Yes. I would recommend to have this service always set to automatic. This is only a temporary band-aid fix.

BattlEye v1.201 has resolved this issue and you can now re-enable the PCA service.