Sign in to follow this  
Techercizer

Don't like Bandits? Maybe you can do something about it.

One of the most common ways I see people justifying their murder of other players is to (correctly) state that they're just playing the game how they want to, and have a right to PvP based fun as anyone else does.

With this in mind, now that we have low humanity detection, what about the other end of this argument? Since it's perfectly appropriate for bandits to hunt and kill other players for loot or just fun, it should also be appropriate for players who like cooperation to have the same privilege. Say, to hunt and kill bandits because it makes them feel like they're making the game safer, and for fun.

And since bandits now spawn without weapons (and there is apparently nothing wrong with camping around the coast in places like Cherno and Elektro killing newbies), there shouldn't be anything wrong with hanging out around all the places people spawn and killing anyone giving off a heartbeat?

And since heartbeats only emerge from bandits with extremely low (negative) humanity, this action wouldn't actually have any negative impact on the people putting down the bandits?

So, in theory, we could use the in-game tools available to us to create our own consequences for bandits (consequences they would be free to fight against themselves) instead of trying to get something hard-coded in that favors one play style over another?

Does that sound about right? If so, it seems like something many of these outspoken anti-bandit people should be giving a try. It might even be fun. With the tendency many of these players have towards teaming up and working together, it should be even easier for them to do something like this.

And since bandits now spawn without weapons (and there is apparently nothing wrong with camping around the coast in places like Cherno and Elektro killing newbies)' date=' there shouldn't be anything wrong with hanging out around all the places people spawn and killing anyone giving off a heartbeat?[/quote']

Nobody is going to have a heartbeat if they never had a weapon to kill anyone with. Humanity is at the base value when you spawn.

And since bandits now spawn without weapons (and there is apparently nothing wrong with camping around the coast in places like Cherno and Elektro killing newbies)' date=' there shouldn't be anything wrong with hanging out around all the places people spawn and killing anyone giving off a heartbeat?[/quote']

Nobody is going to have a heartbeat if they never had a weapon to kill anyone with. Humanity is at the base value when you spawn.

I was led to believe Humanity followed your character around between lives.

If it indeed does not, maybe it should?

Had 0 Murders on my spawn but my friends heard my heart beating SUPER fast, definitely carries over.

It does now? That's interesting. When did they change it, then? Seems like a bad idea to me, because maybe somebody would want to RP a bad guy one character and a good guy the next. This kinda takes an aspect out of the intended permanent death of characters.

All I have to say is this.

NEVER punish a player. Rather, reward some and provide lack of reward for others.

What I mean by this is for example if Rocket were to implement any of the suggestions based around towns or anything that required 5-10 players or more to do that rewarded all the players involved, you would have more team work without it being coded in. Lone players could try but it would be harder.

Punishment makes people hate things. Lack of reward doesn't really have much effect. Think of it as raising children. Do you spank your child each time he curses or do you order pizza when he gets an A on his test?

Humanity Carries over, always has (as far as I know).

This suggestion is not RP its fairly lame, spawn camping is game breaking behavior.

This also doesn't account for people killing in self-defense, If someone tries to kill you and you kill them before they kill you, you will still get a negative humanity hit.

Also for the record, it isn't the bandit's hearbeat that you can hear, its your heartbeat :D

It should, you shouldn't have the ability to flip flop around. If you killed someone before this at least lets people know that you might kill them even if you just say you want to team up. Your actions have consequences and it should stay that way.

This is coming from someone who plays the game for PvP mostly, so I probably have low humanity but, I'll team up if it benefits me somehow though. If having low humanity gets me in trouble later, oh well, I made the decision and I'm paying for it then.

Let me quote an earlier post I made regarding this . . . . .

IMO I think that (heartbeats) is a lame attempt to rectify the situation as it presents "loopholes" such as having to aim at each other (most bandits wouldn't even wait to hear heartbeat before pulling the trigger) and it doesn't begin to address the problem of survivors killing survivors which in turn is going to eliminate any trust in ppl in the game . . . . .

Just for the record I play both sides and in true OCD fashion I will play survivor till i die then bandit till I die and so on and so forth.  I see being a bandit as the easy mode and survivor as the hard mode and would like to have a bit more of a challenge when playing as a bandit tbh.

This is my opinion - you all have your own . . . . . .

I have not researched this in the forums so excuse me if this idea has already been discussed' date=' also, I have no real insight into the way the arma engine works and with that in mind ppls, let me suggest the following:

still keep PVP as is but have those wishing to be bandits join opfor/bluefor side and those wishing to be survivors join the civilian side. FF is active on the military side while FF is off on the civilian side. This way bandits can still kill survivors and each other and have distinctive outfits and survivors can trust other survivors as they cant kill each other but still shoot back at bandits - a fair compromise is it not? - this is in no way a final demand and constructive criticism is welcome on postcards below . . . . .

[/quote']

I was always under the impression that when somebody with a bandit skin died, they spawned as a survivor (back in the day of skins). I've never gone down that path, so I guess I was just assuming, since death resets you in every other way.

All I'm saying is that I've heard plenty of people decrying bandits and the lack of trust that has begun to become prevalent in Day Z, but I haven't heard of anybody actually taking the fight to the bandits and fighting murder with murder. Plenty of bandits camp the coast for newbies, but I have yet to see a carebear who camps the coast for bandits. In most post-apocalyptic fiction, if things like morality and law are enforced at all, it's usually by bands of regulators who decide to try and keep the peace with their guns; I don't see why we can't have something like that in Day Z.

The heartbeat sound is only for extremely negative humanity, from what rocket has said, so self defense won't get you one unless you do it a lot.

I've had low humanity before, because some people who just spawned (when they used to spawn with guns) attempted to kill me and my friend, they killed my friend and I killed them, but my humanity went down, and as I held my friends gear for him to return, so did the "bandits" who still had a somewhat high humanity, I killed them both again, then my friend returned and we left. In short, I had low humanity for self defense. spawn killing anyone, even bandits, is just stupid. The only time I say its not, is when you see a bandit go inside a building and return with a gun, then aim towards you.

I've had low humanity before' date=' because some people who just spawned (when they used to spawn with guns) attempted to kill me and my friend, they killed my friend and I killed them, but my humanity went down, and as I held my friends gear for him to return, so did the "bandits" who still had a somewhat high humanity, I killed them both again, then my friend returned and we left. In short, I had low humanity for self defense. spawn killing anyone, even bandits, is just stupid. The only time I say its not, is when you see a bandit go inside a building and return with a gun, then aim towards you.

[/quote']

Well some people would say that killing anyone period is just stupid, while others would say that not killing someone is stupid. You're welcome to your opinions about how others should play the game, but bandits and survivors both have a right to play the game they want, and it doesn't seem stupid to some of them.