Sign in to follow this  
tenbucc2

Communications system

according to my steam account i have about 50 hours of gameplay. Probably half of that was spent on finding servers, reconnecting from the "loading" screen and disconnecting from night time servers. regardless, i have a fair amount of time in-game but i still haven't figured out the communications system.

everyone speaks in "side" channel not global - why? what's the difference?

Direct channel doesn't work or does it? if it does, is it effected by range?

What's the solution in working in a team? is there a channel we can use to chat without talking on the side or global channels?

according to my steam account i have about 50 hours of gameplay. Probably half of that was spent on finding servers' date=' reconnecting from the "loading" screen and disconnecting from night time servers. regardless, i have a fair amount of time in-game but i still haven't figured out the communications system.

everyone speaks in "side" channel not global - why? what's the difference?

Direct channel doesn't work or does it? if it does, is it effected by range?

What's the solution in working in a team? is there a channel we can use to chat without talking on the side or global channels?

[/quote']

Okay, so basically, Side channel is a makeshift global, I think due to the fact that Direct and Global were bugged in an Arma 2 beta and/or Global lagged the servers.. But The only two channels worth knowing at first is:

Side Channel - Global chat, some servers seem to have it disabled, some don't. (DO NOT USE VOICE IN THIS CHANNEL. IT LAGS SERVERS)

Direct Chat - Proximity chat, very useful and VERY immersive, it's a fun way to play but not a safe way, avoid it's use in Cities along the coast, when you move North I'd suggest using it(Other alternatives being Skype, Ventrilo, and Teamspeak 3)

Vehicle - Only really useful for speaking to those in your vehicle with you, it's nice because it keeps the chat nice and secluded so nobody can hear and/or read what you're talking about.

That's about it for more or less knowing the channels you need to know, have fun and happy hunting!

-Krack :D