I agree. I know the map too well, I know the game too well.

I remember the days when I'd spend hours wandering around wondering where the hell I was... sounding out the names on Cyrillic road signs... finding new and strange places... overjoyed at finding a tractor or a can of pop "in the middle of nowhere".

Now I just... know it all.

I have the same experience, I know the game too well. It's just not as fun as it used to be, not knowing where I was going or anything. I remember Elektro and Cherno were so new to me I loved to just look around and piece together the city, now I know it like the back of my hand and that feeling of exploration is gone. I remember the trick with the night were people would put up Gamma and brightness to see. I remember following power lines because I didn't know where I was going. I want that feel of exploration back. It would be nice to see the team make a new map for the SA along with Cherno. It would be nice if servers had a map generator like minecraft so it is always new. That's what I want back. Atleast that is the only thing I can ask for back. That feel of exploration.

I really hope Standalone will bring back "the feel" for me, i miss my first few times playing when i was scared of dark (ingame lol) and zombies. i remember when i first went to the NWAF, it took me over 7 hours walk navigating will purely a compass and nothing else, it was great although i got as soon as i got there i got shot :P. soo many good experiences that all these mods and maps could never fill.

Edited by Stapo

Well at this point as others have said all of the servers are all "9001+ vehicles and custom loadouts" that include everything you could ever need, also custom buildings that make the small towns just as good for looting as cities used to be. For me with those custom buildings I can hit up a Kamenka grocery store find food,weapons, tools, and be on my way straight north. At this point I don't even need a compass or map because I know every inch of this map. Sad but true even when S.A. makes its release we won't feel that same old feeling because it will still be on the same map just a revised version of it. The good thing about stand-alone is a lot of the mechanics of gameplay have been changed and remade, so we will get some what of a new feeling when playing. But like all games if you play them enough you will know every possible outcome.

Edited by ingruo

Well at this point as others have said all of the servers are all "9001+ vehicles and custom loadouts" that include everything you could ever need, also custom buildings that make the small towns just as good for looting as cities used to be. For me with those custom buildings I can hit up a Kamenka grocery store find food,weapons, tools, and be on my way straight north. At this point I don't even need a compass or map because I know every inch of this map. Sad but true even when S.A. makes its release we won't feel that same old feeling because it will still be on the same map just a revised version of it. The good thing about stand-alone is a lot of the mechanics of gameplay have been changed and remade, so we will get some what of a new feeling when playing. But like all games if you play them enough you will know every possible outcome.

good thing i stopped playing months ago :P

@OP

Yep, good catch. There are a lot of posts that suggest that many want to get the newbie feeling back. They know the game very well, play like a pro, but the same time they complain about it, because after all, they play too successful, have too much loot and feel not challenged.

This is a bit of a growing problem. I as well already get the feeling that the map might get a little small.

edit

typos

Edited by Ken Bean

Another personal observation here on how to keep things from getting stale. Take more risks. You've got yourself all geared, you have your vehicles, and you got that way by being smart and careful. Well stay smart but ditch the careful. And make it about the other players on your server. Make an effort to interact a LOT good or bad. Hunt down everyone you can, this is dangerous and unless your server is really bad will probably end in your own death. Or help everyone you can, every person who needs a ride or medical attention as long as they aren't a known bandit. Play smart still, so scope out the area don't walk into a certain death trap. If you have a suspicion it MIGHT be a trap though, try and beat it. Don't just avoid a dangerous situation, seek it out and try to beat it. Hunt the good guys and save the bad guys, just be risky! No more fat sack of loot when the bambi had sniper cover. Or bigger sack of loot when you killed the sniper and the bambi :)

Good ideas, RabidDiabetic.

I've made the DayZ experience fresher by doing a few different things:

1. Removed random keys from my keyboard

2. Played while wearing mittens

3. Wore a blindfold while walking through Cherno

4. Carried a lit flare at all times!

5. Fire off the Lee Enfield in the middle of the big cities as frequently as possible

6. Only fly the helicopter - upside down

7. Played "Hot Potato" with a timed satchel charge

8. Bicycle races across the base of sniper hill

9. Playing the "see how far my fishing boat will take me East" game

10. Trying to get more than 5 minutes of Side-Chat time singing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" on a fully-populated server

And those are just some of my ideas...

• Like 2

HOW TO REFRESH YOUR DAYZ FEEEL :

1. Don't use the map, happened to me and my friend we left the coast and it was so scary and fun xD

2. Do not use insanely militarized weapons. I usually use a M16a2 or a Lee enfield.

3. Remove the Shift+Leftclick on map. should be about adventure not knowing exactly where the hell you are. ( Exception if you have like a gps )

===============================================================================

Also here is a idea for standalone.

Add different crossbows. thank you.

Edited by Rozzok

I wish that feeling was with me everytime i played, my first AK47 that I found at balota, gave me such excitement.

In gun fights i would usually hide or run and i was scared, my heart still races sometime in dayz wich is one of the reasons i still play it.

I hope the standalone has "that DayZ feel"

HOW TO REFRESH YOUR DAYZ FEEEL :

1. Don't use the map, happened to me and my friend we left the coast and it was so scary and fun xD

2. Do not use insanely militarized weapons. I usually use a M16a2 or a Lee enfield.

3. Remove the Shift+Leftclick on map. should be about adventure not knowing exactly where the hell you are. ( Exception if you have like a gps )

===============================================================================

Also here is a idea for standalone.

Add different crossbows. thank you.

Non of that really helps. I can practically be anywhere on the map and know where I am going and where I am. It's a good idea for some other people. But I really don't need a map to know where I am going on Cherno as it is.

For months, posts have been popping up with people talking about how they don't get that old "DayZ feel" when they play anymore. And to an extent, I agree with them, but I never really knew why. Recently I watched a video, and that made it all click.

It might not be this way for players who started after the "big hype", but for us players who have been playing since this time last year, the reason is you know the game too well. Before DayZ was all over the internet with Let's Plays, and Tutorials, and Livestreams, it was just a bunch of gamers looking for something...new and different. I know there's people like me who loaded in that first time, on the coast, with nothing but a revolver, and some assorted gear, and thought to themselves "what the fuck is going on?"

No instructions, no tutorial, nothing, you had to learn everything the hard way. You didn't know how many shots to kill that zombie, you didn't understand loot spawns, stances, sound, hunger, thirst, etc. Everything was new, and you didn't know what the hell was going to happen next. Now when you play, everything is same old, same old. You know weapon stats, loot spawns, you understand all the gear, loot, etc.

So that is why you're not getting the DayZ Feeling anymore.

I feel this is only part of it.

You need to give yourself an objective to give that feel. When you first started you had an objective. Survive.

After a while that changed to nothing. Give yourself a challenge and you'll be ok :)

I have none of these problems, why just yesterday I logged stars and stripes found ICE's camp hideout at Topeka dam glitch and got the two players online at that moment to come load up all of ICE's gear... They won't be hunting noobs on the coast with awesome weaponry anymore!,

Hello there

I found a nice (seemingly vanilla) Private(?) server yesterday and had a good few hours play. I even bumped into a few survivors and while I flayed drastically to change channel and scream out "friendly!" they had already looked bemusedly at me and were gone before I came to my senses.

Thats a refreshing change.

Judging by the side chat many folk were on as well, so its not just quiet servers that are safe from uber band1tz.

Rgds

LoK

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/135318-vanilla-dayz-brains-of-britain/

I realised when i first started playing that the joy was in not knowing wtf was going on. So i never let myself look at a map i hadnt found in game, never looked on the internet for any information and just learnt it slowly. Have been playing for a year now though so yeah chernarus has gotten too familiar. But ive just started playing some other maps in the last couple months and again doing the same thing, it does feel surprisingly fresh! Have only really played taviana for a couple months now and i only just feel like im getting too familiar. Not googling is the way!