Sign in to follow this  
jackghnnm78@gmail.com

Using AverMedia LiveGamer Portable

From what I remember the big issue with those cards is.

#1 The hardware compression to H264 is not nearly as good as software (X264) compression.

#2 You can't use said hardware compression and capture at the same time in Xsplit unless somthing has changed from back then.

That aside it looks like a good external capture solution and I liked their PCi express card's quality.

Also keep in mind. If you have a good Quad Core PC. The software compression using Open Broadcast or Xsplit or whatever isn't that bad if you are streaming.

What has me considering purchasing this is the portable recording. That could be VERY handy if one is not wanting to set up all the software recording and all that. (Note it requires a class 10 SD card tho which is less common than the kind used in cameras and Nintendo Wii consoles. )

I wouldn't go for any AverMedia product, coming from personal experience. And just take a look at their forums, you get a good picture of the reason why.

I bought an AverMedia Live Gamer HD a while ago. Sounded great, bypasses the CPU and does the encoding on the card, hence it not affecting frames/performence. Plus it's very easy to stream with XSplit. The issue? If you have two or more monitors, it can be painful at times to get right. It relies on an HDMI connection, and for some reason becasue of this the colours completly screw up. Hard to explain, but Green and Red look horrible on my monitor when using this (Outside and during recording). Plus any text seems to become disoriented. Records great in terms of smoothness and has no lag. But the graphically it seems to screw up, you can find a fair few issues on this in their forums.

I have since gone back to Dxtory. Overclocking my CPU to 4.5Ghz has helped this. I can record 720p gameplay at 30fps, while playing in 1080p at 60+fps.