lol4ever.sw@web.de

Possible solution to the impact 3rd Party voice programs have on the Game

A few days ago I thought about someone here complaining that using 3rd party programs for voice communication is kinda unfair, and while I think it's totally ok to use them, I agree that it's an advantage over random players meeting and then playing together (as seldom as it happens, sadly). So I thought it might be a solution to force direct voice chat in standalone. However, this would need a few requirements to work properly:

-Being able to mute specific people (so that if you want to talk to your friends over a 3rd party program but also want to play DayZ with them you don't here them twice) for voice chat ONLY

-The voice in direct chat becoming more quiet when you are farther away. Else whispering wouldn't help you to stay undetected.

This Idea also has some cons ofc:

-One would need a mic you can mute (ok, you can still plug it out or mute it in windows settings) so that if you play alone you can still talk to yourself or whatever.

-If you talk to someone not playing with you, and you play DayZ, this would still warn nearby players of your existence, and you couldn't simply mute your mic as this would also mute it for the 3rd party program.

Didn't find this using forum search, sorry if it already exists, link would be appreciated. And I'm tired, so sorry for any spelling and/or grammar mistakes.

regards,

Wait, your suggestion is to make the chat function activated 100% of the time? ...interesting.

And was it my post that inspired this? :)

I can see your thoughts, but there are many problems.

I for one use push to talk, as if I don't use it, I always have a hot mic over TS, the other reason being one second I will be playing talking normally, the next second I will be screaming across the house for ice cream... So if voice chat is always on....I'll have to give up ice cream.

I can also see there being many other problems with this as well.

They should just make DayZ use it's own Sound Driver and block out other ones while the exe is open so you can't use the other ones :P.

• Like 1

I for one use push to talk, as if I don't use it, I always have a hot mic over TS, the other reason being one second I will be playing talking normally, the next second I will be screaming across the house for ice cream... So if voice chat is always on....I'll have to give up ice cream.

You can turn down the VON to get rid of the Side Chat, this doesn't effect direct of vehicle chat.

there would be no problems. force only direct chat activated and you can still use push to talk in 3rd party voice tools.

that would be really awesome!

simply delete the direct chat key in voice options ingame, thats it.

Edited by TR!PLE

It's an interesting idea,

But I play DayZ to hang out with friends and socialize.

We might be playing DayZ, talking about this and that, then we might decide to play War Thunder or something.

But if this was put in, DayZ would be serious 24/7. So I like the idea of 3rd party better than essentially perma direct.

I actually like the idea of permanent direct (so long as you have a mic). Your vents and skypes and mumbles kinda detract from the experience.

I have been thinking that a lot actually. For the most part, I mostly play solo because I work better that way and better interactions with randoms and for about half the time, I encounter players who happen to shoot on sight and not willing to communicate due to 3rd party softwares.

What I was thinking if it's even possible if the game could recognize 3rd party VOiP software and notify you to close them out to enhance the experience.

The downside to this is that many players want to group up and enjoy the experience together which encourages the community to expand even more in many ways possible

@Applejaxc, yes it was^^

Yeah, that's why I said it would require people to have a mic that is easily muteable. (like mine, I just push a button on my headset, it's off, I can scream through the whole house, and then demute it and talk to my friends or random guys in DayZ again) But not everybody would like to spend much money on Headsets. (while you can get an easily muteable Headset for around 20€, those might not really fit your ears, and the one for 40€ that does fit your ears might not have muting possibility). One other possibility would be to have different Servers, but I think that would scatter the playerbase to much, DayZ is more fun with more people imho. Always depends on the number of players in the SA though.

It's an interesting idea,

But I play DayZ to hang out with friends and socialize.

We might be playing DayZ, talking about this and that, then we might decide to play War Thunder or something.

But if this was put in, DayZ would be serious 24/7. So I like the idea of 3rd party better than essentially perma direct.

Exactly, it's the biggest Problem I see with this as well. Though I think if you play non-serious and talk about random stuff, you wouldn't care that much about dieing. I may be wrong though^^ (I think that on Vanilla servers DayZ is only really fun if you play it seriously anyway, if I want to make useless stuff I go on some private hive with tons of Vehicles, which wont be in SA at first anyway). Still, if you are let's say 4 people, and 2 of you decide to play something else, but 2 continue to play DayZ, you sometimes would have problems communicating with your friends.

I have been thinking that a lot actually. For the most part, I mostly play solo because I work better that way and better interactions with randoms and for about half the time, I encounter players who happen to shoot on sight and not willing to communicate due to 3rd party softwares.

What I was thinking if it's even possible if the game could recognize 3rd party VOiP software and notify you to close them out to enhance the experience.

The downside to this is that many players want to group up and enjoy the experience together which encourages the community to expand even more in many ways possible

I personally also like talking to my friends through Skype/Teamspeak while playing DayZ, just because of better quality than ingame, so I think I still wouldn't turn off 3rd party VOiP software, and there probably are many others who think the same. I wouldn't mind to also be heard ingame by others though, as long as I do also hear them. (because, let's face it, even if I would perma activate direct voice chat for me while playing, those Snipers sitting somewhere and jerking off when they kill helpless people wouldn't do it voluntarily) I also think the game wouldn't even have to recognize 3rd party VOiP Software, you could just have the message pop up every time you join a Server by standard.

Edited by LoL4Ever
  • Like 1

Its a good but useless idea. People use their mobiles to use skype to communicate with eachother (some peep.. But if there would be such a restriction for 3rd party voice programs....)

Edited by SoulHunter

Its a good but useless idea. People use their mobiles to use skype to communicate with eachother (some peep.. But if there would be such a restriction for 3rd party voice programs....)

Yeah I'd just unplug my mic and use my IPad.

• Like 1

If something like this is implemented, there will always be ways to get around it.

And yes, DayZ is a simulator, but if they were to restrict 3rd party programs such as Teamspeak and Skype, and make Direct chat open 24/7, that would just be a little over the top in my point of view.

No one said anything about restricting the third party programs. Just making it so that anyone walking by you ingame while you're talking can hear you. That way, your 3rd party program sort of emulates a radio or whatever, but just like you could be heard talking on a radio, you can be heard talking on skype or vent... Just that as far as the person in-game is concerned, you're a crazy persont alking to yourself.

• Like 1