Sign in to follow this  
TacticalTuna

Players should develop Mental illness

I support the mental insaninty feature...

But it must be caused by other things. not the pvp

(and i am a guy who hate Kos and bandits XD )

Edited by Edoissimo

This idea would seem very forced and would totally ruin my roleplay.

My character doesn't have visions or mental illness, he has terrible OCD. He won't open doors without having toilet paper in his inventory (it protects his hands from "contamination").

OCD is a mental illness.

A mental disorder is a psychological pattern or anomaly, potentially reflected in behavior, that is generally associated with distress or disability, and which is not considered part of normaldevelopment in a person's culture.

Different societies or cultures, even different individuals in a subculture, can disagree as to what constitutes optimal versus pathological biological and psychological functioning.

Likewise, the fact that a behavior pattern is valued, accepted, encouraged, or even statistically normative in a culture does not necessarily mean that it is conducive to optimal psychological functioning.

Edited by Lady Kyrah
  • Like 1

The game can be terrifying enough when you're actually attached to your character.

Hell, certain Arma 2 combat situations will get your heart pumping. Imagine if they made zombies scary-- mental illness wouldn't be necessary, you would panic and fuck up in no time.

• Like 1

The game can be terrifying enough when you're actually attached to your character.

Hell, certain Arma 2 combat situations will get your heart pumping. Imagine if they made zombies scary-- mental illness wouldn't be necessary, you would panic and fuck up in no time.

Hey I know you the one who plays on the BMRF Server cool.

This idea would seem very forced and would totally ruin my roleplay.

My character doesn't have visions or mental illness, he has terrible OCD. He won't open doors without having toilet paper in his inventory (it protects his hands from "contamination").

There are too many CoD kiddies to "roleplay" tho most of them are horrible it is still hard to enjoy some of the key features... like player interaction that isn't just shooting

I support the mental insaninty feature...

But it must be caused by other things. not the pvp

(and i am a guy who hate Kos and bandits XD )

i agree with that i just think that there shouldn't be just physical illness in the game some mental illness would make it more interesting

A mental disorder is a psychological pattern or anomaly, potentially reflected in behavior, that is generally associated with distress or disability, and which is not considered part of normaldevelopment in a person's culture.

Different societies or cultures, even different individuals in a subculture, can disagree as to what constitutes optimal versus pathological biological and psychological functioning.

Likewise, the fact that a behavior pattern is valued, accepted, encouraged, or even statistically normative in a culture does not necessarily mean that it is conducive to optimal psychological functioning.

What are you referring to?

Here's the only thing to be done about bandits. Get a crew together, get highly organized, and hunt them down like the opportunistic dogs they are. Hopefully they'll get organized as well and then you'll have a truly amazing DayZ experience.

Most fun I've had in DayZ was organizing an intense elimination of a bandit group. The group consisted of seven to ten kids who all killed on sight and caused much grief, especially to new players on our server. We planted a very brave mole, noted all their base coordinates, and after a week of cat and mouse, destroyed or took everything they had gathered and systematically killed them all.

You know not all bandits are the KOS varient. Some are highwaymen. Some are misunderstood. A bandit like me however Is co-operativable.

Bandits have feelings you know. Wahh!

Given the % of folks I have run into in online gaming that "claim" they are on psych meds ... the mental illness angle is pretty well covered.

Lets say everyone has a basic chance to develop a mental illness and every time he shots someone (a survivor or a hero) he has a chance of 3% that it might break out.

The effects could drastically increase depending on how often the chance was taken.

To handle the effects (e.g. imagined shots, steps, flys as an indicator of a dead player, cars, helis, ... seeing things like other player, crashed helis ... generally hearing and spotting things that are not there, shaking, panicing, ...) the player needs to medicate himself. So he would need to carry way more meds aound.

And there should be no indicator which says, you need your pills now. You just start hearing and seeing things. Way later shaking and panicing returns. The player could get fouled into strange situations. It should appear legit to him.

Which also is interesting for group dynamics. If a bandit joins a group, maybe he's a killer and betrays them anyway, he could act strange and so he may reveal himself. "Lets head to the crashed heli." - "What heli?? :huh:"

If he really is in bad condition, should he even start to talk to himself? Making strange noises? Freaking out? But this would be pretty clear signs for the rest of the party.

Keep in mind, medication temporary helps, just not 100%.

Edit

What about even really having crashed heli sights solely for him? Kind of instanced locations, even with Zeds - just without loot.

Nicely done, mental illness could be the additional challlenge for PvP we were looking for.

Edit

I'd say instanced encounter are the way to go.

Wouldn't it be cool to see a player running from a horde of Zeds which exists only in his mind? Shooting to nowhere, trying to sneak up the only for him existing heli crash, which doesn't have any loot?

We'd need a bunch of encounter types, which player usually happen to encounter, for mental ill player instanced, but without loot chances.

Maybe we could have side effects, like whisper in the night, shaking and so on, but that would be the obvious symptoms. To really kick in, we'd need some symptoms which are not obvious the the mental ill player. They need the thrill PvP brings? Give em more thrill. We need to bring them into more situations they need to deal with. E.g. "Phantom Killer Zeds" chasing them should be persistent and doing real harm. Wolfes hunting them, scaring the shit out of them at night.

. We need a way how they get rid of their ammo. ;) Edited by Ken Bean

TO EVERYONE

All of your argumentS are invalid as you have never gone to war or had to shoot someone. Quit pretending to be an expert because you can google and play video games.

No and no and no. I develop my own mentality and if a forced dissonance arises between my character and how my mental state actually is (due to the the gameplay and its effect on me) I would be the puppetmaster of an avatar that isn't me. It's not my story. And my story is the crux of DayZ.

I get combat stress, I get so pissed off , I QQ, after a 1 hour counter sniping battle I run head first (and fully geared) into the M107 because i just don't give a shit anymore. I kill people because i want a chuckle, I save somebody but don't team becasuse I want to help and I team up because I can't take the world alone. Some people would thirve, some people crack and all the while human dynamism makes or breaks the player, not RPG stats.

DayZ is one of the few games that lets you transpose yourself, in a completely dynamic way, onto an avatar. Heck it's a full body experience, the adreniline, the nerves, the exictment. I do not want to reach a gameplay threshold where I am fully in charge of conscience but my character isn't. It shatters the entire experience.

SA will (hopefully) push this by experience to the limit refining the current one, not because RPG/Skills/Perks/Karma thresholds are added. Thats a new game and a done and dusted, oversaturated, dime a dozen game.

Edited by Trizzo

I already have.. who said that?

Also Disorder doesn't like it when you speak in the third person.

Disorder is not amused!

Edited by disorder

No and no and no. I develop my own mentality and if a forced dissonance arises between my character and how my mental state actually is (due to the the gameplay and its effect on me) I would be the puppetmaster of an avatar that isn't me. It's not my story. And my story is the crux of DayZ.

I get combat stress, I get so pissed off , I QQ, after a 1 hour counter sniping battle I run head first (and fully geared) into the M107 because i just don't give a shit anymore. I kill people because i want a chuckle, I save somebody but don't team becasuse I want to help and I team up because I can't take the world alone. Some people would thirve, some people crack and all the while human dynamism makes or breaks the player, not RPG stats.

DayZ is one of the few games that lets you transpose yourself, in a completely dynamic way, onto an avatar. Heck it's a full body experience, the adreniline, the nerves, the exictment. I do not want to reach a gameplay threshold where I am fully in charge of conscience but my character isn't. It shatters the entire experience.

SA will (hopefully) push this by experience to the limit refining the current one, not because RPG/Skills/Perks/Karma thresholds are added. Thats a new game and a done and dusted, oversaturated, dime a dozen game.

The thing is you decided to turn into a murderer because there is not much to fear besides of the bandit camo.

Getting a mental illness is nothing you decide and you also don't decide how.

If you don't want to be changed, don't do it.

I also read a lot that the game is just boring and there's no challenge left once you geared up. Why not giving you a challenge? Why not being hunted down by your fears?

Edit

The problem is to implement it in a decent way.

As said, I'm for using instanced encounter. Maybe the strange zed is hunting you, who's looking like the player you killed weeks ago? A heli is clearly flying over you, you try to hide, maybe firing back. No one else sees the heli, so for other eyes, you are behaving very strange.

The night could be worse. DayZ is supposed to cause some fear, right?

Maybe wolfe packs hunting bandits would give them occational reasons not to camp on sniper position for too long?

Or on other days a very hard zombi horde is chasing you, which somehow can't be tricked around corners? Which somehow finds you everywhere?

You'll need some meds to counter the effects. Meds which are only supplied by (certain ?) hospitals. Maybe we'll get a dedicated clinic?

What we'd need is to have a nice variety of instanced encounter and they should be challengeing, but not rewarding. So after all no extra gear is being dropped. The bandit will lose some supplies, like ammo and maybe food and meds, to patch him up. The encounter itself should be made by the sick mind and therefore not being visible for other eyes, but still, it could look very legit for the bandit (and even may cause injuries?).

If you join a team, it should be more difficult to play the friendly guy for a long time without showing some shadows.

Yeah, this may sound good in theorie but I wonder how it would work in the game. ^^

Edited by Ken Bean

TO EVERYONE

All of your argumentS are invalid as you have never gone to war or had to shoot someone. Quit pretending to be an expert because you can google and play video games.

i didn't see anyone say they have experienced mental problems...just discussed the facts about them...arse

• Like 2

Given the % of folks I have run into in online gaming that "claim" they are on psych meds ... the mental illness angle is pretty well covered.

alot of people claim to be mentally ill for attrition.... it pisses me off

I could argue that in the real world you do not "choose" to become mentally unstable, or choose to avoid it, it just happen.

Making it part of some kind of punishment/reward system is pretty short sighted and insensitive.