TheAkrab

Server Hosting Blues

Alright, where do I start?

Me and some friends recently aquired our own server, which at first we thought could be passworded or limited to fewer players (15 for example, us being a group of 4). Knowing now that this is against the rules we have a 24-slotted server that is always full. In other words, we simply cannot join our server unless we queue up for a good hour or so.

At first I was somewhat bummed out that I spent money on something I rarely get the chance to use with the strict rules, but in hindsight, I don't really mind. In fact, I'm glad there's another public server out there to help the community. It was only 40 bucks.

However... When I look at the list of available servers I can't help but die a little bit inside. Every day when me and my friends are picking the server for that day, we see the same passworded or 1-5 slotted servers that we saw the day before. If these rules have been set, why are they not being enforced? Are there any plans to warn and/or shut down such servers?

I'm just baffled and a little bit disappointed.

Anyway, thanks for reading. I'd like to read about others' point of view on this.

-TheAkrab

I do agree that the rules they have in place are what is needed.

We had an admin lock our server for 5 minutes because of a suspected scripter and the admin wanted to check the server log file without him being present. While at work not 10 minutes after it happened, I got an email warning me that my server was locked and it might be shutdown if it happens again. (This is a good thing!)

Maybe its just a clearer explanation of what these servers are meant for as I often see them too. Locked servers with a handful of people in them. It could just be testing but I think that needs to be made clear in the server name.

Yeah, I got an e-mail the first time I did that. But that was an e-mail from the hosting company (Vilayer.com), not the DayZ staff. That's how I found out there are restrictions on hosting DayZ servers. What I'm wondering is, who is keeping the server providers who aren't hosting by the rules in check?

There are many valid reasons to lock a server, 1 being to prevent the massive lag caused by 10s of people trying to connect at once. We lock ours sporadically for a couple of mins to negate this issue. There's even a BEC rcon plugin that does it for you, it wont get you black listed. The rules are strict but the Devs aren't idiots.

i think you should be able to kick people for people who pay for the server to join.

how ever the best way is to give people 5 min warning that the server will be restarted for members to be able to connect please find a safe please to log off i find this to be the only fair way and you give people a warning to log them selves off