klytuko

Heartbeating is almost like wallhack

I personally thought this was somekind of an sick joke from Rocket. Hoping i was right and he will remove it in future patch.

clearly if this is accurate as reported then it is bugged.

Don't judge a feature on how it works in a bugged state!

IMO we need some sort of indicator that someone has low humanity, in the end it may not be this, but we need something to improve gameplay for survivors. At the moment its basically open season on survivors with no negative or downside for the bandits... irl there is always a negative or downside to murder, not to mention things like conscience or morality, but in the game these are simply not factors... we need something to balance that.

I agree, I'm not even a bandit and this is worse then the skin. This is supposed to be a sim of sorts. It needs to go.

I can't deal with it because it's an artificial badge which is not needed.

Its artificial to NOT be able to read any form of body language. Beyond that its also artificial to be able to realize; "This is a game' date=' I'm just killing a few hours of a person's time, or stealing some good loot."

Yes, you aren't traumatized by any act of murder, yes you can step back and act as if its a completely normal course of action. Beyond that you also have NO FEAR of anyone 'seeing your murder' and being able to recognize you the next day/time you are seen.

Too many social aspects are NOT represented in our artificial apocalypse.

If I kill people then how will I be renowned if there are no witnesses ?

If you kill someone and I see you. How will I recognize you later if there is little physical variation of people? Why do you hide your identity behind your toon's anonymity?

How do you know you weren't witnessed? You don't. Assume you were.

What makes this game great for me is the lack of game rules. Every rule is management and the less there is the better because rules enforce a certain type of gameplay.

Agreed. There is no rule about being/not being a bandit.

The bandit who stalks Cherno murdering people? He'd be renowned. Wether it'd be myth, legened, lore, w/e that small fractured society that exists after the end would continue to talk of his deeds.

When that bandit says; "Waaah people hate me now and don't want to team up with me!"

I lol. Own up brah. You decided to be the Boogey Monster.

And why would the game enforce the way it's played? Let the players decide. I hate it because when I find someone and I hear the heartbeat I will kill him instantly.

If you hear the heartbeat... well that bandit is doing something WRONG. You should be dead before you hear that.

Basically, if you are a bandit you've ostracized yourself from majority of the populace. Deal.

And when you have the heartbeat you WILL keep killing instantly because no one will trust you.

??? Nah. Its actually very hard to keep a high negative humanity unless you are actively hunting people down. With the bandit skin it was bad. But the heart beat? Just don't get close to people and avoid anyone who you don't know till you burn off your negative humanity. :P

Perhaps for good reason but why would the game enforce that ? Let our own emotions and judgment be the deciding factor.

Without the skins people were complaining about shooting on sight anyways. The mentality was, "Better him than I". Now with the Heart Beat mechanic there is a little more tangible reason to trust people.

Someone doesnt respond to your hails ? Maybe it's time to run, maybe to kill.

Always go for the kill.

Also I'm not a killer in this game. I'm trying to keep this game free from the shackles of enforced gameplay.

The game is full of ENFORCEMENT.

You need:

water

food

medicine

to keep warm

to be smart

to be quiet

to have street smarts

to be good with a gun

to repair vehicles

to look for supplies

Now, if you want a chance to be social with other players, you need to not make a 'name for yourself' by murdering everyone you see. Hell you can murder everyone you see but just position yourself in a place where you don't see a ton of people per play time (humanity ticks down relatively fast).

Obviously I meant enforcement of player behaviour towards eachother. I don't like it and we see how well people are able to judge character from body language each political election when the next lying tool gets the stage.

I don't know what rocket's direction will be with this but any form of bandit skin, be it audio or visual, just feels wrong to me.

I don't know what rocket's direction will be with this but any form of bandit skin' date=' be it audio or visual, just feels wrong to me.

[/quote']

On the flipside the large amount of deathmatch type pvp feels wrong to me. I have nothing against pvp, I just want this game to be more than simple deathmatch with loot.

why can't real life morals' date=' remorse, empathy and fear be pushed towards the game, instead of some artificial 6th sense.

the game should provide the content, that provokes real life emotions. It shouldn't provide artificial emotions as a punishments.

[/quote']

And how would you code this in? I'll tell you, you can't and in RL external factors such as body language are impossible to put into a game so some mechanic has to be implemented.

You want to be a bandit, suffer the consequences of being a person nobody would trust or would get creeped out by. Right now Bandits have it easy (well they did until the new heartbeat came in). Can't plan ur kills around that then go play another game.

Killing people that want to survive with other people is easy, zero skill. Now just because it's got harder the whining starts.

Agreed don't make it a wall hack, but the game needs something.

I think some players don't want even a little thing as a heart beat mechanics because deep down we don't want to feel the repercussions of our actions.

We are use to games where we are free from actual true repercussions.

In other games repercussions are you firing a gun to much equals run out of ammo.

DayZ give players Fear. It hits the emotions of the player.

And players are afraid they will be punished or to say have a repercussion on them for killing players like they are lemmings. It's odd since it's ok for there to be repercussions for trusting a player to try to team up and then get killed for their beans or less.

Players see killing players as the normal. That's what you do. Teaming up,...no players are feeling more wanting an enjoyment in killing each other. Why can't there be repercussions for doing immoral things just as there are repercussions as doing moral acts.

When it comes down to it, it's part of the conditioning we have from other games as well as the social world of the internet where people can say things on a youtube post which in real life if said they would get a black eye for saying. For some reason we just lift our hands up and say, oh thats just how it is on the internet- that's the norm. Players saying terrible things during online games like the FPS and others, again of thats the norm.

Now comes DayZ which has repercussions for almost anything you do in the game. The game is brutal.

Yet if you place a consequence to your killing behavior even if its small, players react. They are so use to having no repercussions to actions that involve online interactions. DayZ seems to be wanting to place some form of way to making killing someone as risky of a behavior as trusting someone.

In a game like DayZ we should expect consequences to all our actions from helping to taking a life. Because in real life that's how it is. DayZ is about being true emotion from the real world into a game and it's doing a great job and if it needs to place some humanity mechanics to make those who choose to kill to feel fear or tension then thats a good thing. There is no place thats safe in the DayZ world even those who shoot first.

No its because its a mechanic that brand players as a certain kind of player when really the game is such a moral grey area the entire 'bandit' mechanic concept doesn't work in every form its been tried in.

All its done is create a meme in DayZ testers minds that the 'bandits' concept is somehow needed. It isn't. Purely because it doesn't fit with the rest of the mod and its created a FAR to over simplistic why of looking at players actions in game.

Its created a 'Us & Them' attitude that is a fantastic source of crying and bitching, but quite frankly detracts from move fundamental issues.

Some players kill for fun.

Some players kill for loot.

Some players kill because they are scared.

Some players kill just to test out their new toy.

All players will kill at some point.

So, at some point, we'll all be a bandit.

TL;DR

The bandit concept is to simple and hasn't worked twice now in two incarnations. I propose we give it one last try in some form, if its still not working, Bin it.