Atamax

Tools of survival

I'm having a tough time finding a few things.

I can generally find a map, and a compass with a bit of luck.

However the things I can't seem to find, and need desperately more, are matches and knives.

Especially matches, in the few months I have been playing, I've found 1 box, despite setting out just to find those alone.

Try looking in schools. I can almost find abox of matches every time i "visit" a school

For matches, your best bet is in supermarkets, since it has a 4.39% spawn rate compared to 1.65% in other residential. For hunting knife, look in industrial spawns, which you should be going to for your hatchet anyways.

If you're not opposed to using a loot map, I recommend http://dayzdb.com/map

Yep, supermarkets, there you go. You may need to search 3 or 4 but you'll have the best chance to find matches there.

in the few months I have been playing, I've found 1 box

This is pretty unusual. They are quite small, so you may have not seen them.

Sometimes it's a little strange. To find my first Ghillie Suit, it took 2 months.

Edited by Ken Bean

Try looking in schools. I can almost find abox of matches every time i "visit" a school

I'm not sure if I've came across schools. What buildings are the schools?

For matches, your best bet is in supermarkets, since it has a 4.39% spawn rate compared to 1.65% in other residential. For hunting knife, look in industrial spawns, which you should be going to for your hatchet anyways.

If you're not opposed to using a loot map, I recommend http://dayzdb.com/map

I never get to see them, I usually steer clear of the places that have them. I pretty much don't set foot into Elektro or Cherno.

I get my hatchets from barns actually. Barns and those long brown houses with the entrance room+dining room are the spawns I hit the most actually.

I'll go into 1 barn and find 3 hatchets usually. I was in industrial area of Kamolovo and did see 3 hatchets there to.

The one spawn confuses me. It shows a dog house, and theres never anything in those dog houses. On occasion I do see some items ABOVE the dog house, just floating in there air. I don't think it's possible to reach them.

Yep, supermarkets, there you go. You may need to search 3 or 4 but you'll have the best chance to find matches there.

This is pretty unusual. They are quite small, so you may have not seen them.

Sometimes it's a little strange. To find my first Ghillie Suit, it took 2 months.

The only spot I found them, was on the front door of a building. I usually do scour the floors of the residential spawns, because often some will have grass overgrowing the floor.

I found a ghillie suit in a barn, in maybe my second or third week. I hauled it around for a while, and dropped it because I couldn't use it.

You don't have to go to Cherno or Elektro for supermarkets. There's Zelenogorsk, Pustoska, Vybor, Polana and Berezino (2 supermarkets). If you spawn east of Cherno, head for Zeleno and go North from there. If you spawn East of Elektro, head for Polana and Berezino afterwards. Each path gives you 3 supermarkets to try your luck for loot.

Edited by (TMW)HerrJon