Sign in to follow this  
DannyFilming

Questions of how to make dayz cinematics

I have the idea for a dayz cinematic I want to try and make, maybe as a simple short or maybe as an intro to a lets play, we'll see about that..

I've seen cinematics being made of dayz that can rival feature films if the appropiate effort is put into it. The camera can move wherever you want it and you can have characters and vehicles move as you please. However I have no idea how to put this into practice. I don't even know the logistics of how to make characters move while you film it. Is it even possible to do this alone?

I have a spesific question regarding cinematics also, is it possible, if i want to let's say make a time lapse of cherno from day to night while the camera moves over it?

Any and all replies to this is greatly appreciated because the potential of the cinematics are limitless and I believe I will be able to create great things if I only knew how.

Hey there, you need to use the editor to make the cinematics, you can do pretty much everything you said.

The guy that does my favourite cinematics is a member of this forum, Karwin Leutscher (Username: kleutscher) and he made a few videos showing you how to get set up with the editor.

Here is the thread with his two videos: http://dayzmod.com/f...ticsmachinimas/

He's done some very nice videos including some intros for FRANKIEonPCin1080P among others.

Edited by Rossums

Excellent man, I'm gonna try and make something tomorrow! There's one thing I haven't figured out how to do yet though and that is time lapsing!

I've seen frankie do it in his cinematics, if you go here

and skip to 23:10 you'll see it. I need to pan the camera and time lapse at the SAME time so I can't go in game and record.. Please if anyone knows how to do this let me know!!

Excellent man, I'm gonna try and make something tomorrow! There's one thing I haven't figured out how to do yet though and that is time lapsing!

I've seen frankie do it in his cinematics, if you go here

and skip to 23:10 you'll see it. I need to pan the camera and time lapse at the SAME time so I can't go in game and record.. Please if anyone knows how to do this let me know!!

a2 animation I think.

I use the arma 2 editor, sony vegas and adobe premiere effects and fraps also.

Origin Machinima did mine on here and he is also really good :)

So that's a definite "no" then? Oh well.. I want to make the game of thrones intro with the dayz map and since I can't get the buildings to come out of the ground I thought a time lapse would look cool. But I suppose it will look good enough no matter what..

So that's a definite "no" then? Oh well.. I want to make the game of thrones intro with the dayz map and since I can't get the buildings to come out of the ground I thought a time lapse would look cool. But I suppose it will look good enough no matter what..

For the timelapse like i did in that frankie episode is used this trigger setup.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=9537

only problem is that the timelapse in arma2 editor isnt smooth ( difficult to explain, but the speed up goes really shocky like your watching a 1 fps gameplay). so doing a timelapse and moving around is really difficult.

what i did is place the camera static somewhere. then speed up the time with the script. film 5 minutes for example and then speed up in adobe premiere 4000%. something like that to make it look smooth.

Thanks for replying Karwin. I've decided it'll look good enough without the time lapse, some times you just have to compromise. I'll send you the finished product when I'm done with it man, I'd love your feedback!

I am also working on some cinematics, but i cant find a hero or bandit skin. Can i set them like the faces of the units? And can i also use DayZ Epoch Skins?