King of Blackheath

The Frustration of DayZ

I have been playing the game for about a fortnight and have loved almost every second. I say almost because of the one solitary second today that ruined about 2 hours worth of hard graft.

I had delicately made my way from Elektro, through Berezino to the NEAF collecting enough loot for a small (very) army and collecting a lovely ATV en route, and finally started to collect the kind of gear that could protect me against a mid-level bandit. All was going well and I was really hopeful for the future; even collecting a map and a watch extra to give to a friendly who might stumble my way in the hope of gaining an ally. The server restarted as I had built my camp and so, being a shortish drive from the NEAF I decided to give it another raid to see the freshly spawned loot.

I ran around the best part of the airfield and decided, as I was a bout to return to my camp, to visit the fire station to gain some final supplies. I went right to the top and there was nothing of any note, so I decided to make my way down and back to the camp for a bite to eat and a cold pepsi before trying to find a friend to share my loot with. It was as I descended from the top flight of stairs that the cumbersome glitches that Day Z is plagued by decided to inflict a cruel fate on my hearty soldier. I glitched through the wall and fell to my death...

I love Day Z and the glitches generally just wet my appetite for the standalone that will be free of their evil tyranny...but this one made me so frustrated I had to log off and go for a run to clear my head and regroup. I know this sort of thing is commonplace amongst this community and I hope you can spare a minute to mourn my brave soldier cruelly taken from us by the God of Glitchery. Farewell King of Blackheath, soldier 20 (or so, I'm not counting...honest).

• Like 1

I must have experienced all the known glitches as well as some extra ones,

like randomly dying when under a pine tree or geting thrown in the air while walking on piers....

Must have uninstaled the game some 5 times so far but always keep coming back for more....

I realy need to decide to remove it forever one of theese days...

lad to hear you are loving the game generally but yea the bugs in the mod do get you really frustrated. As you say we can only hope for more stability in Stand Alone. Personally I think there are more than enough good things to outweigh the bugs and more frustrating points in the game. The only thing that has disappointed me over the last year really is how the mod has lost momentum since the decision to go Stand Alone was made.

once the sa comes out the glitch fixes alone could make it better.

I'd still be happy for your success on your first night. Even though you lost your character's gear and probably the ATV (please don't tell me you left it on the airfield) you still have a camp set up. You'll get your stuff back and more in time, just be patient and roll with the punches. These glitch death has happened to all of us, it sucks, but you move on.

Ya.I find a new way to die every now and then. Lasttime, I was vaulting into one of those log-style residential cottages. This one had a raised entrance so I had to vault to get in. Legs disappear, broken bones, passed out, 2 zeds seemed to insta-teleport to me and chew my face off (there were no Zed's around before I got hurt).

Oh well, I enjoy starting anew. It really doesn't bother me much any more.

one of my favourits is when you get "eaten" by a rock, can happen to you any time when you are at skalka :D

It's just ArmAs way of telling you it's time to restart.

I broke my leg whilst prone on the lowest step, (basically the step into a house) crawled to the ground somehow broke my leg and got mobbed by zombies, ......... what?

That has nothing to with Day Z, its Arma itself. That's just one of the many lovely glitches, some of my personal favorites are the killer trees and the killer gates.

It's unfortunate that you had to lose a character, but we've all been there before and we will all go there again most certainly.

Fortunately I had left the ATV in a bush so hopefully it will still be there. Does anyone know how long a camp will last on a server if it goes undetected by players? As in, after a certain amount of time/server resets, will the stuff be returned to its spawn location?

Fortunately I had left the ATV in a bush so hopefully it will still be there. Does anyone know how long a camp will last on a server if it goes undetected by players? As in, after a certain amount of time/server resets, will the stuff be returned to its spawn location?

If I remember correctly, a tent with no owner, meaning the character that placed it died (like in your case) it will dissapper after 7 days of no interaction. As soon as you move some gear in or out of it, that timer resets. Vehicles is something similar, but there's no "owner" it will just dissappear and respawn if no one uses it for awhile.

• Like 1

i know its frustrating dude.. part of the reason ive stopped playing so much, but when i do I accpet that im gonna die at some point somehow. But admittedly its much easier to accept (though still hard) getting shot after hours of scavenging by a random passer by for no reason other than their personal amusement, but with that in mind you probably would have got to the top of the last steps to find some twat chop u up the ass with axe from 5ft away..

• Like 1

one of my favourits is when you get "eaten" by a rock, can happen to you any time when you are at skalka :D

Been there, died from that. Only in ArmA/DayZ is the landscape as deadly as the enemy.

Died due to glitches in:

- Floors

- Walls

- Ladders

- ATV + Bridge, ATV + Railroad tracks, ATV + Wall when parked next to it.

- Gates

Great story OP. Yeah, those killer glitches are pretty shit, but don't give up hope. Play a bit more and you'll be avoiding those bugs a lot better - you just learn. Painfully yes, but please bear in mind for example I had a char going for 29 days way back in May-June, and I was just 2-3 weeks in. Back then the bugs were a bit worse :) (why they are still there is no-one's guess).

My favorite glitch death so far was walking on top of a mountain near the shore enjoying the view. Take a step, must of stepped into a crevasse, broken leg, timer pops up, dead. /sigh start again >:(

I've been lucky to never die to a door or tree root. Of course just saying this has probably cursed me to 10 deaths by them in the near future.