heretic (DayZ)

How about a Bow and Arrows?

Just a quick thought,

How about adding Bows and arrows to the weapons list? It shouldn't be too dissimilar to the crossbow to implement and could potentially be improvised by players...

Any thoughts?

You mean like a modern compound bow?

i think both a modern compound bow and a craftable one with less range xD & and arrows should be craftable with wood:)

You mean like a modern compound bow?

i think both a modern compound bow and a craftable one with less range xD & and arrows should be craftable with wood:)

Modern compound bows have the potential to shatter wooden arrows. IF implimented, i think the compound should require aluminum arrows while a wooden self bow could use either aluminum or wooden.

Really though, i think the Xbow would fill this role just fine if the sights were fixed.

Yes, i think both a modern compound, modern recurve and a wooden selfbow would all be doable. With appropriate restrictions re. arrow types as suggested...

Would certainly give us some more options for those sneaky silent kills...

You should def be able to make your own weapons, I mean so many people have made a homemade shotgun, sure it can only hold like 1 round, has terrible recoil, noise and accuracy and takes 5 seconds to reload, but shit, its always awesome to create your own stuff.

.12 gauge example

.22 caliber example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=I8dwtEPMe1E&NR=1 Overall examples

I might also add, I talked to my friend who is all in for history and he told me that makarov was normally created for the police force and therefore was made to damage not to kill, he told me it would take 2 shots in the head on the same place to die, I dunno if this is correct but to make the .22 caliber a 2 shot headshot kill would be nice.

One of the things that appeals to me about the idea of bow and arrows is that it's a damn sight faster to fire than a crossbow...

Then again given a choice between a sidearm/longarm and bow and arrows, the sidearm/longarm are gonna win every time. At least until the ammo runs out.

How about no? The crossbow already fills the role perfectly.

You can actually make a survival bow with nothing but a length of PVC and a short length of wooden dowel in the middle to stop it from folding in half when you pull it.

But it's slow....

Not everyone knows how to properly fire a bow, because it actually takes some practice and finesse to shoot it straight, much less kill a person with it. Seeing everyone run around with bows and arrows would not only be ridiculous but also severely unrealistic.

Crossbows require little training to use, so even someone unfamiliar with the weapon can quickly learn to make efficient use of it. It not only makes sense, but already fills the role the bow and arrow could fill.

Yes it's slow, it's supposed to be slow. It's a crossbow.

But it's slow....

Not everyone knows how to properly fire a bow' date=' because it actually takes some practice and finesse to shoot it straight, much less kill a person with it. Seeing everyone run around with bows and arrows would not only be ridiculous but also severely unrealistic.

Crossbows require little training to use, so even someone unfamiliar with the weapon can quickly learn to make efficient use of it. It not only makes sense, but already fills the role the bow and arrow could fill.

[/quote']

Well, I guess that's the beauty of these forums.. We're all welcome to hold opinions and to make suggestions. Ultimately it's Rocket and the Dev team that will look at them and decide if they like ideas or not. That's fine by me, they seem to be doing a good job so far.

As it stands you don't like the idea... no problem! Thanks for your input.

Senrain is right, bows and arrows are hard to shoot and take a lot of practice to use effectively. It would break a lot of the immersion for me to see people running around with them.

But it's slow....

Not everyone knows how to properly fire a bow' date=' because it actually takes some practice and finesse to shoot it straight, much less kill a person with it. Seeing everyone run around with bows and arrows would not only be ridiculous but also severely unrealistic.

[/quote']

After a few minutes further reflection, I would counter that most people couldn't just pick up any weapon and expect to hit every target they aim at without some training either. Your argument doesn't really seem to bear scrutiny.

And as an archer myself, I have seen children pick up a bow and hit targets at short range within minutes. Admittedly to hit targets at increasing ranges takes much more practice and experience. Whether that is any different to trying to aim any other weapon in game is debatable. Either would depend on the skill and experience of the player with the weapon being used surely?

And we get that you like the crossbow... That doesn't mean that others wouldn't prefer a silent, faster firing weapon for themselves.

Senrain is right' date=' bows and arrows are hard to shoot and take a lot of practice to use effectively. It would break a lot of the immersion for me to see people running around with them.

[/quote']

I'm not sure that right or wrong are applicable in a suggestions thread. And it would seem likely to me that in a survival situation you use whatever tool is likely to keep you alive. If you can't find the tool you require then you adapt and improvise. if necessary, I would use a rock to fend off a zed lacking any other alternative... Just kinda depends on what you perceive as realism doesn't it?

MEH

like the idea, but I think there are risks to it. I dont like all those ideas trying to bring more weapons in the game. Rather give more uses to existing items.

Bows would make a nice realistic addition to a world with high ammo-sonumption and no factories.

If damage could be dealt with throwable stuff Id prefer that though.