t0pz

Global/Side chat

Regardless what opinions everyone has on the global/side channel, please leave it up to the server owner to have it enabled or disabled.

The only reason to have it disabled seems to be due to abuse, which should be an administration issue, not a game feature.

Also, for the sake of alpha testing a global communication channel should be enabled. For full release we could talk again.

I'm also asking for this due to the fact that currently people seem to get their installations and updates wrong but come on the server and play anyway, not realizing that they are totally bugged. And nobody on the server can inform them otherwise...

yes this feature should be server based, no game dev should tell you that you cant speak to the other players on the server.

There's a lot in the gameplay that's totally reliant on communication availability or lack thereof. So, yes, a game dev absolutely should be able to tell you you can't speak to other players that you can't speak to.

Agree with leaving it up to server admins for the alpha but remove it for final release.

There are good reasons not to have the side and global chat.

But will miss the who is Cherno text popping up every few minutes lol

Also on a psychological state the player who has not talked to someone for ever might decide to chat with someone in Direct chat. This emulates if you were in this zombie apocalypse and had no contact with people for days /in game its hours/ you would act different then maybe you would if you had constant chat with anyone on the map.

The reason not to leave it up to the Server admin is because the removal needs to be tested. If there is an issue with it then items like radios can be placed in the game where you can get channels or ways of contact.

Just remember in the show The Walking Dead- how they were constantly trying to get people on radios and when they did it felt like we are not alone,..but still can they be trusted....but without human contact..will you take a chance.

I think side chat should be enabled. Just for the sake of chatting with ppl on the server. Communicating in direct chat is not cool if you want to ask for help about the game etc. And forging alliances is hardly possible with the direct chat. Approaching somebody to be able to direct chat is always dangerous if you cant tell them you come in peace. Imo side chat itself doesnt change the gaming experience at all though. It makes playing just a lil bit more entertaining.

There's a lot in the gameplay that's totally reliant on communication availability or lack thereof. So' date=' yes, a game dev absolutely should be able to tell you you can't speak to other players that you can't speak to.

Agree with leaving it up to server admins for the alpha but remove it for final release.

[/quote']

The server host is the one who decides what type of server he wants to run. I mean, they have the ability to change all other settings (regular, vet, expert, 3dp, CH, etc.) but they should not be able to decide on a chat feature? This does not seem logical.

Also, the server host should be responsible for abuse of the side-channel. For example, there are roleplay servers that require you to use only direct communication for "IN-CHARACTER" related communication. However, there are plenty of situations where you might need to talk globally, about "OUT OF CHARACTER" related issues, such as bugs, technical problems, help about game features, general off-topic entertainment, etc. The list goes on.

Though i may agree with your point, it only adresses one reason for using the chat (in-character communication). Server hosts can easily set rules to not use it for such. Also, the point of giving this option to the host is: YOU are not required to join a server that has side-chat enabled. There will be plenty of hosts who will have it disabled. Everyone wins.

Don't force your preferences onto others. Choice has always been the great aspect of arma 2 and even dayz.

And definitely leave it up during alpha, since techincal issues are present 80% of the time. Like i said, we can talk about removing it again for final release. I also like the idea of the chat acting as the in-game radio, if found. Might post this up as a suggestion.