Sign in to follow this  
aesaunic

Required Kill Messages on Every Server

After suffering from possible debug forest kills/deaths tonight, it came to mind that it would be best if all servers are REQUIRED to display kill messages or be blacklisted. If they are hidden, there is no way to tell and nothing to screenshot as possible proof from abuse/exploiting/etc. Disconnect/Connect messages as well. This will hopefully bring to light some of the admin/player abuse and exploiting.

Please respond YES or NO in bold when replying to this and then a brief summary as to why.

Cheers!

Disconnect messages should be mandatory on servers, deaths not so much. If you shoot a guy and he falls behind a wall/long grass then you shouldn't magically be able to see if you killed him, requiring visual observation of kills means that you need to be more conscious of what you're doing.

Disconnect timer needs to be bumped to 15+ seconds though imo, that would solve any issue.

NO - but agreeing with the second post - maybe player death messages being delayed by 60 seconds or so - I agree that you need to be able to confirm a kill for the OP's reasons, but at the same time it can be used to confirm a death which would otherwise go unnoticed/be a situation you might think twice about entering.

Longer DC timer would be beneficial, as long as a workaround for dupes can be coded.

Disconnect messages should be mandatory on servers' date=' deaths not so much. If you shoot a guy and he falls behind a wall/long grass then you shouldn't magically be able to see if you killed him, requiring visual observation of kills means that you need to be more conscious of what you're doing.

[/quote']

You can just check your murders though, we'd had to figure out a way to still add the murders or bandit kills to your character without letting them know they've done these actions until they've seen them, but if you don't see that you've murdered somebody...that doesn't mean you haven't murdered them, it just means you can't confirmed if they're dead or not.

Solution...remove murders and bandit kills from the debug screen...oh wait... it's a debug screen. ;)

I'd like to see it mandatory that servers *don't* have kill messages. It really messes with immersion for me.

No. I'm with Nekosan. A kill message gives you the ability to drop guard as you know the target is dead. Without kill messages, you may need to be doubly sure someone is dead with another shot to the skull.

One of the weirdest and funniest events in my game play so far was encountering someone in a barn and firing out of fear. I thought he was dead, but he was actually just unconscious and I yelped when I saw him move. I put a couple more shots in him, but it was funny. My friend on skype laughing at me.

I agree that at some point kill messages should go away, but just wait until you're debug forest killed and need to report it. You'll be lamenting the fact that you were on a server with no kill messages.

I feel like they should be displayed for now because there is a LOT of abuse going on and this is considered a bannable offense. Without proper kill messages the exploiters are receiving gratification for what they are doing. Therefore, the DayZ staff will have a harder time policing exploitation and the Cheat Report subforum will be full of "pics or it didn't happen" and trolls being trolls.

Ideally, there should be some sort of debug forest/field protection to assure that players end up in the game with their gear and not killed because some hurpdurp troll decided to leave the map and hunt down spawning players.

If anything, kill messages could be split into to classes. The "x was killed by x" (debug forest kill) and "x was killed" (normal death) and then normal deaths could be hidden so that we can still combat griefers.

TL;DR No kill messages needs to be implemented later, we need to weed these fucktards out.

-1 for all.

Nothing to break immersion like 400 "X has been killed" or "X has disconnected" chat messages every few minutes. I played on a server the other day with no messages at all and it was glorious. I could finally enjoy the game for what it was.