Being in some situations where I was solo-adventuring through the woods and lost my trail and location (fail), I've used some techniques to save myself from hypothermia at night time. When dusk hit, I took out the batteries in my flashlight, and took out a gum wrapper. I attached the two ends of the aluminium gum wrapper on each side of the battery, positive and negative. Aluminium is a very good conductor by the way. Anyway, by doing this, it set a small flame in the middle of the wrapper, I then put the flame into my tinder and wooosh! Fire. I wonder if this could be implemented into DayZ, because everyone spawns with a flashlight, and most supermarkets/markets have gum in them! Thoughts?

EDIT: There should be a dexterity system with this so not everyone can just go starting fires all the time with just this method, there should be a high fail % to counter the high % of gum found in supermarkets. Maybe the risk is you burn your finger or something.

EDIT: If you have an idea or thought concerning this post, just put it out (fail pun).

Edited by thegalakrondian
  • Like 6

That actually sounds like a good idea, with the title I wasn't expecting it to be :P.

Cool idea for later in the SA build probably. As Rocket has stated before he is an ultra-realist and I would not be surprised once the basics were down if research in such areas of beyond basic knowledge of survival was implemented in the game. Such as the thing you mentioned or breaking sticks of trees to rub them together, etc. I am not a survivalist, boy scout or what have you... So I would not know to what extent they could go, but if this crafting engine/module is put it, I would not be surprised at the limitations.

Cool idea for later in the SA build probably. As Rocket has stated before he is an ultra-realist and I would not be surprised once the basics were down if research in such areas of beyond basic knowledge of survival was implemented in the game. Such as the thing you mentioned or breaking sticks of trees to rub them together, etc. I am not a survivalist, boy scout or what have you... So I would not know to what extent they could go, but if this crafting engine/module is put it, I would not be surprised at the limitations.

I like it.

That actually sounds like a good idea, with the title I wasn't expecting it to be :P.

Thank you :D

climbing a tree and using your as50 to conduct lighting and set fire to the ground also works

climbing a tree and using your as50 to conduct lighting and set fire to the ground also works

You'd need something to counter-act that because everyone that has an AS50 will be able to set a fire, while others will not be able to. I like it though.

Edited by thegalakrondian

Being in some situations where I was solo-adventuring through the woods and lost my trail and location (fail), I've used some techniques to save myself from hypothermia at night time. When dusk hit, I took out the batteries in my flashlight, and took out a gum wrapper. I attached the two ends of the aluminium gum wrapper on each side of the battery, positive and negative. Aluminium is a very good conductor by the way. Anyway, by doing this, it set a small flame in the middle of the wrapper, I then put the flame into my tinder and wooosh! Fire. I wonder if this could be implemented into DayZ, because everyone spawns with a flashlight, and most supermarkets/markets have gum in them! Thoughts?

EDIT: There should be a dexterity system with this so not everyone can just go starting fires all the time with just this method, there should be a high fail % to counter the high % of gum found in supermarkets. Maybe the risk is you burn your finger or something.

EDIT: If you have an idea or thought concerning this post, just put it out (fail pun).

steel wool and batteries :3
  • Like 1

Who would figure out that flashlight - batteries + gum = fire.

Edited by SuperFjord