Sign in to follow this  
Babyface

Frame freezes every couple of seconds.. (video) Any ideas?

it looks like it's most likely something to do with your temperature. i had the same problem (on my laptop) and bought a cooling mat, and the problem was gone! best of luck, these things are frustrating

Do you have this in vanilla Arma 2 as well?

It's pretty consistent and it looks like the stutter is caused by the engine loading in new objects.

It might help if you post your system specifications but there's definitely a bottleneck somewhere.

it looks like it's most likely something to do with your temperature. i had the same problem (on my laptop) and bought a cooling mat, and the problem was gone! best of luck, these things are frustrating

I would have guessed the same thing. If you're using a PC, it could be the heatsink/fan (HSF) on your video card has detached partly or the fan is dying on it--have you ever cleaned it out? Might be time to remove it, and reapply quality thermal paste. Else, it could need replacing entirely.

If you're using a laptop I would double check internal system temps (BIOS, or 3rd party software) and be certain you're not over temps. If you are, find a way to cool them as Elf Cakes did. Also (as mentioned by BadLuckBurt) verify you're using vanilla files, and the latest drivers for your device!

Cheers

Do you have this in vanilla Arma 2 as well?

It's pretty consistent and it looks like the stutter is caused by the engine loading in new objects.

It might help if you post your system specifications but there's definitely a bottleneck somewhere.

i7 3770k processor w/ a nice fat cooler (i forget the brand)

gtx 680 direct cuii top GPU

8gGB Corsair ram

650w PSU

win7 os, 2 1tb HDD

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H mobo

Happens with all versions of arma

Edited by Babyface

i7 3770k processor w/ a nice fat cooler (i forget the brand)

gtx 680 direct cuii top GPU

8gGB Corsair ram

650w PSU

win7 os, 2 1tb HDD

Happens with all versions of arma

Just Arma?

And I regularly dust my CPU and GPU. :x

Just Arma?

Well, arma and the dayz mod.

Well, arma and the dayz mod.

rephrase my question does this affect other games?

If that CPU has Hyperthreading which I think it does, try disabling it. I believe it's available as a BIOS setting but maybe it's also possible from within Windows. Arma does not like it at all.

Some further reference:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?80223-Arma-2-amp-Core-i7-Hyperthreading-Tested

http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/115857-this-is-for-people-with-intel-cpus-that-supports-hyperthreading/

Edited by BadLuckBurt

Double check that your CPU and GPU coolers are both 100% secured. I've seen issues with a cooler that isn't firmly seated causing issues just like this.

rephrase my question does this affect other games?

Negative. Just this game. I can play prototype 2, bf3, war thunder, fallout 3.. loads of stuff at maxed settings with a stable 80+ with my rig... But arma is being a bit of a tit to me lately.

wouldn't be so bad if it didn't make me feel physically sick with the freezing and pauses.

If that CPU has Hyperthreading which I think it does, try disabling it. I believe it's available as a BIOS setting but maybe it's also possible from within Windows. Arma does not like it at all.

Some further reference:

http://forums.bistud...hreading-Tested

http://dayzmod.com/f...hyperthreading/

Will take a look in the nvidia cp, thank you.

Negative. Just this game. I can play prototype 2, bf3, war thunder, fallout 3.. loads of stuff at maxed settings with a stable 80+ with my rig... But arma is being a bit of a tit to me lately.

wouldn't be so bad if it didn't make me feel physically sick with the freezing and pauses.

probably hyper threading and tbh those aren't that demanding games.

Double check that your CPU and GPU coolers are both 100% secured. I've seen issues with a cooler that isn't firmly seated causing issues just like this.

After removing my side panel and checking my build, nothing seems loose. This definitely seems arma-side, as other games are non-issues

probably hyper threading and tbh those aren't that demanding games.

I could list my entire steam library but I feel the point is moot

I could list my entire steam library but I feel the point is moot

say something like planetside 2 it is very heavy on cpus but arma doesn't like i7s.

say something like planetside 2 it is very heavy on cpus but arma doesn't like i7s.

Can't say I have ever played that.

I'm going to leave my pc off for a few hours and see if I've left it idling for too long. Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

Can't say I have ever played that.

I'm going to leave my pc off for a few hours and see if I've left it idling for too long. Thank you to everyone who offered advice.

very cpu intensive game on steam.

I had a similar issue and could not find any fixes. All other games were fine. I verified my Arma files through Steam, redownloaded Day Z blah blah.....I ended up reformating my computer as a last ditch measure and THAT fixed it. By the time I got DayZ running again my heli was gone lol.