Furcas

My experience with spawning with no weapons

Finding out I had no gun when I spawned was rather a shock, even worse, was managing to agro roughly 5 zombies.

Then as I ran in a building, an armed survivor rushed to my rescue, taking them out for me, rather than shooting me down like I would of expected.

After running around electro for a bit, I decided to test out the zombie LOS, and the hiding mechanic. So after running around like a lunatic, not getting shot surprisingly, I ran in and out of sheds, losing the lot of them. However, I did get damaged by one, and used up my bandage to stop the bleeding.

After venturing around the city, I managed to piss off another one (I'm still trying to figure out a safe distance to sneak around them, since the detection mechanic has been changed) I got hit again, and bled out.

After several more goes running around main cities, not something I usually do, I think I've tried it enough to give a good opinion of the changes.

My thoughts: The idea of spawning with no weapons was interesting, would see to make things tougher, but I've noticed that there is less instances of the 'bean wars'. I've yet to come across someone camping survivor spawns for bandages and pain killers, so that maybe is a one off for me. However, hiding from zombies is more of a run-through-buildings type deal, and was too easy to do, removing the threat of the chase, rather than the 'gingerbread man' deal that was before. Hopefully this is fixed so its a lot harder to lose the Zed.

Tl;DR

No weapons is fun, Hiding from zombies is broken.

Finding out I had no gun when I spawned was rather a shock' date=' even worse, was managing to agro roughly 5 zombies.

Then as I ran in a building, an armed survivor rushed to my rescue, taking them out for me, rather than shooting me down like I would of expected.

After running around electro for a bit, I decided to test out the zombie LOS, and the hiding mechanic. So after running around like a lunatic, not getting shot surprisingly, I ran in and out of sheds, losing the lot of them. However, I did get damaged by one, and used up my bandage to stop the bleeding.

After venturing around the city, I managed to piss off another one (I'm still trying to figure out a safe distance to sneak around them, since the detection mechanic has been changed) I got hit again, and bled out.

After several more goes running around main cities, not something I usually do, I think I've tried it enough to give a good opinion of the changes.

My thoughts: The idea of spawning with no weapons was interesting, would see to make things tougher, but I've noticed that there is less instances of the 'bean wars'. I've yet to come across someone camping survivor spawns for bandages and pain killers, so that maybe is a one off for me. However, hiding from zombies is more of a run-through-buildings type deal, and was too easy to do, removing the threat of the chase, rather than the 'gingerbread man' deal that was before. Hopefully this is fixed so its a lot harder to lose the Zed.

Tl;DR

[/quote']

same with me, i know where to find good shit so i just run through the citys and LOS the zeds ( so many people suck at shooting )

I haven't memorised spawn locations in the cities, I tend to avoid them in general, but I was too excited about the new features, to miss up a chance to test them out fully.

I don't aggro zombies often, but I haven't found it easy to lose them. Just earlier today I got a horde of about 15 on me at the NW airfield, I ran through every building leading to the fire station and then climbed to the top of it only to have pretty much all of them follow me up the stairs.

Hmm, odd. Every time I ran into the fire station, I walked up those stairs, and all the zombies moped around the bottom, with only two making it up to the second level.

I enjoyed the lack of a weapon.. I had my most rewarding life yet and never used a gun! Admittedly it was after a couple of deaths discovering the Zs had eagle eyesight.

I headed north, hoping to find a pistol in some small outlying buildings dotted around the place, and after lots of crawling I managed to find lots of extra bits an pieces, flares, matches (finally), pistol ammo, but no gun.

In all this, I inevitably managed to get the attention of a few Zs and ended up in a mad sprint into the woods hoping the thick trees and bushes would affect their LOS.. ..no such luck. It would appear only buildings block LOS. Bushes and trees (used to act as concealment in OPFP/ARMA) don't seem to count.

Eventually I managed to lose them by (I think) running down a steep embankment - therefore out of sight due to the ground being in the way.

No weapon - lost lots of blood - used my last bandage - somehow not dead! No matter! - to the next town for supplies!

As I struggled through a bush at the top of a steep hill I pretty much walked into the back of a tractor before realized what it was. Great - a broken vehicle. But wait.. all the wheels are there, it looks in good condition. Bet you it has no fuel...

Incredibly it had 1/2 a tank.. I spent the next few minutes tearing down the road looking for buildings to FIND THAT PISTOL! Lots if empty cans, and a hatchet but no weapons of any kind!

A long drive later (involving a certain degree of zombie-mowing, and finding and swapping to a fully functioning car) and I came across a cow at the side of the road. Fantastic - a cow, and i have matches, hatchet, knife, but NO GUN! The first time i have actually managed to gather all the bits for a useful camp fire - and no way to shoot the cow!

I was so obsessed with the lack of a gun it took me a couple of minutes to realize I could just run it over with the car... Man those cows are tough. 3 hits at full speed finally brought it down.

One brief campfire later and i was near full blood, colour vision, and on my merry way. Next stop - northern airfield.

I arrived at full throttle expecting the airfield to be full of bandits blasting it out but it was actually pretty quiet. Plenty of Zs - so i set about mowing them down with the car to clear out an area so i could sprint in to the buildings. At this point no sooner had i wiped out the last Z, that even more spawned.

Anyway - I ended up with a nice AK with a few rounds... managed to wreck the car though.

Oh well things were looking good! Next I was going to:SERVER DIED.

I realize this was when lots of people were having problems after the 1.7.1 patch, but I actually had good fun with it! Even though Z respawn was ridiculous, and loot was messed up. Where there's a will there's a way!

*longer post than initially expected.

I really like spawning without weapons. It fixes the coastal bean wars a little and makes me focus even more on survival. Ran into multiple survivors with weapons on the coast and to my surprise i wasn't shot. A simple salute and everyone was on his way again.

The only thing that could be nerfed a little is the spawn rate for ammo. After half an hour of playing, my backpack is full of shotgun ammo and i got 6 makarov clips. It would really be nice if we were forced to make every shot count and think twice before shooting.

I really dig the new hiding mechanics. Works pretty well for me, as long as you only got a few zombies on you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebZTIQA_0Q )

Its these kind of stories that make me grin. Even though DayZ is still in alpha, the experiences are there to remember.

I hope rocket doesn't revert the spawning equipment, running around with a torch trying to find at least something to defend yourself with is the most exciting part of the game so far.

I even would go so far to say I would support any decision to make weapons and ammo more rare. To the point where in all of electro, you could probably only find two or three guns at any given time.

Maybe later in development, there could be an option for that.

I am, admitedly, a dick in game (who are we kidding, I'm a dick full time)...

When I kill someone on the shore, it's not for their tasty, tasty beans and makarov rounds, it's for the target practice and fun of it.

While a lot of you folks with high morals and good intentions may dig this so far, I just got a DMR for the first time and I need to get used to adjusting elevation... just saying.

With this modification the game DayZ has become a joke. I will cease playing forthwith. I am sure thousands of other players will do the same.

This is supposed to be a "survivor" game. When you have the average lifespan of characters sitting at 30 minutes...that isn't what this is. But you are persisting in making the game more difficult to placate the strange demands of people who enjoy dying every thirty minutes. This is more of a death match game apparently. All you whacks out there can enjoy it.

I will continue to view the forums to see if you return to some kind of sanity.

I think that if you're gonna spawn-rape, then you're gonna spawn-rape; regardless of when and how you got your gun... so spawning without a gun is not necessarily a "Fix" for that.

But I also think not having a weapon to start with makes the first few moments in the game that much more desperate an dinteresting... It gives you a clear initial goal. Priority 1. GET A GUN!

As i found though, you can still do get pretty damned far without finding one at all, let alone firing a shot. I got all the way to NW airfield with no weapon, and plenty of contact with zombies!

You have to be pretty passive to get shot at the spawn.. Weave like a carpet-maker and get in that tree line!

While this may be true, finding a gun is still as hard as ever. Only got lucky once in a small obscure town in which all I got was a revolver and a pack of bullets. Pistols should spawn at least 50% in every town. People are bound to have guns in Russia :P

...However' date=' hiding from zombies is more of a run-through-buildings type deal, and was too easy to do, removing the threat of the chase, rather than the 'gingerbread man' deal that was before. Hopefully this is fixed so its a lot harder to lose the Zed.

Tl;DR

[/quote']

What does 'gingerbread man' deal mean?

edit - remove double post

What does 'gingerbread man' deal mean?

Run run as fast as you can' date=' you cant catch me i'm the gingerbread man.... until you get tricked by the fox. Which is either more zombies, a trigger happy player, or screwed on the geometry.

Its a terrible metaphor, but the only one I could think of at the time.

With this modification the game DayZ has become a joke. I will cease playing forthwith. I am sure thousands of other players will do the same.

This is supposed to be a "survivor" game. When you have the average lifespan of characters sitting at 30 minutes...that isn't what this is. But you are persisting in making the game more difficult to placate the strange demands of people who enjoy dying every thirty minutes. This is more of a death match game apparently. All you whacks out there can enjoy it.

I will continue to view the forums to see if you return to some kind of sanity.

You must be doing something wrong to continue dying in the first half hour. I'm not the greatest at video games, but I can still get into a city, grab some very basic supplies, and into the woods safe 'n sound, even on a full server.

I find starting with no gun helps the coastal bean wars. Before when I respawned I'd make my way back to my buddies and I'd head toward any gunfire I heard along the way - whether it was a guy with a Makarov, or a band of people with AKs. I had nothing to lose and there's a chance I could quickly double up on supplies.

I still have nothing to lose when I spawn now, but I can't kill anyone without a gun. Not that finding a gun is even difficult, the 2 times I died in 1.7.1.1 I had assault rifles within 30 minutes. My average life span is probably around 10 hours and that's 10 hours of me actively looking for a fight. If there are some that die seemingly every 20 minutes they have no one to blame but themselves. Should the game be catered to those that aren't very good at it?