Sign in to follow this  
elite_commando

FPS Fluctuation

i7 975

asus gtx 670

6gb ram

win 7 ultumate 64bit

game installed on crucial m4 SSD 128gb

game fluctuates between 80 fps down to 0 , literally making the game look like it freezes every 2 seconds, only running dayz mod does it do this vanilla arma runs fine, its never done it in the past ( i had to reformat about 2 weeks ago ) and just last night i reinstalled the game and mod , ive tried reinstalling mod and multiple servers and it hasnt helped..

any idea what could cause this?

i7 975

asus gtx 670

6gb ram

win 7 ultumate 64bit

game installed on crucial m4 SSD 128gb

game fluctuates between 80 fps down to 0 , literally making the game look like it freezes every 2 seconds, only running dayz mod does it do this vanilla arma runs fine, its never done it in the past ( i had to reformat about 2 weeks ago ) and just last night i reinstalled the game and mod , ive tried reinstalling mod and multiple servers and it hasnt helped..

any idea what could cause this?

Huh. Try the following: set the following variables in your Arma2OA.cfg file accordingly and see if it fixes anything and if not you can just change them back. Basically the following determines how many rendering buffers the game engine will use. For some reason performance is poor(-er) unless standard double buffering is used, even on systems that should see benefits:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;
GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1;

You could also check your temps (which should be fine) just in case you're running a little hot. My brother's computer had a cyclic problem similar to yours where a (any) game he would be playing would have reasonably high (but inconsistent) performance that would then drop arbitrarily. It turned out to be due to abnormally high temps which where in turn caused by excessive dust buildup inside the system.

That might not be the same problem as your's though. Usually problems such as these are resolved via trial and error.

EDIT: I assume the above variables dictate the degree of buffering. I'm not an expert on ARMA 2 configuration though so if I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Edited by Tigerbeetweenie

update:

it looks like deleting and reinstalling both arma 2 and editing the config files worked!

Edited by elite_commando