maxipower

Any Servers with... or few other questions

zombies are too lethal..

I'm sorry what? Too lethal? Be thankful you arent dead in two hits like CoD Zombies. Thats too lethal.

Learn to outsmart the zombies, its not that hard. keep running.

running away from them is hardly an option as always simply agros more and bam your forced to either leave town or have a huge unrealistic train of Z running behind you.

First of all, what is unrealistic about a hoard of zombies chasing you? In a zombie setting, this seems pretty likely to me.

Secondly, you really need to go and play more DayZ. Try ignoring all weapons, ALL OF THEM. No hatchet, nothing. Now run around(empty server even) and try to get all the gear you need. Go to NWAF, go to Cherno, go raid a couple heli crashes. Once you do that, come back and we can discuss this stuff again.

I assure you I can avoid zombies in just about ever scenario, it might take a bit longer, but it's more than doable and it's a skill every dayz player should have under their belt.

I'm sorry what? Too lethal? Be thankful you arent dead in two hits like CoD Zombies. Thats too lethal.

Learn to outsmart the zombies, its not that hard. keep running.

Ieant in terms of movement, they are too unorthodox.

First of all, what is unrealistic about a hoard of zombies chasing you? In a zombie setting, this seems pretty likely to me.

Secondly, you really need to go and play more DayZ. Try ignoring all weapons, ALL OF THEM. No hatchet, nothing. Now run around(empty server even) and try to get all the gear you need. Go to NWAF, go to Cherno, go raid a couple heli crashes. Once you do that, come back and we can discuss this stuff again.

I assure you I can avoid zombies in just about ever scenario, it might take a bit longer, but it's more than doable and it's a skill every dayz player should have under their belt.

I have had NVG, the best gear everything, camped out at the top airfield. lol Ive done everything in this game. Well ive never gotten a car/heli... but mainly due to when i played ages ago, they never worked. I mean a huge train following you, you would;d turn around and give them the dints lol.. its silly looking... all aboard the Z train.

Edited by MaxiPower

You will jog for hours on end in real life... sadly you wont. you are human. I dont know what makes you believe you are anything other than bone and muscle. especially carrying a bag pack and weapons. My uncle climbed Mount Everest, true story... he tried climbing K2 three years later, an avalanche hit him, He survived but it knocked the crap and gutts and balls, any energy he had left outa him. Killed 6 or 8 Russians that were with him. (yea and people say Russians are tough!! He was the only survivor) In no way was any adrenaline gonna get him up that mountain. Please tell me of when you have been in near death situation that could test your theory.

http://en.wikipedia..../Terence_Bannon

Make it if your hit, your infected and you need medical attendion, forcing you to citys that are more populated... hordes of zombies, you go into a house and its got a few more suporises for ya and you turn to see theres a few at the door you entered... your fecked... it will make choosing what house to go into more rewarding.

You just compared jogging for a couple hours to climbing Everest and K2. Enough said.

Ieant in terms of movement, they are too unorthodox.

That has to do with the modified soldier AI used for the zombies and the pathing they have to take. Nothing can be done about it in the mod currently. This will be fixed in the Standalone.

edit: If you really wanna get away from them, take them through a building. The current pathing forces them to walk inside.

Edited by PaxC4T

That has to do with the modified soldier AI used for the zombies and the pathing they have to take. Nothing can be done about it in the mod currently. This will be fixed in the Standalone.

He's talking about their speed, not the path they take.

You just compared jogging for a couple hours to climbing Everest and K2. Enough said.

I used that as an example as I don't know other examples of near death experiences... If you have a more compareable scenario, please, let me hear. But what I do know is I was educated in both school and the school of hard knocks AKA life, that you cannot run forever... adrenalin only gets you so far.

and no its not jogging for hours, in this game you can run forever without a break... Please that factor is important..

Edited by MaxiPower

He's talking about their speed, not the path they take.

Just because they are undead doesn't mean they cant run.

Just because they are undead doesn't mean they cant run.

Oh because there dead they can do whatever they want... sure why dont we let them spout wings and fly... Its not what they can or cant do... Its a game. Its trying to get the perfect balance.. You all have said yourselves that Zombies are too easy to get away from... Then why is change hard to accept. Why refuse ideas for alterations if the Z are sooo flawed?

I didn't say someone could run forever. I said a couple hours jog is possible especially if death is the alternative. Every time you slowed or stopped and the zombies came upon you, your adrenaline will kick in and get you moving again. Humans are wired like that so we don't get eaten by the first carnivore that chases us.

We've also got this unique ability to out think most predators. Which is why you'll never see me running away from zombies for any significant length of time in dayz.

I didn't say someone could run forever. I said a couple hours jog is possible especially if death is the alternative. Every time you slowed or stopped and the zombies came upon you, your adrenaline will kick in and get you moving again. Humans are wired like that so we don't get eaten by the first carnivore that chases us.

We've also got this unique ability to out think most predators. Which is why you'll never see me running away from zombies for any significant length of time in dayz.

Arma already has a stamina system. It's not perfect, but stopping a person from jogging (which is what you're suggesting) is silly. If death is my punishment for stopping, I'll jog for hours on end. Just like any sane human would. We have the ability to override what our body tells us and keep going.

Running zombies are a part of DayZ, making the rest of the game more difficult is never going to make up for that. I don't get hit much currently, how is more damage per hit going to make anything more difficult when the zombies are even easier to avoid?

That says to me that you will run until you get away, hours to on end, represents till the end of time if need be and with a bag and a gun you could do that no problem... because of your adrenaline and what your body says

Now now... of course i don't take you literally, but in Arma itself you can run forever. So a stamina system would be realistic and not so farfetched...Besides you run for a solid 20 mins with a bagpack and a gun... and ill personally give you a medal..

Edited by MaxiPower

They're not undead, they're infected with a virus.

Have you two never seen 28 days later?

Great film, i'm more a fan of the classic zombies... infected, undead, walkers, whatever those things in Resi evil 4 were (cant think of name) really their the same. even George Romeros slow dead walkers were considered infected... see Dawn of the Dead, the 2004 remake...

Perhaps "hours on end" is a local idiom that you're unfamiliar with, I'm sorry I used that. To me it means many hours, not indefinitely.

My point by saying "hours on end" was to bring attention to how a real human could potentially jog for over an hour. Meaning any stamina system put in place would be so extreme that it wouldn't play a part. Nobody jogs in arma for over an hour, you could, but it's not something that happens. So given the extreme distance someone could jog before being forced into walking, is there any point in putting that stamina system into play? If you're suggesting we dumb down the numbers for the sake of the game, I couldn't disagree more, that has failed in every game I've tried.

Perhaps "hours on end" is a local idiom that you're unfamiliar with, I'm sorry I used that. To me it means many hours, not indefinitely.

My point by saying "hours on end" was to bring attention to how a real human could potentially jog for over an hour. Meaning any stamina system put in place would be so extreme that it wouldn't play a part. Nobody jogs in arma for over an hour, you could, but it's not something that happens. So given the extreme distance someone could jog before being forced into walking, is there any point in putting that stamina system into play? If you're suggesting we dumb down the numbers for the sake of the game, I couldn't disagree more, that has failed in every game I've tried.

nah lol Ive heard the phrase... tbh i read it wrong the first time so had to get a suitable response that wasnt silly. ;)

Logical, yes, But Dayz isnt to scale, Yea theres the 24 hour cycle... but look at how often you have to drink or eat. You dont drink in Dayz for a few hours you die... thats hardly to scale, same as food. Yes there are people who have lasted weeks without food. Yes you have to take into account that people that lasted weeks were problary not doing much moving but still you can last days, again with adreline without food and still be active.

If per say stamina was implemented, it would be nice if you had to sleep.. (yea the online wouldnt reallt work, but an offline mode were it did fast forward 6 hours or so would be cool... really id like that for offline. means if you wanna choose to play at night you could.

The game is based on random people not elite runners or soldiers so id say 20 mins with a bag pack and gun would be average for most people, and not being sexest but women characters would be less, an hour i would say your legs would carry you with adrenaline in real life if your lucky. without the pack yea you could run for hours but not with a pack no way.

In game the longer you have your player, they could implement a system were you get fitter. opertunitys are endless.

Edited by MaxiPower

nah lol Ive heard the phrase... tbh i read it wrong the first time so had to get a suitable response that wasnt silly. ;)

Logical, yes, But Dayz isnt to scale, Yea theres the 24 hour cycle... but look at how often you have to drink or eat. You dont drink in Dayz for a few hours you die... thats hardly to scale, same as food. Yes there are people who have lasted weeks without food. Yes you have to take into account that people that lasted weeks were problary not doing much moving but still you can last days, again with adreline without food and still be active.

If per say stamina was implemented, it would be nice if you had to sleep.. (yea the online wouldnt reallt work, but an offline mode were it did fast forward 6 hours or so would be cool... really id like that for offline. means if you wanna choose to play at night you could.

The game is based on random people not elite runners or soldiers so id say 20 mins with a bag pack and gun would be average for most people, and not being sexest but women characters would be less, an hour i would say your legs would carry you with adrenaline in real life if your lucky. without the pack yea you could run for hours but not with a pack no way.

In game the longer you have your player, they could implement a system were you get fitter. opertunitys are endless.

There used to be a eating and drinking system that was to scale. People whined that they had to log in to eat and drink every day or they would die. Then it was changed so you wouldn't die, but when you logged in your food and drink would be flashing. And finally it was dumbed down yet again to what we have now, where you eat and drink based on time played, of course to keep food and drink a part of the game they changed the need to more often than real life.

When it comes to realism and scaling in game, you can't simply point to eating and drinking and say if it's not perfect, everything else doesn't have to be. The point of DayZ isn't to make it 100% realz, it's to make it an authentic experience. So, it's a case by case basis as far as the realism goes.

I've suggested sleep be added to the game.(http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98914-sleeping/) Hopefully something happens with it in standalone.

Okay, so what if we added a stamina system where after 20minutes of jogging you had to stop and walk. Would that add anything to the game besides annoying people trying to jog across the map? It's not like you'd be running 20minutes away from zombies, especially if they were made slower. I just don't see any point in a realistic stamina system for enforcing walking, it wouldn't serve the purpose you want it to.

Yea I have to agree it would become annoying... But alas, isn't that the points of cars and bikes? Like realisticly cars wouldnt be as sparce... Not saying everyone has to get a car, but a few fully working ones at random spawns would be nice)

And further If we look at the game as it is now, forget the standalone for a second... Most villages are useless, there are some places that literally contain no buildings, nothing to hide in nor items around, so literally nothing of value, waste space. so come the standalone, in theory, we should be doing less running as there will be more buildings to check. Going back to the number of Z, i would not only increase them in numbers and reduce there speed, but due to the sheer more amount, they would need less sight and hearing... slightly to balance the amount of them... raiding a town could be huge decision... like resting up to take on a town rather than running from town to town would be more intense I think.

Like as it is now, ya basically can run through the streets, have a few Z chasing ya and not bother with them. adding stamina could make you think. if i were to do it, i wouldnt have a COD like stamina were you run and rest few secs then can run again.. defo sleep would be needed to rest your character... like if your playing for more than 6 hours a day, you should feel your character getting tired and a sleep should be required... it would make tents more viable... even 15min lie downs inside tents would suffice or round a fire... Really I could get lost in the DayZ world if i was creating it lol.

PS my take on sleep wouldnt be it leaves ya vunerable but rather sleeping counts as being logged off basically so when you log off thats basically your character going to sleep... though you would need to be in a reasonablle poistion to beable to log off line in a field or house or something, not like the middle of the street.

Edited by MaxiPower

I don't mind it being annoying for cross map runs, my point was that there would be no other changes to most peoples game. We'd end up with the same results because most people don't run for 20minutes to get away from zombies.

The stamina system already has a part in the game. You can't be accurate with a firearm if you're breathing heavy. This plays a big part in dealing with zombies, and will play an even bigger part when the walking indoors is no more. You can't just run away, turn and pop some heads. Also, you can't just run up to someone and be super accurate. Or if you ran all the way to NWAF, you'll have to take a rest if you plan on killing the zombies around the barracks with a firearm.

Sure, it could play a bigger part in the game, and I hope it factors into the melee attacks at some point.(if it doesn't already) I just don't think forcing people to walk will ever be something I want to see in DayZ. Not because it's unrealistic, but because it's such a huge gray area, that leaving it out works the best in most cases.

Also, I don't think considering factors from the standalone will help our discussion progress, let's just focus on what's here and what we know for sure.

I would say make the zombies slower. I would prefer more "walking dead" like zombies. Some can move faster than others, and if you want loot you will have to clear a house for it. I think turning around a corner at a military spawn and seeing twenty zombies would be quite frightening. The zombies are more of a threat if they guard loot points. Right now you can just run into a firestation and run out the back after looting. I think there should be like 15 zombies inside so they prevent you from looting.

I think this would cause more smart play, and solve many problems like KOS cod kiddies and the like.

zombies too hard... this again... to my knowledge they are still deaf and blind at the time

im a moron? sorry ya dont start with a gun, zombies are too lethal..

FACT is, if Dean Hall doesnt include features for "noobs" like me, Its only a matter of time before somebody makes a Dayz clone that works and will pluck players from this. Im not asking much, the aiming in this game is ass, the ammo is too scarce (though only scare because you have to use it at silly times on annoying zombies. zombies are not hard to kill but rather they are quite frankly annoying. When ya dont have a weapon, nobody likes running for several minutes just to get them off your back.

Like i said, Up the numbers of them.... make it they hit harder... like less hits and your dead... but there slower... easy balance...

If hes going for immersion thats the right way to go... Zombies kill, scratches should be infectious and deadly... not ya eat a tin of pasta and your healed.. silly decisions like that hold this game back. I can see why maybe this is the way it has to be in the mod, but i heard him say he can up the numbers in the full game... he better make this alteration or im out lol. quite frankly its boring, repetitive, "oh zombies seen me, now i have to run for 5 mins to get them off my back." yawn

There are so many things wrong with this. Firstly, stop blaming Dean Hall for things he has no control over, like whether you spawn with a gun. All you have to do is join a server with a starter load out, there are PLENTY of them.

There are other Day Z maps are the same as DayZ but with a different approach to zombies and loot, so you aren't going to have to wait for someone to clone DayZ after all, you'll just have to find a map that suits you.

Zombie hits can give you an infection so scratches are dangerous as you say they should be, and a can of pasta cannot heal you like you say they do.

You shouldn't have to run for 5min to get zombies off your back either unless you haven't had much experience.

You're right that you aren't asking much, as you are not asking for anything not already implemented.

Note: Dean is working on the standalone now, waiting for him to do anything with the DayZ mod wont do you much good.

• Like 2

Dear lord my eyes I'm partially color blind so excuse my ignorance on the parts I couldn't read. Anyways it sounds like a lot of things you want slower zeds more zeds better pathfinding is not something that can be done in the mod I'm sure when the standalone comes out it will be possible. As for the stamina argument I understand what you mean realistically you can't run full gear forever however this is just a game and if the ever put in a slow ass pace like warz I honestly would not play the standalone I guess call me impatient I can not stand sitting holding w for hours while my guy walks 1/2 a mile per hour with the occasional sprinting.

Why bother with zombies? Just run away from them and hide in a bush/pinetree when far enough away.

Nice idea OP, a different system of Z AI would also be interesting, atleast interesting enough for me to be able to give it a shot anyway.. (: hoping to see this "slower", "more", "better AI" ideas will be doable in S.A! =)

Edit:Btw this game has the base of "28 days later".. :P As it sees the Z's like still alive but infected by a virus that makes the humens lika monsters that want just fresh flesh, which human-beings have.. =) So yeah, I would like to see ur idea to be implementable as well, but it looks like very unlikely... ^^

Edited by SoulHunter