Don't Panic

Single Player Tutorial

I think it might be handy to have a small single player tutorial/trial mode, that consisted of a small map, a few buildings and an appropriate amount of zombies.

This might allow players to get used to the required ways of moving around zombies, figure out what types of buildings are enterable, and so on, without having to go online. I think this would have a number of benefits, including:

a) reduced frustration from new players. I remember after waiting a really long time to get into a server, the learning curve was pretty steep. Constantly dying at first only increased frustration as respawning was glitchy, and that only impeded the learning process.

b) Helping players in the game with established characters adapt to changes in zombie behaviour right after patches, without loosing their characters to glitches that were not caught. While I understand that finding glitches are part of testing, I'd be annoyed to loose a character that I'd been with a long time to zombie behaviour I couldn't even reasonably anticipate.

Thoughts?

Meh, the learning curve is all part of the experience in my opinion. Adding a tutorial would just make it too 'gamey' and less of a hardcore survival experience.

+1 from me, im kinda new but im used to it now, but this would be very handy considering how smart the zombies are now.

I think a single player tutorial is a great idea, and could add to the ambience of the mod rather than subtract from it: Imagine controlling a guy in a pre-outbreak world, where you are doing everyday mundane stuff, like packing a bag before going to work (inventory management), driving a car to work (vehicle control), chopping wood (showing the inventory-right-click mechanism), eating a can of beans for lunch, shooting a wild boar that shows up, etc.

The ambience could come from radio news broadcasts that talk about "worldwide rioting". The whole tutorial could end by you trying to outrun some zombies that shows up.

When I started playing ARMA II some six months back, I thought the controls were pretty clunky. I've gotten used to it by now, and think the controls are fine now, but I think new players who bought ARMA for this mod should be cushioned more into the control scheme, to avoid frustration that definetly will subtract from the survival experience. Especially after the removal of side/global chat, as it is now impossible to ask more experienced players for help. Furthermore, some controls are DayZ-specific, such as going to the inventory and right clicking to use stuff.

In summary: A tutorial is a great idea and could add to the ambience of this mod.

I disagree with OP. I do agree with first response, though. It's a survival, war-time simulator based video game. Not a corporate-funded, "hey everyone, enjoy, it's easy and great!" game for the masses. The game is designed for people who want a challenge and a zombie post-apocalyptic experience. To be honest, what is the difference between dying in single player mode, and dying on a server? Nothing, really. I think about 2-3 hours I had a pretty good idea of all the basics. Only had to die 2-3 times for it to work out like that.

This isn't CoD, you don't log on with prior FPS experience and slaughter people. You need to learn some new things, e.g. a clunkier interface and handling, slower acquisition of items and inventory, slower progress through the game, and a greater loss of equipment.

Just hop on a server and enjoy, sir.

Games like this should feel challenging, but the challenge should come from the inadequacy of the player, not the unfairness of the game. Making it to where we can't see the controls, now that would be challenging and realistic. Fair? Hell no. There's a balance there. Some people LIKE being thrown into the game not knowing what to expect, and some people research and look up the game, how to play, tips on where to search, maps of the game world, etc. No amount of complaining about how you're supposed to play the game will stop these people. In my opinion, you should support people playing the game however they wish as long as it doesn't impact others. An optional tutorial for new players could serve as an introduction to mechanics that they're unfamiliar with, like the inventory and healing systems that I had to look up to figure out, as well as practicing sneaking and such. Complaining that it ruins the game for other people seems laughable to me, because they will choose to play the tutorial or not to depending on how they want to play.

A tutorial would be excellent.