taco241

DayZ and Bandwidth - some numbers

Hi all,

In case anyone's interested, I did some testing to find out what sort of bandwidth DayZ uses.

This is by no means a comprehensive analysis. Just some numbers in case you're interested.

I ran each test for about 15 to 20 minutes, disconnected, and ran it again.

I only started recording rates once my character has fully spawned in.

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 76 kbps, Avg upload: 216 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 69.4 kbps, Avg upload: 420 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 72.5 kbps, Avg upload: 383 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, daytime, 13 players - Avg download: 96.3 kbps, Avg upload: 228.0 Kbps

Taviana 2.0, daytime, 8 players - Avg download: 72.5 kbps, Avg upload: 77.4.0 Kbps

Vanilla mod 1.7.6.6, daytime, 23 players - Avg download: 120 kbps, Avg upload: 86 Kbps

Vanilla mod 1.7.6.6, daytime, 8 players - Avg download: 101 kbps, Avg upload: 322 Kbps

So in about 2 hours of playing, I had an average Down of 87Kb/sec. and Up of 247 KB/sec

That equals 306 Megabytes per hour Down and 868 Megabytes Up. (1.14GB total)

For those with bandwidth caps, this might help explain your increased bill each month.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, I cranked up a couple of games to compare:

Chivalry: medieval warfare - Download: 42Kbps. Upload: 36Kbps

Counter Strike (arms race mode) - Download: 170 Kbps. Upload 60Kbps.

I run a stock i5 2500K CPU, 4GB RAM, stock Radeon HD 6850 and get a typical framerate of 40-60 FPS on "very high" settings.

Please share your stats. I'd like to know what other games stack up.

• Like 1

you should post your Arma2OA parameters on server side (and client side)

I have a quite different upload value (my servers use half of what you found), maybe you are talking on what you saw on your client side.

With 3 vanilla dayz servers, let's say 120 players at the same time, I get 17 Mbps upload and 13 Mbps download on the server side.

With following parameters:

MaxBandwidth=200000000;

MinBandwidth= 80000000;

MaxMsgSend=1024;

MinErrorToSend=0.005;

MinErrorToSendNear=0.1;

MaxSizeGuaranteed=1348;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed=400;

Ya I have no idea about server parameter. I'm just a player.

I thought I'd eliminate the variables by recording my rates from different servers.

Try logging in to another server (not your own) as a player and see what sort of numbers you get.

I'd be curious

Hi all,

In case anyone's interested, I did some testing to find out what sort of bandwidth DayZ uses.

This is by no means a comprehensive analysis. Just some numbers in case you're interested.

I ran each test for about 15 to 20 minutes, disconnected, and ran it again.

I only started recording rates once my character has fully spawned in.

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 76 kbps, Avg upload: 216 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 69.4 kbps, Avg upload: 420 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, nighttime, 2 players - Avg download: 72.5 kbps, Avg upload: 383 Kbps

Panthera 1.8, daytime, 13 players - Avg download: 96.3 kbps, Avg upload: 228.0 Kbps

Taviana 2.0, daytime, 8 players - Avg download: 72.5 kbps, Avg upload: 77.4.0 Kbps

Vanilla mod 1.7.6.6, daytime, 23 players - Avg download: 120 kbps, Avg upload: 86 Kbps

Vanilla mod 1.7.6.6, daytime, 8 players - Avg download: 101 kbps, Avg upload: 322 Kbps

So in about 2 hours of playing, I had an average Down of 87Kb/sec. and Up of 247 KB/sec

That equals 306 Megabytes per hour Down and 868 Megabytes Up. (1.14GB total)

For those with bandwidth caps, this might help explain your increased bill each month.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just for fun, I cranked up a couple of games to compare:

Chivalry: medieval warfare - Download: 42Kbps. Upload: 36Kbps

Counter Strike (arms race mode) - Download: 170 Kbps. Upload 60Kbps.

I run a stock i5 2500K CPU, 4GB RAM, stock Radeon HD 6850 and get a typical framerate of 40-60 FPS on "very high" settings.

Please share your stats. I'd like to know what other games stack up.

Can you give the value of each setting in the advanced setting menu? (this will go into the details of the very high settings). Like your AA, texture setting, postprocessing etc, can you list it all?

Also did you overclock your cpu or gpu?

I have the same setting except I have a 6870 instead of a 6850. I get about those frames as well.

Edited by walten34

Can you give the value of each setting in the advanced setting menu? (this will go into the details of the very high settings). Like your AA, texture setting, postprocessing etc, can you list it all?

Also did you overclock your cpu or gpu?

I have the same setting except I have a 6870 instead of a 6850. I get about those frames as well.

Sure thing. Here are my setting (these options were not selected with careful attention):

Resolution: 1280 x 960

Texture detail: very high

Video Memory: very high

Anisotropic Filtering: Normal

Antialiasing: Normal

ATOC: All trees +

Terrain Detail: High

Object Detail: High

Shadow detail: High

Shadow Quality: Normal

PPAA: FXAA (SharpNormal)

Postprocessing: Low

...that's about it.

I use Fraps to measure framerate. It caps out at exactly 60. So I don't know if that's a Fraps cap or just my true top FPS.

Nothing is overclocked.

• Like 1

I switch between two monitors.

I prefer using my 31" Apple Cinema display (2560x1600),

but that's my work computer (graphic design) so when it's in use I default to my cheap 1440x900 LCD.

Interestingly, I just did a run in Southern Panthera, the big city, Zappado, in the desert. My FPS was 60 the whole time I was in the area, which was about an hour.

but then I looted a barracks, and my FPS dropped to high 30s-low 40s and stayed that way (I logged off 5 minutes later).

Weird.

Good info, no wonder it doesn't matter too much when my wife is watching netflix. My monthly usage so far is 331 GB so I'm sure DayZ is a very small portion of that. I don't have caps though.

Are you noting the difference between bits and bytes? Since internet speed is measured in bits (lower case B) and data is typically measured in bytes (upper case B). You used both. Just wondering.