Sign in to follow this  
Charly (DayZ)

Noise bombs/traps

The latest and greatest thing since broadcasting your location and running with a flare to let everyone know where the hell you are!

Had an idea a few days ago for town-clearing equipment and this one's the one that made most sense. These bombs would not be stand alone finds like frag grenades, I was thinking you'd need parts for these bombs like an alarm clock, wires and a propane tank or something similar. Kinda' like the pipe bombs in Left 4 Dead but stationary. Of course you'd need the proper requirements, like a toolkit. I'm not sure how Arma modding works but once the bomb is set and the alarm goes off it would attract all/most (depending where you put it in relation to a town you're clearing) of the zeds and after a preset amount of time, or remote detonation, it would go off and kill everything in a certain radius and cripple the rest depending on how many zeds are gathered near the bomb and how far away others are.

The actual parts would be rare and the propane tank would take up a lot of space. Not to mention it would make enough noise upon detonation to wake up Tutankhamun and his mother.

What about using all those empty cans and whiskey bottles to make a simple trip wire trap that rattles cans or smashes whiskey bottles? Could set up in towns to make life difficult for other players (by alerting zeds) or to alert use to the presence of other players or zeds. Could possibly do something similar with flares for night time.

*use =you

I like this idea. I would like rattle traps, Get some thread or string and attatch some tin cans to it so when people trip a wire or bump into it it clanks and rattles like crazy making noise and alerting everyone and everything within 50 yards.

Idea is really great, and I'd love to see more crafting in this game. There's only one word that makes me think twice about it: griefing. Think about those people who will set such traps in towns for the lulz. There has to be way of recognizing and disarming this trap.

Or the Workin on the Railroad detonater from Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction

There has to be way of recognizing and disarming this trap.

How about a flash? Lets say one of the parts makes the bomb flash red with, for example, a 5 meter radius.

Shooting said flashing part would disarm it. Or you can try your luck and walk up to it to disarm it but that doesn't seem like the smartest idea.

It would also be nice to have the trip wires be able to set off smoke bombs or flares.

As mentioned above, you need to be able to easily identify and disarm traps. IMO traps are meant to catch players walking around unaware to their environment, so the traps should be easy enough to see, if you are looking for them.

You can already clear a town from zombies with smoke grenades, they run to it like moths to a flame. And of course if the situtation is right, you can thow one inside the house that nasty bandit is camping.